First post, by nikiniki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Poll: EGA or Tandy/PCjr mode?

• 7 votes (28%) 7 votes (28%)
  • 18 votes (72%) 18 votes (72%)

To moderators:
I know this topic belongs to millaways section not here. But somehow I can't make a poll from there.

The question:
In Thexder 1, which mode do you like to play the most?
EGA or Tandy/PCjr mode.

Attachments

• thexder-b.png
    Filename
    thexder-b.png
    File size
    3.63 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    PCjr/tandy mode uses 320x200 and displays in 16 colors.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • thexder_000.png
    Filename
    thexder_000.png
    File size
    3.32 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    EGA uses 640x200 and only few colors.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by nikiniki on 2010-07-08, 11:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 63, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always use EGA with GameARTS games. For one, there's more pixel resolution in the artwork than a typical game that throws in EGA support as a second measure that dithers on the fly.
Try it on Zeliard and Firehawk, it makes a difference there more than Thexder.
Also, on a CRT monitor of the time you wouldn't notice the vertical stripes as clearly.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 63, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never did like the look in EGA, even when I had a real EGA card and monitor. Definitely Tandy for me. Looks so much cleaner imho. Not to mention it has better sound. The EGA image only has 6 colours, 4 if you don't count black and white as colours, 2 if you also don't count the yellow and green that are used only in the energy bar. The Tandy image uses 10 colours, including black and white.

Even with the dithering, they only have a total of 11 simulated colours in that shot. That's still less than the EGA could display. They could've gone the whole way and done high resolution without dithering. That would look awesome. Wouldn't have been a speed problem either, because of the way Thexder drew its levels (which was quite ingenious).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 5 of 63, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. It seems they didn't take advantage of EGA capabilities.

One of my favourite EGA games was "If it moves, shoot it" a.k.a "Phantom Fighter". One of the best EGAs I have never seen.

[Moved to Milliways Section now that the poll is on]

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 63, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back when I still had a Tandy 1000, I always opted for Tandy graphics over standard CGA/EGA if the game gave me a choice of which I wanted to use. I really should get another one. I miss how much better a lot of games looked on it.

Reply 7 of 63, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never played Thexder, but the Tandy version (picture a) looks better, despite its lower resolution.

BTW, we can create pool?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 63, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both versions have their good points.

The EGA high-resolution version is closer to the original Japanese computer versions, if not exact. The Japanese computers of the 1980s tended to use high-resolution, low-color graphics (for Kanji support).

The Tandy version is easier on the eyes and more colorful. Both the EGA and the Tandy use the same number of colors. Of equal importance, the Tandy version may be the only way to experience 3-voice Tandy sound.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 9 of 63, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Playing Thexder on my Tandy 1000 SX system I didn't have the option of EGA graphics, but when I eventually tried it on a Pentium system with EGA graphics... I wasn't too impressed. >_>;

I like the Tandy graphics better because they're more solid and colourful. The EGA graphics have better resolution, but not enough IMHO to justify the reduction in colours. Not to mention the Tandy 3-voice support results in much better music and sound and it doesn't work if you're using EGA graphics.

There may actually be other technicals reasons though for choosing one over the other... More recently while playing the Tandy mode I noticed a part in the third level where there's secret enemies you can't make appear at the other side of the flashing wall tunnel and I think it has to do with the way the lasers are drawn. The hit detection with the lasers is pixel-accurate, which means since the EGA mode is using double the horizontal resolution it will result in different hit detection than the Tandy or CGA modes. I haven't tried getting there in EGA mode yet, but I think it may make a difference.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 10 of 63, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I vote tandy, cause back then the sound and the graphics were normally better games on the tandy. And also I have a thing for the SMSS (Sega Master System Sound), so if I had to choose between EGA (shivers) vs. tandy , I would choose tandy any day of the week.

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2010-12-14, 18:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 63, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to dig up an older topic but I had to add my two cents... 😀

I had a Tandy 1000 TX back in the day with a CM-5 RGB monitor. For those who have never gamed on an authentic RGB monitor with a Tandy--you're missing quite a lot. The difference is as noticeable as gaming in CGA on a EGA/VGA tube versus a composite monitor.

The difference is huge.

I managed to get another CM-5 monitor recently and I plopped Thexder back on a Tandy just to be sure my memory isn't fooling me. It isn't.

Thexder looks many times better than the picture above of Tandy graphics on an RGB monitor than you can see with your current tech monitor. I'd say it almost looks like a cross between TGA (Tandy) and VGA due to the way the CM-5's displayed the images. This not only holds true for Thexder, but for all games in Tandy graphics. Bard's Tale is the same thing, even Sentinel Worlds looks amazing on a Tandy RGB monitor.

You have to see it to believe it. Thexder in particular takes on a more "metallic" tone to the world. You really feel immersed in it and it looks like you're battling machines an electronics. I'd take a screenshot but that might not do it justice. I can try. The thing that makes the RGB monitors of the time (you have to have an old one) is that you can see the individual Red Green and Blue elements so an advanced form of "dithering" takes place, as well as the brightness levels are much brighter--and, the tube gives the images a sort of "bilinear filtering" to the images.

Try one of these monitors. You'll be amazed and finally experience Thexder how it should be played. To be fair, I've played it on a PC-88 and others above are correct, it is more like the EGA version (sans multiple lasers at one time, we don't get this on the PC) but--the Tandy version looks the best by far. The PC-88 version sounds the best (and the Apple IIgs).

Reply 13 of 63, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always played Thexder in EGA because that's what I had back in the day (and because Fire Hawk does take better advantage of it), but the Ancient DOS Games webshow on pixelships.com convinced me that Tandy is better for Thexder.

I think the sound argument is overrated, though, as Thexder's "soundtrack" consists of only the title music and one song repeating over and over throughout the entire game, and it doesn't seem to take advantage of Tandy 3-voice for anything other than the music.

Reply 14 of 63, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

rgb monitor looks better eh? I can really see that happen, have actually seen it in amigas.
Back then with the tv-like 15khz rgb monitors with the huge dot pitch all gfx looked better and with more colors too... actually that was an "illusion" of some sorts , like a a hardware bilinear filter that also made gradients look awesome... take the same amiga + game, put a scandoubler in it so it can output normal vga signal on a monitor and immediately you notice crisp gfx but with a drawback: too crisp , colors separate better and the nice "bilinear filter" is gone...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 63, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll have to try and take a few pictures and post them tomorrow I hope. Maybe I'll take a few zoomed in too so you can see the difference up close (though it is more profound when you're a foot or two away as you traditionally would be when playing).

The fact you can still see the rgb elements a foot or two away is pretty neat. Dosbox does a decent job trying to emulate it but the one thing it doesn't let you do is combine it with a filter (plus a flat panel can in way even attempt to get as bright as one of those RGB monitors). I think I might even try displaying it on Dosbox on an old 1993 15-inch CRT I have right besides it on a Tandy CM-5 RGB monitor. That'd be pretty neat now that I mention it to look at.

As for sound--yeah, you're right, it isn't a huge difference in Thexder at least, though I've always found the Tandy music for it catchy. If you want to hear good Tandy SFX, play Sentinel Worlds, they're amazing. The PC-88 version though, the sound effects for Thexder are pretty darned impressive. I think it is actually using a primitive DAC for them. Beating the PC-88 version though... that is a _whole_ different story... it is hard! (the levels are layed out slightly differently too, especially hidden enemies in the walls).

Reply 16 of 63, by nikiniki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So EGA/VGA card also has a composite monitor? I didn't know. I had a PCjr as my first computer. Thexder looks great on the PCjr. Later in 1994, when I bought a 486sx, I was disapointed to see Thexder with less colours.

Reply 18 of 63, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, here are some pictures. I must admit though, my camera took the pictures and got the colors drastically wrong--so, in the .arj file (yes, .arj for all you nostalgic ones he he, I even compressed it using the authentic arj 2.41 commandline that I have in my windows path--don't worry, winrar and winzip can open it), so I used paint.net to try and edit the colors slightly to get them closer but it isn't nearly perfect. Any picture taking tips would be appreciated.

Anyways, here you go. I'll try and get some better ones along with a side by side comparison of dosbox's rgb mode on a CRT versus the CM-5 monitor.

The pictures with a "e" at the end of them are the ones that have been edited for color.

http://rapidshare.com/files/437080001/THEXDER.ARJ

Reply 19 of 63, by nikiniki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why are we need to download a packed file when you can post pictures in this forum? 3 or 4 pictures should be enough. I can't use a download tool from this site. So, a pack of 9 megs of pictures is not worth to download.