VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally started to dig out my collection of games from the 1989-1998 era that have been in storage for the last ten years. I figured I was going to start cataloging it all and selling duplicates and stuff. I made some shelves in the room that i plan to keep them in, but it seems I'm going to run out of room anyways. I need it organized and am having a hard time doing it with the limited space.

Most of the games are simply games in jewel cases with inserts. Those I am ok with as i made shelves that fit those perfectly. However, I have maybe about 100 games in boxes in various conditions and stages of "decay" that i need to do something with. A lot of these games are on 5-1/4" or 3.5" floppies.

How do you store your games? And i don't mean "in a chest in my basement." Do you take them out of boxes, keep manuals somewhere else and flatten the boxes? I've had all my games in storage and i finally want to have them out but i have limited space. Ideally, i'd love some sort of plastic containers for 5-1/4" and 3.5" floppies in a shape similar to cd-cases. That way I could create labels for them and keep them along side normal cd-rom games. However that still creates the problem with the manuals and everything else that comes with all boxed games (especially the older games, some of those came with so much stuff it's unbelievable) that you can quickly reference when you decide to play a game.

I know this post is a little chaotic, but weekend is coming up and i though i might have some time to work on this. I'll post some pictures up as soon as i get it started.

Reply 2 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive got a cd rack that holds about 600 cd's and a dvd rack that hold about 150 dvd's in the living room. the rest along with the big boxes are stored in a cupboard since its the only place they will fit.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Throw away boxes.
Put manuals in plastic bin
Copy CD's to server.
Put CD's in case. (Used to alphabetize but since all CD's are on the server now I just throw them in the case without organizing).
Use external drive for backups (which I keep offsite) and my physical CD's are another form of backup.

Will eventually get around to scanning the manuals and/or downloading them from replacement docs.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 8, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All boxes are on shelves in a closet. Most stand vertical, some are laid across the tops of others for lack of space. 4 shelves of large boxes, 1 shelf of small boxes. Loose jewel cases are in various holders. All CDs and floppies are imaged and stored on a harddrive with a copy of the partition stored on 2 PCs. Additionally, DOS games are backed up as ZIP folders after installing along with any walkthroughs and PDF manuals I can find. I might do something similar with my Windows games.

Reply 6 of 8, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm like DosFreak, I recycle the games boxes and place the floppy or cd/dvd media into a 50/100 count disc spindle and stack these on shelves as well.

If the game/app is a special or collectors item then I keep the box on the shelf along with it's media and manuals, I usually pull out the advert sheets however and recycle these in my paper bins.

One thing I really hate about the media clamshells now is that god aweful magnetic anti-theft strip, it's the first thing that I rip out, it's the same crap they place inside the BluRay or DVD clamshells too 😠

I used to separate my media by platform, but that was a waste of space, so all my C64/C128/Amiga/PC discs and diskettes all get lumped together.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 8 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nero images (NRGs). I still have problems with games that cannot be copied due to SecuROM protection, though.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.