VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just bought a Gravis Ultrasound ACE, but has only 512kb memory and I'd like to upgrade to 1024kb. Anyone here in VOGONS have any spare chips that will upgrade a Gravis Ultrasound ACE's memory to 1024kb?

PS: While I'm at it...I don't have a User's Manual for my ACE. Does anyone know where I can download a .pdf copy of the ACE User's Manual? (I really like reading the docs for my sound cards)

Thanks for any help.

my new baby:
!B%29weI+gB2k~$%28KGrHqN,!gsEv1sfRRvfBMO3BYPEPw~~_12.JPG

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 1 of 14, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With a "cult" following like the UltraSound has...you'd think the owner's manuals would have been committed to .pdf files somewhere on the 'net, wouldn't you?

Reply 2 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually tried, but haven't found one. This page is quite comprehensive, but manuals are only available for GUS Classic and GUS Max.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 14, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the link -- I had not seen that site.

I remember back when "Gravis" soundcards division actually had its "active" place on the web with updated info and drivers, etc (but I only had their joysticks, not any of their soundcards at the time). Too bad I wasn't more forward-thinking, else I could have archived a lot of their files and materials. Of course I also wasn't very cautious about backing up my files back then, so one of my historic hard drive failures would have probably resulted in their disappearance anyway. 😖

Reply 4 of 14, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of those cards... including the original disks and the user manual. I'll see about scanning it to PDF for you.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 6 of 14, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm afraid you may be disappointed. The GUS ACE came with a manual, but it was identical to that of the regular GUS and GUS MAX. Nowhere does it even mention the ACE. I've included the PDF from the driver CD.

The only thing that was really ACE specific was the Installation Guide, which was a single sheet of paper that was folded in three. I've included both a foldable version (if you print it to both sides of a single sheet of paper) and a linear version, which can simply be read through on screen.

Attachments

• Filename
    GUS ACE Manuals.zip
    File size
    4.63 MiB
    Downloads
    466 downloads
    File comment
    ZIPped file with 3 PDFs: the User's Guide (not ACE specific) and 2 layouts of the Installation Guide for the ACE.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 14, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A quick check reveals the manual to be bit for bit identical to the one linked from the site Kreshna linked to 😖

Reply 8 of 14, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, that's *still* great! As long as I've got what Gravis included for the ACE owners, I'm happy. 😀

I won't be installing for another two or three weeks (got lots of "projects" going on right now), but hopefully it won't be quite as difficult getting the ACE up-and-running as some of the other models of UltraSound.

Reply 9 of 14, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digitaldoofus wrote:

but hopefully it won't be quite as difficult getting the ACE up-and-running as some of the other models of UltraSound.

Much easier in fact. 😉

Reply 10 of 14, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aleksej wrote:
digitaldoofus wrote:

but hopefully it won't be quite as difficult getting the ACE up-and-running as some of the other models of UltraSound.

Much easier in fact. 😉

@aleksej: Did you have any difficulty finding the 1MB upgrade memory for your ACE?

Reply 11 of 14, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE: In hopes of obtaining the correct 512K memory chip , I have purchased a (2MB) Diamond Stealth 64 Video 2001 card (S3 Trio64V+), which I read online may have the correct chip for my "1MB" UltraSound ACE upgrade.

I won't know if it's got the right chips until I receive it, of course. 🙄 But at worst, I'll have another highly compatible vintage video card for one of my retro-rigs!

diamondst-1266711220-6093.jpg

Reply 12 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@digitaldoofus

Is your memory upgrade working on you ace?? Iam looking also a memory upgrade chip.
I found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hitachi-General-Purpose-D … #ht_2629wt_1297

But i dont know if its the good chip with the right voltage.. I think you need an 3.3volt chip. On ebay is 5 volts chip i think.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 13 of 14, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:
@digitaldoofus […]
Show full quote

@digitaldoofus

Is your memory upgrade working on you ace?? Iam looking also a memory upgrade chip.
I found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hitachi-General-Purpose-D … #ht_2629wt_1297

But i dont know if its the good chip with the right voltage.. I think you need an 3.3volt chip. On ebay is 5 volts chip i think.

I ended up using the memory upgrade chips from another Gravis card, and just put away the Trio card into my collection, so I don't know for sure if the chips from the Trio would have worked.