VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 22, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With most games, like Tie Fighter or old 2D games, I think I prefer playing the original in a DOSBox than playing an updated remake.

I would like to see a remake of the original System Shock, though. The 3D graphics in that game do feel a bit primitive nowdays, while the Tie Fighter 3D graphics are still good enough, even though the polygons often lack textures, heh.

Seeing some kind of Dark Engine remake (Thief, Thief II and System Shock 2) would be nice too. The Dark Engine isn't very future proof, doesn't like multiple cores, the cutscenes use the indeo codec and so on. But fortunately there is the OPDE project for that.

Reply 21 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WarCraft: Orcs vs Humans, with WarCraft III engine. RTS is a particular genre when old games' gameplay is not necessarily better than that of new games. Tried to play WarCraft again last night, and it is a case where I have to admit that the old game's gameplay is worse than successor.

For example, the click-and-drag lasso, which require CTRL button, by the way, only allows you to select four units. Naturally, moving large number of units is a pretty tedious exercise. Second, only archers are smart enough to automatically attack incoming enemies without your command, while swordsmen just stand there like a bunch of imbeciles. Third, the unit's pathfinding AI leaves a lot to be desired. Even the first Command & Conquer is not that tedious.

The only reason I play WarCraft: Orcs and Humans is because I want to follow through the storyline again.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Freddo wrote:

With most games, like Tie Fighter or old 2D games, I think I prefer playing the original in a DOSBox than playing an updated remake.

If the remake retains the dynamically-changing MIDI music, as well as those cool cut scenes, I think I'd have the remake. 😀

Of course, a Yuuzhan Vong campaign won't hurt. Die coralskippers die die die! twisted.gif

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.