VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I sprung for some parts for a moderately powerful gaming rig. Nothing close to high end, but good enough to last me a while.

Gigabyte GA 880GM UD2H motherboard (Radeon HD4250 onboard, Hybrid Crossfire capable)
Phenom II x4 945
6gb DDR3 1333
1tb Seagate SATA hard drive
550W Ultra PSU
Multi card/floppy reader
Wireless mouse/keyboard combo
Generic 24x DVD burner w/Lightscribe
Radeon HD4850 1gb video card
Windows 7 Home Premium

I'm putting it all in an older tower case I bought a long time ago but never used. The case came with a 400w PSU but that's not enough for the video card I bought or anything more powerful if I upgrade later.

Can I run Crysis at the highest settings with this rig?

😁

Reply 2 of 6, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
So I sprung for some parts for a moderately powerful gaming rig. Nothing close to high end, but good enough to last me a while. […]
Show full quote

So I sprung for some parts for a moderately powerful gaming rig. Nothing close to high end, but good enough to last me a while.

Gigabyte GA 880GM UD2H motherboard (Radeon HD4250 onboard, Hybrid Crossfire capable)
Phenom II x4 945
6gb DDR3 1333
1tb Seagate SATA hard drive
550W Ultra PSU
Multi card/floppy reader
Wireless mouse/keyboard combo
Generic 24x DVD burner w/Lightscribe
Radeon HD4850 1gb video card
Windows 7 Home Premium

I'm putting it all in an older tower case I bought a long time ago but never used. The case came with a 400w PSU but that's not enough for the video card I bought or anything more powerful if I upgrade later.

Can I run Crysis at the highest settings with this rig?

😁

I would also recommend the HD5850 too, I have one and it rocks.

Get the x64-bit version of Windows 7 Home and also note that unlike the X58 Chipset Intel boards, AMD Chipset boards are dual-channel and not triple-channel boards.

You will want to get a matched pair of 4GB DDR3 Modules and run 8GB of ram, should be cheap enough.

I also recommend getting an SSD drive for my OS and use a large secondary HDD for my apps and games 😀

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 5 of 6, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sliderider, congrats on these new PC parts! Maybe you'd like to buy a couple of PC games (both run on Win XP) from me? These 2 games are:

- Arabian Nights (excellent condition disc in jewel case w/ manual & official strategy guide);

- Search & Rescue 3 (excellent condition disc in jewel case w/ insert and manual)

Reply 6 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

Why no 1055T? The price is just a bit higher. I'm going for one myself to replace my 7750 BE. That and a 5850 will give my system a mid-life upgrade that'll last a good couple years.

I got a good price on the motherboard and CPU bought as a set.