VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Take any DirectX game. It will have a minimum DirectX version requirement. Eg Jedi Knight requires DirectX 5 as a minimum. I install the game, install DirectX 5, and use a video card capable of using DirectX 5. What happens if I then increase the DirectX version by installing DirectX 6 or 7 or 8 etc.. For the purposes of this discussion, please assume that the video card is capable of using these higher versions of DirectX. Will the game look any better? Would any DirectX game look better, not just Jedi Knight.

I vaguely remember reading about "Crysis" looking a bit better on Vista, compared to Windows XP because Vista used DirectX 10, and XP can only use DirectX 9.

The other day I installed "Arx Fatalis", a game originally published in 2001 when XP was released. I guess it was geared up for either Win98 or XP. It's probably a DirectX 8 game. When I installed it the other day, I used Windows 7. I'm still a bit new to Win7, and I'm guessing it uses DirectX 11. I couldn't help but notice that it looked very good, from a general image quality point of view. I wonder if somehow DirectX 11 made it look better somehow, compared to how I remembered playing the game on Win98 many years ago. Perhaps it's just to do with the graphics card and its driver, rather than what DirectX version or Operating System you're using?

Edit: I have been a bit vague when I use the phrase "image quality". I do mean the general overall appearance of the game, but I also mean effects - such as smoke, fire burning torches, etc...

Reply 1 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think, unless the game is able to use all or any of the new feature sets of a newer DirectX, usually you can't see any improvements in the image quality. Meaning a machine with DX8 installed, will not have image quality enhancements for a DX6 game, for example.

The game must be able to utilize the newer directX's features to reflect the respective quality in it's images.

The PC version of Assassin's Creed for example, comes with two executables - one a DirectX 9 version for XP, and the DX10 version executable for Vista/7.
Here you can see subtle changes in image quality between these two.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The differences between DirectX 3 and 6 are mainly API related rather than feature caps. It's why simple DX3 cards like the Voodoo Graphics have "DX6 support", even if DX6 brings nothing really new.

Though, DX5 does have better alpha blending handling...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think certain IQ improvements like AA, AF, and trilinear filtering are related to video cards instead of DirectX version. Of course, I can be wrong in certain cases.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 9, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not 100% certain what happens with older DirectX titles, but DX9 actually includes ALL of the code necessary for natively running titles made to use DX8 and DX7. In fact, if you choose "run" from your Start menu and type in DXDIAG and perform the video diagnostics in DX9, you will note it tests rendering in DX7, DX8 and DX9 modes.

Don't know how DX10 handles it all though.

As for improvements, you probably won't see many at all. Most updates to DirectX were to add features or eliminate bugs.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg