VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"...a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"

The call of SHODAN and the opener for Episode 10 of Ancient DOS Games! :)

It's hard to imagine I've done ten episodes of my webshow... I've no reason to stop making them so here's hoping everyone who's been watching has enjoyed ADG so far and is looking forwards to many more episodes!

Since System Shock is one of the best games ever made, I had to give it quite the treatment, including a half-hour episode which only manages to scratch the surface of the game despite all the details I go into. For those of you who haven't played System Shock, I don't go into so much of the plot that the game will be spoiled for you, just information on how the game is played, the kinds of things you get to do, some tips on how to survive the first few levels and also some info on getting the game working since the installer can lock-up DOSBox on some systems.

Granted, System Shock is also a fairly violent game and a number of the visitors to my website are under the age of 18, so I had to include plenty of mature content warnings, including one in the video itself. I know, such things aren't going to stop those who are curious, but what more can I do?

Also, for those interested, here's a list of all the games I've reviewed so far on ADG, with each game title clickable to take you straight to the episode I review it in. ;)

Cybersphere
Descent
Mega Man
MegaRace
Serve & Volley
StarMines 2
Stunts / 4D Sports Driving
System Shock
Terminal Velocity
Tyrian 2000

Yeah, I need to lay off the games that start with "S". ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1 of 19, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info! I'm usually not very interested in that type of show, but I quite enjoy watching your videos. Interested in a little constructive criticism? (;

Reply 2 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any comments at all are welcome. It's the only way I'll know how well I'm doing! ;)

Last edited by Gemini000 on 2010-07-24, 19:31. Edited 1 time in total.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 4 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stunts is the best old game there is for me! It has everything I love in a game, very good gameplay (with crazy driving and crazy crashes!) and the track&terrain editer was YEARS ahead of it's time!

I still regret to have lost all homemade tracks when my computer cought a virus and in the end I ended up formatting the drive as I needed the harddrive for another build. A year later I found out I had forgotten to extract the files 🙁

oh well I still have my memories.

Theres a way to cheat the track check thingy so you can make the CrAzIeSt tracks! Just make a small circle of road from start to finish and then build your cRaZy track around it. 3 and 4 story wide jumps ftw!!!!!!! 😁

Reply 5 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

The call of SHODAN and the opener for Episode 10 of Ancient DOS Games! 😀

A very well done video review. I almost can't tell the difference between the video and a professionally-made promo video.

By the way, is it just me, or does your accent actually sound like that of Richard Garriot? 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 19, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it's amazing how in-depth the video content is. You obviously spend a lot of time preparing each episode, playing through the game, thinking about what to point out, etc. . This is not the usual "let's play a game and talk about it while we go" stuff. I also think the video editing is very good. Compared to the usual "MS Movie Maker" stuff your videos look very professional. I'm curious, what video editing software are you using?

Here's some points that sprang to my mind while watching the System Shock episode:

- this is probably nitpicking, but still: in the video(s) you're talking about the "Distributor" of a game. That should be "US Distributor" IMO. An estimated 90%+ of games have been distributed by various companies in different countries/regions. I've been working on a number of game-related database projects where i had to find solution(s) for this issue, so I think I know what I'm talking about here (; .

- the episodes I've been watching all had the game's FM synth music in the videos. I know that capturing video + MIDI using DOSBox is a lot of work because you have to record MIDI separately and mix it with the video manually. For many games MIDI would IMO sound so much better than synth though. If including MIDI for a whole video is too much work you could maybe add a brief sequence where you compare MIDI with synth. I'm not sure how important this info is for a "casual viewer", but it may be worth pointing out the differences.

- as I've said the video editing and quality is top-notch IMO, but the voice-over quality doesn't quite match that. I don't know what type of mic you're using, but your voice sounds tinny and has a rather low volume level. Maybe a better mic and/or different placement would give it more "oomph". I don't think this can be achieved by editing the audio, as the source signal seems to be pretty "weak" to begin with. It's also not a matter of compression I believe, as the volume level of your voice seems to be quite constant. Btw, you're talking very clearly and you're pretty easy to understand, which is a plus for non-native speakers. I have no troubles understanding what you're saying, contrary to many YouTube vids where some 12-year old with a horrible accent is mumbling into his cheap plastic mic (; .

That's about all I can think of right now. Keep up the good work!

Reply 7 of 19, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree with ADDiCT on the midi thingy. I just want to say though that I really enjoy watching your show (System Shock, awesome!) and I'm already looking forward to next week's 'episode'!

Reply 8 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EDIT: Forgot to respond to a couple things. I'm using Sony Vegas HD for video editing (since there's no decent free NLE video editors for Windows that had all the features I needed) and as for my voice... I don't actually know what Richard Garriott sounds like so I couldn't compare. I'm Canadian, but most people don't make that guess too quickly. *shrugs*

ADDiCT wrote:

- this is probably nitpicking, but still: in the video(s) you're talking about the "Distributor" of a game. That should be "US Distributor" IMO. An estimated 90%+ of games have been distributed by various companies in different countries/regions. I've been working on a number of game-related database projects where i had to find solution(s) for this issue, so I think I know what I'm talking about here (; .

*nods* I thought about that, but if I list every distributor/publisher/developer for a game I'm going to potentially confuse people if I don't know why those companies are involved. In System Shock's case, I know EA had something to do with the game but I couldn't figure out exactly what their involvement was which is why I didn't mention them.

It's difficult to find out exactly why certain companies are involved sometimes, and sometimes there's simply too little info to go on. For example, how many of you knew that Apogee actually helped out with Descent? (Proof is in the credits in-game, but beyond that, I have no idea what exactly they did to help.)

I have a corrections section on each video page on my website though so when I get more information I can add it in text form. ;)

ADDiCT wrote:

the episodes I've been watching all had the game's FM synth music in the videos. I know that capturing video + MIDI using DOSBox is a lot of work because you have to record MIDI separately and mix it with the video manually. For many games MIDI would IMO sound so much better than synth though. If including MIDI for a whole video is too much work you could maybe add a brief sequence where you compare MIDI with synth. I'm not sure how important this info is for a "casual viewer", but it may be worth pointing out the differences.

Yeah... this is because the system I'm doing this all on has an onboard audio chipset and its MIDI wavetable is awful. That said, many of us grew up only able to listen to the MIDI in its synth form so I suppose this is a point that may simply be a matter of taste... but still, if I get the audio card upgraded at some point to something with a decent wavetable I'll be sure to start using it more often. ;)

ADDiCT wrote:

as I've said the video editing and quality is top-notch IMO, but the voice-over quality doesn't quite match that. I don't know what type of mic you're using, but your voice sounds tinny and has a rather low volume level. Maybe a better mic and/or different placement would give it more "oomph". I don't think this can be achieved by editing the audio, as the source signal seems to be pretty "weak" to begin with. It's also not a matter of compression I believe, as the volume level of your voice seems to be quite constant. Btw, you're talking very clearly and you're pretty easy to understand, which is a plus for non-native speakers. I have no troubles understanding what you're saying, contrary to many YouTube vids where some 12-year old with a horrible accent is mumbling into his cheap plastic mic (; .

As you guessed, my mic is lousy but I haven't the money to replace it. I'm doing a considerable amount of audio editing after recording to improve bass, hand-normalize the waveform, remove background noise, add compression... which doesn't seem to do much >_>;

I do agree though, I need a better mic. That'll be the first thing I upgrade for the sake of the show once I can afford to!

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 10 of 19, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did the format somehow changes ? since number 9, I can't watch them anymore. Just a black screen.

I was looking forward to system shock review.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 19, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah... this is because the system I'm doing this all on has an onboard audio chipset and its MIDI wavetable is awful.

Onboard with MIDI wavetable? I don't think so (; . You're probably using the Windows built-in MIDI softsynth (if you have configured games to use MIDI, that is). You don't need a new audio card, you could use Timidity. I'm using it for all DOSBox games, and it works very well and sounds awesome with a good soundfont. You'd still have to record MIDI seperately and mix it with the video though. I guess synching the two streams could be a bit problematic.

Qbix: probably not too helpful, but works fine here in Win7 x64. Codec/flash player/plugin update maybe (dunno which distribution you're using)?

Reply 12 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qbix wrote:

did the format somehow changes ? since number 9, I can't watch them anymore. Just a black screen.

I was looking forward to system shock review.

Blip.tv recently updated their player and I've noticed you need Flash to be fully up-to-date for the new player to work. Anything less than that and the player simply doesn't load. x_x;

Kinda annoying since Blip.tv used to have one of the most compatible players around. At least when Blip.tv makes changes they get things ironed out relatively quickly. Other places like YouTube can take months to get things working properly when they introduce new changes.

If you update Flash and still can't get it working, try asking Blip.tv what might be wrong and make sure to give them your system stats and Flash version number as well.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 13 of 19, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah... this is because the system I'm doing this all on has an onboard audio chipset and its MIDI wavetable is awful.

Have you considered installing Roland Virtual Sound Canvas?
This is quite a good choice for modern Windows Systems if you can't plug the real hardware.

Reply 14 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

Have you considered installing Roland Virtual Sound Canvas?

Are they still selling it? I got mine from ebay, and it was not an easy find.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 15 of 19, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I haven't checked for a while, but as easy option: Exchange the DirectX Soundfont gm.dls in the system32/drivers directory with some better suited one. For example airfont 340. Then choose Microsoft SW Synth. It is this way still better than most Software Synths of integrated sound solutions.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 16 of 19, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just discovered your "Ancient DOS games" videos. Awesome gem! Thank you! 😉

I've played SS2 a lot of times, but System Shock 1 is harder/longer (no cyberspace in SS2, for example). The HUD is also more "complicated" (to me).

I loved watching Acantophis3rd's let's play (a serious one without silly jokes) of the CD version on Youtube, from start to end! But for some reason, I just can't beat SS1 myself. I'm at the third level, but this game gives so much infos (lots of stuff to do, to take, etc...), minus a "what to do" list (present in SS2) that I'm lost after stopping playing it for a while. 🙁

I could have written down that "to do list" rather than trying to find it in-game. 😒

Anyway, I still have a lot to watch, it would seem. =)

Reply 17 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

System Shock 2 was great too, but I find the original to be far more entertaining. I like the music in SS1 better, I like the sound and art design better, I like the style of gameplay better, even though SS2 is easier, and yes, I've beaten SS2 on quote "impossible" skill. :P

SS1 is for me, a better game, but SS2 is still awesome.

On the flip-side, when I tried Bioshock, I wasn't too terribly impressed with the gameplay. I admit, the story and atmosphere was superb, but the gameplay itself felt a bit too simple. I still feel SS1 had the best balance of complexity, and I still remember when I first met SHODAN in SS2... I had the lights off and I nearly wet myself 'cause I was not expecting it in the slightest... o_o;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 18 of 19, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To compare the gameplay of the two games, SS2 is easier to get into. It has WASD controls, mouse-look, a simple inventory, easier to use weapons and more detailed and differentiated environments and full 3D spaces.

SS1 was still innovating in this regard. It takes a while to master the controls, interface and weapons. The lower detailed graphics make it more difficult to figure out exactly where you are. On the other hand, the game is more forgiving. Weapons don't break, hacking and reconstruction do not cost nanites, you don't face the issue of spending cyber modules on poor upgrades, recharge stations abound for energy weapons.

I really appreciate this episode of Ancient DOS games. The words on the proper resolution 640x400, (not 640x480), are spot on.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 19 of 19, by Good Ol' TarviS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You guys know there's a Mouselook/WASD mod for SS1, right?

I find it very useful. It binds 'E' to toggle between mouselook mode and normal mode. Normal mode is like the normal game, and mouselook mode freezes the cursor to the center of the screen and makes it directly control the view.

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=1719.0

So if you were avoiding this game because you couldn't get used to the controls, use this.