VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Check out this demo of 90's video game technology implemented with an HTML5 Canvas. Features 35 pieces of 640x480 8-bit pixel art, created by Mark J. Ferrari of LucasArts fame, that would still be gorgeous even if they were static.

link

Reply 6 of 12, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It simulates swapping palettes. What the article actually says is that it takes a precalculated list of pixels to change and updates those in a loop, even blending them when the appropriate option is enabled (which it is by default). That's the reason for it using a lot of CPU power.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 7 of 12, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This looks very nice.

Still, this reminds me, how slow todays routines are in Javascript. These are things that have worked very well on much slower hardware. Even if you don't do real colorcycling but repaint the relevant pixels, as the javascript does.
Well, let's play Ladders in Windows Powershell then...

Reply 9 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really wish that the Tierra remakes would have used 8-bit VGA with colour cycling. They just don't have the same feel with true colour graphics.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 12, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love this quote:

Mark's scenes are actually Amiga IFF / ILBM files, originally created with Deluxe Paint in DOS. Ah, those were the days! So, to make this work, I had to write a converter program which parses the files and extracts the pixels, the palette colors, and all the cycling information, and writes it out as something JavaScript can understand. The data is stored as JSON on disk, and delivered to the browser with gzip compression. The data sent over the wire ends up being about 100K per scene, which isn't too bad (most of the soundtracks are larger than that, haha). My converter script is written in C++, but included in the source package if you are interested.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 11 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I really wish that the Tierra remakes would have used 8-bit VGA with colour cycling. They just don't have the same feel with true colour graphics.

Ditto, but also about the music too not being Adlib OPL2 produced. What kind of "VGA remake" is one that uses 32-bit color!?

meh it's a free game, no ones entitled to get what they want anyway. AGS has color cycling functions built-in, I wonder who ever used them.

apsosig.png
long live PCem