Common searches

What is your age?

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 182, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wish I could make out the model sticker on the last photo of my AST. I would totally look out for that exact PC.

Last edited by computergeek92 on 2016-07-28, 06:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 181 of 182, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Ha that's awesome. I was a dumb ass also and threw out all my old stuff back in 2008 which weirdly enough is the same year I bought my first real retro computer a pristine IBM PCjr complete in the boxes with the software. Paid ten bucks for it, the guy also had an IBM 5150 but I didn't know what it was and I didn't have a monitor so I passed even though he was offering it for free. Still kick myself for that one. 🤣 I didn't really get into fixing stuff though until 2013 when I was trying to find a computer that was old enough to use a 5.25" diskette drive so I could get games and other software on my PCjr. I walked into a PC repair shop and the owner said he had some in the basement and so we went down and whaddya know, a Packard Bell from 1996 right on the table in prisine condition, just like the one I had thrown out years earlier. 🤣

Here's me using our first Packard Bell:

In the photo, you're like: "Dude I’m now the coolest kid on the block!"

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 182 of 182, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm 25 years old and, thanks to my parents, have fond memories of a ZX Spectrum 48k, a Hyundai XT-clone with an orange monitor (father's, spent a lot of time playing Pippo on the speccy and Test Drive from 5.25" floppy) and a beige breadbox C=64 (mother's). The ("my") first PC to be in my own room was a 486 build, which was to be upgraded soon to a Pentium 1 back in 1997... After that, I was sold... Then came the dial-up Internet connection... There went my life... 😜 To be honest, I always had an interest towards older machines, especially Amigas, but only since last year I have been engaging into this hobby, actively seeking for parts and building rigs.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe