VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 34, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"(1) V5 PCI is rarer, while V5 AGP is more plentiful."

Kinda makes me glad i bought mine from a liquidator not long after the 3dfx bankruptcy. I paid $75 for it which was a steal at the time considering it was still recent and had community and developer support when I bought it and it was still new in the box. What were they? $299 new?

I have a server board here with 66mhz PCI slots. Would the Voodoo 5 take advantage of the additional bandwith?

Last edited by sliderider on 2010-08-01, 20:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 34, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rune runs for me on xp and I think it is a good game (although not great)

ps:
For Rune (works with Rune version 1.07 or compatible): (not used them myself)
OpenGL renderer version 1.4 for Rune: runeglr14.zip
Direct3D9 renderer version 1.3 for Rune: runed3d9r13.zip

http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 23 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

How did you fry your ASUS A7V333?

I was having trouble with it before, the keyboard port was busted.
Was gonna try with a USB keyboard, plugged in the PSU cable and up in smoke the BIOS chip went! Afterwards I found that I had set the jumper to ''clear CMOS'' -_-
I hadn't even flipped the power switch yet. Oh well.

Reply 24 of 34, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:
Rune runs for me on xp and I think it is a good game (although not great) […]
Show full quote

Rune runs for me on xp and I think it is a good game (although not great)

ps:
For Rune (works with Rune version 1.07 or compatible): (not used them myself)
OpenGL renderer version 1.4 for Rune: runeglr14.zip
Direct3D9 renderer version 1.3 for Rune: runed3d9r13.zip

http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

There's a DX10 renderer too, and I rather enjoyed Rune. I've played thru that game multiple times 😀

I only have one game that I never got to work in Windows 2000 Pro or XP, and that's Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. For this game I used QEMU and installed Windows 98 in there 😁

There has been some tricky games, though. The original release of Discworld Noir and Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear didn't work as the copy protection didn't work on NT systems, so I had to use a no-cd cracks for them to work. And with Ubik and Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels I had to disable the DirectDraw hardware acceleration.

Reply 26 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

I have a server board here with 66mhz PCI slots. Would the Voodoo 5 take advantage of the additional bandwith?

I've never tried such thing myself (don't have mobo with 66mhz PCI), but I think the performance will be the same as V5 AGP. Have you tried benchmarking it?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 27 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
sliderider wrote:

I've never tried such thing myself (don't have mobo with 66mhz PCI), but I think the performance will be the same as V5 AGP. Have you tried benchmarking it?

Though I never even considered it, I wouldn't try until I'm absolutely sure I won't be frying anything.
I don't think it will take advantage of the 66mhz PCI bus, but I could be wrong.

Reply 29 of 34, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Freddo wrote:

I only have one game that I never got to work in Windows 2000 Pro or XP, and that's Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.

Xp patch
http://www.thelostworlds.net/Software/Blood_O … _and_Vista.html

ps: is there a list anywhere of win9x games that dont run in xp ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 30 of 34, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just thought of another one: the ancient Doonesbury game.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/doonesbury-elec … ame-campaign-96

Apparently it uses some hyper-obscure Visual Basic thingamajig, and even the original author was unable to provide a convenient patch.

Also, I see no one has mentioned SimCity 2000 Network Edition.

Reply 31 of 34, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:
Freddo wrote:

I only have one game that I never got to work in Windows 2000 Pro or XP, and that's Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.

Xp patch
http://www.thelostworlds.net/Software/Blood_O … _and_Vista.html

Thanks! 😀 I try it right away!

EDIT: Excellent, it's working 😎

Reply 33 of 34, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I skipped WinXP, went straight to Vista (and I own a Win7 netbook). I actually kind of like Vista...but maybe that's just because I'm not doing vintage gaming on that platform.

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 34 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digitaldoofus wrote:

I skipped WinXP, went straight to Vista (and I own a Win7 netbook). I actually kind of like Vista...but maybe that's just because I'm not doing vintage gaming on that platform.

I almost skipped XP until a couple weeks before the release of Vista hehe.
The only XP systems I was using before that were systems not owned by me at that time.
But I have made up for lost time in a big way, did LOTS of experiments with XP and now I hardly use anything else. Mostly because I've had a couple lan parties lately and the games we've played demanded more recent systems.

We still want to lan a couple older games (Interstate 76 Nitro Riders, Dune2000 and Fleet Command, just to name a few) for which I intend to build 3 or 4 retro rigs which will likely end up using ME.
If I really need 98SE I'll...just build 3 more rigs? 🤣, I'm in trouble!