Rank
Oldbie

So I re-arranged my hardware for Windows 7:

X4 9350e
Gigabyte MA74 board
HD4850 1gb
2gb ram unganged
64bit Win7

Task switching - like alt-tabbing from WoW to desktop - takes 5-10 seconds during which it black-screens. My XP system does it instantly:

X2 5400+
Asrock board
7800GS 512mb
2gb ram dual channel mode
32bit xp

Any ideas? The 9350e isnt a fast processor but these lags don't look to be due to proc speed.

Reply 1 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

adding another stick of 2GB ram to your win7 machine will most likely solve this slow-switching thing you are dealing with...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depending on your chipset (whether it really can accomodate 128-bit Ganged mode will yield worse performance). This is specially true for some AMD/Ati chipsets like mine (790FX+SB600).

It's better to do some testing before and after.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Depending on your chipset (whether it really can accomodate 128-bit Ganged mode will yield worse performance). This is specially true for some AMD/Ati chipsets like mine (790FX+SB600).

It is?
Well atleast when testing my AM3, ganged mode increased performance in no way whatsoever! 😁 But no decrease either hehe

Reply 5 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

It is?
Well atleast when testing my AM3, ganged mode increased performance in no way whatsoever! 😁 But no decrease either hehe

Just like i never notice any difference between dual and triple channel memory on my Core i7 PC.

Reply 6 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My bios advises against setting ganged mode. If you cannot feel any performance decrease leave it enabled. I guess 128 bit bandwidth is better.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might help when reloading maps for online gameplay or something.
I noticed loading a multiplayer map the 2nd time is MUCH faster then the 1st time.

Reply 8 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're only using one stick of RAM in a motherboard that supports dual channel then you lose the additional benefit of running in dual channel mode. It's the same with any odd number of memory sticks. You should install in pairs when using dual channel memory and in threes when using an Intel i7 because they support triple channel.

Reply 9 of 10, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

adding another stick of 2GB ram to your win7 machine will most likely solve this slow-switching thing you are dealing with...

yep, now put in 2x2gb and it's much better now. the bios says unganged gives better performance so i'm leaving it at that.

Reply 10 of 10, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, should install at least 4GB memory in at least Dual Channel mode, especially in a 64-bit environment.

Though not obvious in the beginning, at heavier load or after prolonged continuous use, the dual channel may help in the performance of moving the data.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers