Common searches

Reply 260 of 276, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
sliderider wrote:

A guy who buys the game then sit home and plays it by himself doesn't make them any money beyond the initial purchase.

A guy who is fed up with minimal effort put unto a single player story and stops buying their games doesn't make them any money at all.

They don't care about that, though. The big money is in multi-player. Why should they care about people who don't play online when there are plenty who will continue to pay for months or even years beyond the initial purchase? For every single player customer they lose, they might gain 10 or more online players if the multi-player content is really good. The number of people who even bother playing the single player mode for these games is shrinking. Most people who buy the games do so for the online multi-player.

Reply 261 of 276, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

They don't care about that, though. The big money is in multi-player. Why should they care about people who don't play online when there are plenty who will continue to pay for months or even years beyond the initial purchase? For every single player customer they lose, they might gain 10 or more online players if the multi-player content is really good. The number of people who even bother playing the single player mode for these games is shrinking. Most people who buy the games do so for the online multi-player.

It saddens me to think this is the very reason so many single player games are not being develped any longer, everything seems to be about SOCIAL gaming now a days.

The problem is that these multi-player games are dumbed down in many cases to the lowest common luddite out there, like everyone is a packled or something 🙁

This is why I continued to play games like Oblivion since it's release so many years ago, the modding community keeps updating the game by coming out with so many mods for it along with the other Gamebryo engine games like Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas 😁

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 262 of 276, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BigBodZod wrote:
It saddens me to think this is the very reason so many single player games are not being develped any longer, everything seems t […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

It saddens me to think this is the very reason so many single player games are not being develped any longer, everything seems to be about SOCIAL gaming now a days.

The problem is that these multi-player games are dumbed down in many cases to the lowest common luddite out there, like everyone is a packled or something 🙁

This is why I continued to play games like Oblivion since it's release so many years ago, the modding community keeps updating the game by coming out with so many mods for it along with the other Gamebryo engine games like Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas 😁

Oblivion? I'm still playing Baldur's Gate! There's enough fan made content out there to keep playing forever.

Reply 263 of 276, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Oblivion? I'm still playing Baldur's Gate! There's enough fan made content out there to keep playing forever.

OK, I still play that too, I wasn't trying to go that old but yes, the Baldurs Gate Series and perhaps the Icewind Dales Series too 😉

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 264 of 276, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

They don't care about that, though.

sliderider wrote:

The number of people who even bother playing the single player mode for these games is shrinking.

sliderider wrote:

They don't care about that, though.

A pattern emerges.

Single-player gets less attention from developers. So less people bother playing poor quality single-player. So single-player gets less attention from developers. So less people bother playing poor quality single-player. Etc...

It's unfortunately that thought provoking stories have succumbed to "go fetch". They can push graphics and do promotions but eventually people have to get bored with capturing flags while wearing goofy hats.

Reply 265 of 276, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

eventually people have to get bored with capturing flags while wearing goofy hats.

All they have to do is keep adding bigger guns, cooler looking vehicles, and goofier hats every couple of months and the players will keep paying. 😁

Developers are getting so fricken lazy now they'd rather just hire an artist to draw some new items to put in their existing games and charge people for those than create new games.

Reply 266 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The patch for Duke Nukem Forever has finally been released. It features a bunch of changes and improvements, here's the list:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=128056

[QUOTE=Gearbox]

• 4-weapon inventory option for single player
  • MP Server favorites
  • Dedicated server overhaul
  • FOV can be modified
  • Change VOIP to push-to-talk (bandwidth fix)
  • VAC anti-cheat system enabled
  • Support for Japanese Steam ID’s for PC release in Japan
  • Auto-aim fix
  • Blood effects on surfaces behind enemies when shot
  • Steam.exe no longer uses an unusually high amount of CPU
  • Texture quality improvements
  • Fixes to prevent single player and multiplayer save data corruption
  • Leaderboard exploit fixed
  • AMD Dual-Core Optimizer no longer automatically installed (fixes rare bugs with Intel processors)
  • Crash/compatibility fixes and other minor bugs

[/QUOTE]

Even though the dedicated servers now have a console window and are easier to start up, you still have no control. You can only view what's happening. Hopefully this will be improved upon as time goes on. And you still can't play on your own dedicated server because it's tied into Steam. There are no separate DS binaries.

And still no mod tools.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 267 of 276, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Just let me know when it hit's the $2.50 mark.

$4.99 is still too expensive to kill pigs in LAPD uniform and to blow up toilets. 🤣

Well, since Steam is offering DNF now for 4.99, I might as well get it. It's a mid-week madness offer for a day only. 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 268 of 276, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check also both DLC... the second one ("The doctor who cloned me") is said to be as long as original campaign, so for 2 more bucks is a good offer.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 269 of 276, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's no where near as long as the original campaign. It's maybe 3 hours max if you take your time. The original campaign is about 9-10 hours. Some of the jokes are a bit funnier in the DLC but overall its just more of the same.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 271 of 276, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ncmark wrote:

It's all moot for me because I don't have a machine capable of playing it. But everything I've heard abut it has been bad. It's a shame - what were they doing for 10 years????

They got an overdose of envy and wanted the perfect game.

It seems that they didn't like that Quake came out and left DN3D as an outdated game, so they spent too much time trying to keep with graphics evolution.

Also, they tried to put everything that appeared in other games and the user could enjoy.

As a result, DNF is a bad mix... they put so much that they forgot to put some action (enemies are scarce, and you can only take two weapons in your inventory), the levels are too linear and Duke Nukem itself seems outdated.

IMHO, if they put the programmers into a jail and left without news of the gaming world, after three years you could have been obtained a much better game. Maybe without some characteristics, but overall a better game.

Also, the super-macho Duke Nukem seems outdated by now... there are many politically incorrect characters today, so it's not as breaking as before. If they had made two or three DN games in those years, it may still be a "healthy" character, but now it's somewhat like Lara Croft... they were better back in the day.

EDIT: Maybe that above review indicate that DNF is a very bad game, but in fact is not THAT bad. I'll gave it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10, but me (like most gamers in the world) was expecting a 9.5 or 10 game. Most gamers are very dissapointing for getting a "normal" game after playing DN3D when they were younger... but I bet the same game without "Duke Nukem" name would have received better reviews worldwide.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 272 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the latest patch you can have 4 weapons as an optional toggle. Which is better, but still stupid.

My Github

Reply 273 of 276, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:

but I bet the same game without "Duke Nukem" name would have received better reviews worldwide.

Better reviews, maybe, but it still probably wouldn't have sold nearly as well, or even gotten anywhere near the same kind of attention.

Reply 274 of 276, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote:

With the latest patch you can have 4 weapons as an optional toggle. Which is better, but still stupid.

I've read switching between weapons can get confusing this way. I guess it was designed to toggle between 2 weapons so with 4 you have to cycle through all of them instead of selecting them with individual buttons like a normal game.

Also what's the status of the save system? It looks like there's only one save slot and if you use the level select option to replay a mission and get something you missed this causes you to lose your progress past that point.

Reply 275 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, both are true. There's no even a Previous Weapon key because there was only meant to be two weapons. Also the save system is as atrocious as it sounds. Checkpoint only and one save slot. Someone else want to play through the game? Too bad, the other guy's progress is immediately lost. It's ridiculous, really. No idea what Gearbox was thinking.

My Github

Reply 276 of 276, by David J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I liked the game. It wasn't GREAT and sure as hell no Duke 3D but it was a good and met my standards. The game isn't very memorable but it happened to come out the week of my birthday and that was by far the most memorable leave I have taken in a long time.