VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awhile ago, Nikiniki posted a poll about which graphics mode was more preferred by Thexder players, EGA or Tandy/PCjr: Thexder EGA vs TANDY/PCjr mode

Well, my latest episode of Ancient DOS Games happens to be for Thexder and I decided to put the EGA mode to the test and determine if their little 640x200 dithering trick was actually being used to its full advantage, or if it was just wasting pixels. I do colour counts between original 640x200 EGA screenshots, and those same screenshots after blending the dithered pixels together to get the 320x200 image it's trying to represent. The results may be enlightening. ;)

Here's a link to the Thexder episode for those of you who are interested: http://www.pixelships.com/adg/ep0012.html

In preparing for this episode I also came across a copy of Fire Hawk - Thexder 2 on eBay, which I didn't even know existed! (OK, I knew Fire Hawk existed but I didn't know it was a sequel to Thexder.) So I'm in the process of waiting for that to arrive and will almost certainly be doing an episode on it in the near future! ^_^

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So you know, the 640x200 EGA dithering is very effective on 80's CRTs and TVs. On Zeliard I can barely notice the difference between MCGA and EGA on such a blurry screen.

Yes, Thexder 2 exists, my disk label even says Thexder on its brown label iirc.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 6, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

So you know, the 640x200 EGA dithering is very effective on 80's CRTs and TVs. On Zeliard I can barely notice the difference between MCGA and EGA on such a blurry screen.

I'll take your word for it. I've never owned a computer monitor blury enough to notice, but from a programming standpoint, burning double the graphics bandwidth and only attaining 11 or 12 simulated colours is kinda dumb when you have a palette of 16 colours you can modify. :P

I did however find a gameplay screenshot of the EGA mode of Fire Hawk online and saw the same dithering going on, so I downloaded it, did my colour comparison, and from only 7 base colours they're pulling off 24 simulated colours mid-game, so it looks like the sequel to Thexder takes much better advantage of the dithering effect. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 3 of 6, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I wonder if 640x200 is really that much slower in ega though since 16 color mode doesn't exactly have single pixel access mode and you might be able to setup the registers and pixels masks in a way to write 2 pixels at once.

Reply 4 of 6, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fire Hawk is a great game. Better than the first one, IMO. And the soundtrack is fantastic.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 5 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I can tell, the home version of Thexder was first developed for the Japanese PC88 systems, and then ported to other platforms. The graphics mode used on PC88 was 640x200 8 colour. On a system that only has only 8 colours, the dithering effect worked. The fact that the IIgs, Macintosh, Amiga and PC versions also use the same 8 colour 640x200 resolution (despite having more capable graphics) suggests to me that it was done more out of laziness than anything.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 6, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Harekiet wrote:

I wonder if 640x200 is really that much slower in ega though since 16 color mode doesn't exactly have single pixel access mode and you might be able to setup the registers and pixels masks in a way to write 2 pixels at once.

Hey yeah... that might explain why in the EGA and CGA modes the laser is much wider horizontally when it doesn't have to be. The horizontal granularity of the beam is probably based on how many pixels they're able to write at once. In the Tandy mode, the beam is only a single pixel wide which suggests they probably could easily write one pixel at a time.

MusicallyInspired wrote:

Fire Hawk is a great game. Better than the first one, IMO. And the soundtrack is fantastic.

Considering the Thexder robot is your avatar, I'd be surprised if you hadn't played it! ;D

Anonymous Coward wrote:

From what I can tell, the home version of Thexder was first developed for the Japanese PC88 systems, and then ported to other platforms. The graphics mode used on PC88 was 640x200 8 colour. On a system that only has only 8 colours, the dithering effect worked. The fact that the IIgs, Macintosh, Amiga and PC versions also use the same 8 colour 640x200 resolution (despite having more capable graphics) suggests to me that it was done more out of laziness than anything.

I've only ever seen resolution-reduced video of the PC88 version so I didn't even realize that. Considering the quality of the Tandy mode perhaps they figured most people would be using that mode anyways... or something. *shrugs*

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)