VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What MIDI device were these soundtracks composed on? I know it seems whoever the composers were spent a lot of time on compatibility for multiple sound devices (personally I think it sounds best with an OPL3 card), but was there a specific device in mind above all others during composition? Like the way Sierra games did things where they supported a variety of hardware but were all composed for the MT-32 in the early days. And therefore was the best way to experience the game.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 2 of 5, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been there.

But speaking of which, the FM MIDI soundtracks they have up there for Descent 1 and 2.....just how are you supposed to play those? You can't just play it on a FM synth sound card with a Windows MIDI player because any MIDI file played in Windows will just be played back as General MIDI...and the drum tracks, for one, aren't on the correct General MIDI standard channel. So I'm a little confused as to how one is supposed to listen to those...

My Github

Reply 3 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

on a Windows FM midi driver. Of course it still won't be the same, but since the site came from a time when wavetable MIDI wasn't widely used that's thrown up there anyway

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 5, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, that doesn't work. Even a Windows FM MIDI driver still goes under the assumption that the MIDI file is General MIDI and plays it as such. So it wouldn't play any better on a Windows FM driver than it would on a wavetable one. I've tried it. The drums are just pianos because it's using the wrong channel. And all the instruments sound horrible...even in FM. As if they're the wrong notes.

It's as if these MIDI files will only play correctly within the game itself.

My Github

Reply 5 of 5, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a looksie at the "D1 Full Version for FM" in my MIDI sequencer... definitely *strange* looking to say the least.

The MIDI files appear to be type 1 and are not tagged "Mark for Microsoft Media Player", yet only the first two tracks are actually assigned MIDI channel numbers (channel 1).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net