VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wanted to get a good uninstaller for Windows 9x, because I'm slowly getting ready to test loads of hardware and software, and that will involve installing and uninstalling loads of software/hardware drivers/etc. Recently, I bought Cleansweep Deluxe by Quarterdeck, and noticed that they no longer exist. I believe Symantec own their stuff now, but there's no sign of this software on their website. The CD-ROM version is 3.08-ENG. I wonder if this software was ever updated beyond version 3.08? Is anyone familiar with this software?

Attachments

• PICT1555.JPG
    Filename
    PICT1555.JPG
    File size
    86.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'd use an image program and just make a working simple, basic version of Windows 9x with the stuff you always want on it and then just keep that for nukeing Windows 95 after testing stuff. These cleaner programs used to give more headaches than they did good, imo

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 3, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes you are almost certainly right. I'm probably making life harder than is necessary. I'll just back up a known working image, and if I subsequently mess up the HDD with a failed installation, I can just roll it back using the back up image.

Reply 3 of 3, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even if those cleanup programs did work 100% (they don't), a Ghost image would still probably be faster and easier anyway... a clean Win9x install isn't that big, so a full restore will go pretty quick even on a slow hard drive.