VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found a list of games claimed to be Direct3D, here. However, I immediately spotted an incorrect entry: Azrael's Tear from MindScape. Yes, it is a 3D game, but it is a DOS game, and it is not 3D-accelerated. It doesn't even support DOS GLide.

Anyone can spot other incorrect entries? How about G-NOME? How about Agile Warrior F-111X? Probably HELICOPS? Part of the reason I'm asking this is because I'm hunting old Direct3D games now, but first I have to make sure if the game really support Direct3D.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also make sure you've also hunted down the patches for those games and verified they didn't add D3D/Glide support to the game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
NOT D3D OR GLIDE: Cyberspeed Marathon II Plane Crazy (for 1997 at least. it came later) […]
Show full quote

NOT D3D OR GLIDE:
Cyberspeed
Marathon II
Plane Crazy (for 1997 at least. it came later)

Marathon has to an OpenGL game. It's for the Mac.

Reply 5 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Marathon has to an OpenGL game. It's for the Mac.

All Marathon games used software rendering sourceports uncounting

Davros wrote:

plane crazy from sega ?
certainly did have hardware support

The earlier european release didn't.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 17, by AlienBZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not 100 % positive, but I think Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 might be another - I have it and was able to play it on a old (1998-bought) win 95 PC that lacked a 3D card.

Reply 8 of 17, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Jedi Knight did have a software mode, but it also has support for Direct3D 5

Yep, I remember my cousin buying a new computer around that time and we were both very impressed by the improvements on the graphics 😁

Reply 9 of 17, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah a micro$oft newsletter from 1997. 🤣
there are a lot of incorrect entrys:
Assassin 2015, G-NOME, HELICOPS, Silent Thunder,Toshinden 2, and Wipeout XL had also no hardware acceleration.
btw, the name MetalTek from monolith was the working title for SHOGO-Mad.

sysprofile.png

Reply 12 of 17, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Found a list of games claimed to be Direct3D, here. However, I immediately spotted an incorrect entry: Azrael's Tear from MindScape. Yes, it is a 3D game, but it is a DOS game, and it is not 3D-accelerated. It doesn't even support DOS GLide.

Anyone can spot other incorrect entries? How about G-NOME? How about Agile Warrior F-111X? Probably HELICOPS? Part of the reason I'm asking this is because I'm hunting old Direct3D games now, but first I have to make sure if the game really support Direct3D.

I believe Silent Thunder and certainly Rocket Jockey are incorrect entries.

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 13 of 17, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

[duplicate entry; tried to delete]

Last edited by digitaldoofus on 2010-08-31, 11:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 17, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

no the Silent Thunder entry is correct, it does not use direct 3d its actually a win 3.1 game and uses win32s and winG (it supports win95 as well)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 15 of 17, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

no the Silent Thunder entry is correct, it does not use direct 3d its actually a win 3.1 game and uses win32s and winG (it supports win95 as well)

Ooops, guess I may have been mistaken about Silent Thunder. I believe I got it mixed up (in my mind) with the older game "A-10 Tank Killer" (game uses the same plane).

Reply 17 of 17, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

Silent Thunder is A-10 Tank Killer 2 and A-10 Tank Killer is certainly not hardware accelerated either it came out in 1989

Yeah, that's what I was saying...A-10 Tank Killer is the game that I knew was not accelerated. 😀

I've played both games. If I remember correctly, I was disappointed with Silent Thunder's too "arcade-like" flight model. I usually prefer something a bit more realistic in my flight sims.