VOGONS

Common searches

FreeDOS experience/compatibility

Topic actions

First post, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm just curious what other people's experience with FreeDOS has been.

This would be my list so far:

Working perfectly
=============
- Doom
- Doom 2
- Sim City 2000
- Blake Stone

Minor issues
=========
- Descent / Corrupted during installation, works if installed by other OS

Doesn't work
==========
- Day of the Tentacle / Freezes after some actions, midi music keeps playing?

Reply 3 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Asus P2-99 with latest bios
Pentium II 350@233MHz
128MB SDRAM
Matrox G200 AGP
Voodoo2 12MB
Matrox m3D
Yamaha OPL3-SAx
1GB Compactflash as HDD

Operating systems are FreeDOS 1.0 and Windows 98SE.

Details on problems:
Descent will install, but the end result is corrupt. (won't run or patch)
It installs perfectly under win98 and runs perfectly under FreeDOS after installation.

DOTT Will run fine until you click on say, look and select an object.
Bernard will begin to talk and then the game will freeze, some HDD activity which later stops. Music keeps playing.

There is no problem with DOTT running under Windows 98.
I guess I can try rebuilding the latest FreeDOS kernel and see if that fixes anything.

Reply 4 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

or you could just use the little MS-DOS that comes with Windows 98. 😜

Any specific reason for using FreeDOS over MS-DOS for gaming? I've never heard of any real advantages of doing so. OF course my question is in the matter for serious playing rather than intense regression testing.

Last edited by leileilol on 2010-08-27, 15:53. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do not own a copy of MS DOS 6, though I'm wondering now if I should just buy it and set up a triple boot.
Everything else about FreeDOS works perfectly, if I knew x86 assembly and DOS programming experience I'd have tried to debug it myself 😀

Reply 6 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheLazy1 wrote:

I do not own a copy of MS DOS 6

You don't have to. Windows 98SE comes with its own mini MS-DOS 7 (found in and loaded from C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND). It's not the full set of DOS tools which makes some older more arcane game installation programs break (Software Toolworks specifically) but it does have a much higher game compatibility rate. 😀

Also, compact flash for a HDD? Isn't that writecycle burn frenzy?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if wear leveling is done at the hardware level or OS level, either way not many DOS apps write frantically to the HD.
Worst case, it refuses to write anymore and I pick up another dirt cheap card 😀

Reply 8 of 20, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure if wear leveling is done at the hardware level or OS level, either way not many DOS apps write frantically to the HD.

It's at the hardware level. But I don't know if CF cards do much as far as wear levelling... they don't tend to have very advanced controllers inside 'em. But you're right, it doesn't matter so much in DOS. Windows is where it'd really become an issue.

Of course, you could always go with a card built around SLC flash. They cost a few bucks more, but tend to be faster and have a lot higher durability in write cycles.... along the lines of 100K or even 1M, versus ~10K on MLC flash.

Reply 9 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Frankly I think the write cycle issue is way overblown. The device will be quite obsolete and uninteresting by the time it fails. I've thrown away CF cards because they were just not worth keeping around anymore because they were too small and slow.

I'm still waiting for my first flash device failure. Even my 2.5 year old EeePC with its cheap-n-slow 4GB SSD that I've reinstalled OSs on many many times is still working fine.

I think the write cycle issue would be worth more consideration if you were choosing flash for certain applications that do massive amounts of writes.

Reply 10 of 20, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still waiting for my first flash device failure. Even my 2.5 year old EeePC with its cheap-n-slow 4GB SSD that I've reinstalled OSs on many many times is still working fine.

The 4GB drive in the eeePC is SLC, though. As are most older flash devices. I wouldn't judge the reliability of the newer MLC crap based on those experiences... it's an entirely different animal.

Reply 11 of 20, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I turned off swap under Windows, haven't done much with it but so far it hasn't been an issue.
Though I should look into putting a real hard drive in there.

FreeDOS comes with an insane amount of utilities and features, it's a real nice alternative if it weren't for those weird bugs.
I especially like the boot menu where I can select things like loading emm386/no drivers/whatever, I even added an option to boot with USB support.

Very flexible, it's just a shame I have no idea how I can help find and fix it.

[Edit]
A nice disk cache would cut down on writes/wear as well.

Reply 14 of 20, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been trying to get FreeDOS to work with Virtual PC recently with no luck. I get a virtual hard drive formatted, get FreeDOS installed, reboot and get Invalid Operating System error

Reply 15 of 20, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheLazy1 wrote:

Were you having similar issues?
What about dr. dos?

I didn't say I tried them all recently. 🤣

Can't remember specifics, but crashes, memory issues, 3rd party disk caching & memory manager problems, etc. General incompatibility issues. MSDOS 5-6.x always worked.

Reply 19 of 20, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bestemor wrote:

Has anyone tried the IBM 'PC Dos' (7) for gaming?

Any insights to compatability issues etc would be of interest.

I'm using it exclusively on my 286-486 rigs

It's 100% compatible and isn't a conventional memory hog as M$-DOS is

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327