VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe. The GPU supports it according to this.

http://videocardz.com/26964/amd-radeon-6700-s … mory-memory-bus

This is something they have to do to draw sales away from the GTX460 which is 192 bit in the 768mb model and 256 bit in the 1gb model. The GTS450 is still 128 bit but lags HD5770 slightly and for a slightly higher price. This will knock it right out of the game.

Reply 1 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will get one. Sold my 5750 and now have to make due with a X300

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm thinking that this GPU will be similar to the 58x0. Or it could literally be the Cypress chip with a new name.

The new high-end will obviously have more power than Cypress or there's no point. And so it makes sense that the current 58x0 hardware (or something similar) will replace Juniper/57x0 in the upper midrange.

I've been waiting on a Cypress/58x0 price drop. But I might consider the 68x0 cards too. I'm still running a 8800GTX and am really itching to move up.

Reply 3 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm keeping my HD5670 1GB GDDR5, it's perfect for what I use it for 😁

I can't afford to upgrade graphics cards every year or so, often I upgrade only after maybe 4 years to somekind of cheaper mid-range card.

Reply 4 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 8800GTX was my first card over $200. I've been using it since 2007. I think it worked out well because I'm still playing most games at max settings. I moved it into a TVPC that only needs to run 1360x768 too, so that really let it breathe well again. 😀

I will hold off upgrading until there is a new game that the 8800 can't really handle well enough. That's why I am still running it today. It just hasn't happened.

Reply 5 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

The 8800GTX was my first card over $200. I've been using it since 2007. I think it worked out well because I'm still playing most games at max settings. I moved it into a TVPC that only needs to run 1360x768 too, so that really let it breathe well again. 😀

I will hold off upgrading until there is a new game that the 8800 can't really handle well enough. That's why I am still running it today. It just hasn't happened.

8800GTX is still a viable card for DX9 and DX10 gaming. If it's only more speed you want, you should consider SLI with another 8800GTX instead of an upgrade to a DX11 card. It's going to be a while yet before the full force of DX11 is unleashed so jumping into it while cards are still expensive might not be such a good idea. I'm going to be hanging it out with my HD4850 for a while yet.

And here, in the spirit of cheap ass gaming at it's finest, is a great price on an 8800GTX 768mb.

http://www.phoenixdirecttech.com/products/103 … video-card.aspx

$75 for a refurb! What a steal. 😮

Quad SLI for $300! You can't beat that performance with a new card.

Reply 6 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

I'm thinking that this GPU will be similar to the 58x0. Or it could literally be the Cypress chip with a new name.

The new high-end will obviously have more power than Cypress or there's no point. And so it makes sense that the current 58x0 hardware (or something similar) will replace Juniper/57x0 in the upper midrange.

I've been waiting on a Cypress/58x0 price drop. But I might consider the 68x0 cards too. I'm still running a 8800GTX and am really itching to move up.

Merely moving the HD5800 down to the mid-range might not be such a good idea unless they managed to cut the power consumption considerably. A lot of users in this price range still don't have power supplies that can handle the draw of the HD5800 with two additional power connectors. If they had moved to the new 28nm process, then it might be possible to cut it to where only one additional power connector is needed but they're sticking with 40nm, at least initially, from what I heard which restricts how much they can cut power usage. Adding the cost of a power supply upgrade might be too much for some who just want to upgrade their video.

Reply 7 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have any mobos with NVIDIA SLI support, or with 2x PCIe x16 slots for that matter. 😀 Also don't have a PSU with 4x PCIe power! (yikes)

sliderider wrote:

Merely moving the HD5800 down to the mid-range might not be such a good idea unless they managed to cut the power consumption considerably

Perhaps, but there are of course more levels to midrange. The 56xx cards are pretty nice too and definitely midrange. The current 57xx performance level would likely be the new 66xx level cards. Each tier would be a bit better than now (other than the usual x4x0 junk I suppose).

They could probably run a Cypress chip with one power connector if they made concessions to clock speed and voltage. And as you said maybe they have reworked the chip a bit and gotten the power down. Who knows.

I do hope that it's not just a 5700-level chip with a 256-bit bus because although that would be low power it would also be only a modest bit faster with the extra bandwidth. But I guess I will not be surprised if that's what goes down.

Reply 8 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think i will be sticking with my pair of 1gb Radeon 5850 crossfire cards for now 😀

Metro 2033 will bring any GPU to it's kness when run on the highest settings 😳

Reply 9 of 10, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:

I think i will be sticking with my pair of 1gb Radeon 5850 crossfire cards for now 😀

Metro 2033 will bring any GPU to it's kness when run on the highest settings 😳

No wonder why they use for for benching gfx cards
Even Crysis is still used for that

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 10 of 10, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ahemm...sorry for hijacking this thread! 😁

What? Crysis is a GAME? 🤣 But seriously, I hate the benchmark softwares which are running loose masquerading as games.

I really hope they concentrate on the gameplay rather than pushing the graphics technology envelope as high as they can go without giving a second thought about the gameplay.

I'm sick of upgrading my graphics card every half a year or so, and that too, to play another me-too game. For now, sticking to my Geforce 9800GTX SLI, and my notebook's HD5870.

Sometimes, I wish people would create another Quest for Glory - even in the glorious EGA or VGA-256 colours, with very deep gameplay and another gripping story to boot, with new techniques to learn, re-visit the Spielburg village, attend to new pressing matters, with deep interaction with all the characters, randomization of events and so on.

No need to create sharp angled faces in 3D, no need to create the realistic-smoke, no need to create the heat waves from the burning fire - we can see all these in our kitchen.

For now, fan-made AGS games are the only one dependable, for new ideas. Without exhausting the graphics card. (At least for the adventure genre,anyway.)

And in the meantime, let's just see how both ATI...ooops...AMD and NVIDIA will fight it out.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers