VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently got up Ancient DOS Games Episode 16 - Star Wars: Dark Forces, which was actually requested by forum-goer "retro games 100". Since I happened to own the game already I figured why not? ;)

For those of you who're interested, the review can be found here: http://www.pixelships.com/adg/ep0016.html

But now I have a question for all of you here at the VOGONS forums. I understand that in a lot of forum environments, self promotion is generally not viewed so kindly, but I've been contributing to other conversations when I can and have recently only been talking about ADG when I can primarily talk about something interesting in relation to the episode, such as the EGA dithering in Thexder or making a 640x350 EGA game like Snarf fit a widescreen monitor.

So my question is this: How often do you all want me to post information about new episodes?

1. Every time a new episode goes up
2. Every once in awhile, say every three to five episodes
3. Only if there's something interesting about the game reviewed that can be discussed
4. Never, the posts are getting annoying

Or my other thought is to keep an active thread in the Release Announcements forum and simply update it with a fresh post for each new episode, if the admins and mods are OK with that of course.

Any thoughts?

---

Oh, and in response to...

retro games 100 wrote:

I've just thought of a popular old DOS game for you to review. How about Dune II, the battle for Arrakis?

I don't actually own this game and it was recently covered on one of my favourite web shows called "Until We Win". You can watch it here: http://www.lordkat.com/until-we-win-dune-ii.html

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1 of 7, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to make a general post about each new episode I think keeping an active thread would be good for that.
When an episode brings up a specific topic for conversation then that would be reason for a new thread about that subject.
That way the two conversations would be kept separate. One for the show. Another that deals with an aspect of playing DOS games or using DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep, a thread where you post updates on each episode would be nice 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 7, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A regularlly updated thread it shall be then! :)

I'll get it started when the next episode goes up on Saturday.

I find it surprising how hostile some forums can be though when it comes to this kind of stuff... The very first time I made a post on the GameTrailers forums way back when I first tried to start Ancient DOS Games, the mods removed my signature and simply said "no sig advertising" or something along those lines. Apparently, having a simple link to your own website in your signature was unacceptable on the GT forums. o_O;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well...dunno how long links will be allowed here either in sigs. Alot of SPAM we've been getting here in the forums like to use that. 🙁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I find it surprising how hostile some forums can be though when it comes to this kind of stuff... The very first time I made a post on the GameTrailers forums way back when I first tried to start Ancient DOS Games, the mods removed my signature and simply said "no sig advertising" or something along those lines. Apparently, having a simple link to your own website in your signature was unacceptable on the GT forums. 😮;

I think that all depends on the forum. This forum is mostly for gloryfying ancient games so stuff like your show are welcome. For other forums, everything that might steer users off their forum is competition...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper