Oldbie

😳
http://www.gog.com/

Reply 2 of 28, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are rumours that this is a marketing stunt for moving from BETA to full release...

If that's true, I don't get the joke AT ALL.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 28, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its was beta? I don't get it either.

Edit:
http://kotaku.com/5642141/what-happened-to-good-old-games Oh I see. It's not a marketing ploy, they are just redoing the system and it's going to be all "fresh and new".

GOG is dead, long live GOG.

Reply 4 of 28, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting note here, CD Projekt is the funds behind this venture, the folks that Published The Witcher.

it appears they will need to rethink their no DRM position I would think, a model like that of STEAM, where you can redownload your purchase if you have to reinstall or get a new gaming machine.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 5 of 28, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If they go back to using DRM I will stick with Steam as they are the least likely one to go away...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can think of one prominent abandonware site that rather openly argued in favor of redistributing their DRM-free offerings. A change in position would be quite understandable.

Reply 8 of 28, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can think of one prominent abandonware site that rather openly argued in favor of redistributing their DRM-free offerings. A change in position would be quite understandable.

I don't see how adding DRM is going to change anything. Someone's going to crack the releases and distribute them anyway.

If they go back to using DRM I will stick with Steam as they are the least likely one to go away...

Likewise. Also, if they add DRM, how are you going to run the games with your own Dosbox? For example, I just finished Blake Stone: AoG with Dosbox that has the savestate patch.

Reply 10 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripa wrote:

Dosbox that has the savestate patch.

Gee, did someone finally figure that out?

swaaye wrote:

How can they put DRM into an ancient DOS game's executable? Doesn't that necessitate recompilation? That seems rather unlikely to me.

Steam has quite a few DOS games already, if you haven't noticed - the various Sierra collections and Commander Keen, in particular.

Rather than trying to put DRM into the executable, it appears that the approach is to wrap the executable one way or another.

Reply 15 of 28, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've heard rumours that Steam bought GoG out. But there's nothing to substantiate that.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 16 of 28, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was reading where someone slowed down the video linked on gog.com and it showed a flash of Baldurs Gate and a redesigned site. That makes me think it is a site relaunch, coming out of beta. Guess we will know later today.

CDP had been having some financial issues earlier, so they may be getting a new owner. I just hope they keep things more or less the same and get even more publishers on board.