Common searches

GOG.com is gone

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 28, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why do I feel like a similar stunt was pulled recently? *looks over in the direction of Duke Nukem*

OK yeah, completely different scenario, but I think a lot of people get bugged when something shuts down only to be revived months, days or hours later... but then they quickly forget and welcome the news with open arms that things will continue.

As much as I hate to say it, closing down and then re-opening is often a very good way to get free publicity since you're very unlikely to lose much if any of your fan/customer base and you gain new people at the same time.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 22 of 28, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This was a really bad marketing stunt. I know, they needed publicity, but still it was bad. I am a member from the very beginning an will of course stay with them - I really like the no-DRM, no-Client, no-nonsense distribution. I tested many digital-download stores (Steam, EA Store, Stardock and PlayStation Store) and GOG is the most convenient one.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 23 of 28, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't understand. Why did they say as though it's a possible end for GOG? Why can't they just inform the members or just post a message that they are revamping the site? Or even a message mentioning that there will be some interruption due to maintenance or upgrade work?
I don't want to speculate anything but I'm sure something happened behind the door. The members deserve to be informed beforehand.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 25 of 28, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They thought it would be funny. It backfired.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 27 of 28, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

um, what's changed... just a new site, that's all?

😐

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 28 of 28, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
archsan wrote:

um, what's changed... just a new site, that's all?

Supposedly, they re-wrote 98% of the codebase for the website. *shrugs*

The "beta" status is gone now too and all the new features are mostly just minor additions to what was originally there.

*shrugs again* Not worth making millions of users think the website was gone forever, that's for sure, but again, was probably great publicity for them.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg