Common searches

Most disappointing games?

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 532, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I really hated Indy 500. It has probably the worst use of VGA graphics of any game I have ever seen. Not to mention it shipped with my SB 2.0, but I was never able to get the bloody sound working with the thing. I much preferred the follow up to this game (Indycar Racing)

http://www.mobygames.com/game/indycar-racing

Some people might find the Amiga version better (but I haven't tried it). Anyway, I think the Indianapolis 500 game was viewed as being a great car racing game "for its time". When I first played it, though, it was already "dated", but I had no problem getting it to work with my Ensoniq Soundscape card.

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 81 of 532, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks for sharing my sentiments... I didn't get this game till 1995 from a family friend who didn't want it... like I said already, I don't even know where it went... it's in one my boxes somewhere

by 1995, gaming graphics were leaps and bounds better than the stuff from 1992... so I was expecting too much from an older game I guess

either way, it looked like crap to me and I didn't have to much fun playing it, when playing mario cart or any of the F1 races on the SNES looked way better/more fun 🤣

Reply 82 of 532, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes if you played it in 1995 that doesn't surprise me 😁

Indi 500 came out in 1989 and back then the progress in games was massive.

I mean Wing Commander 2 came out only 2 years later...

Reply 83 of 532, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OTOH, lemmings (which also came with the SB pro and the other creative kits) was so fun... definitely a great classic on my list!

well I just figured out where I put my indy 500... I already made a floppy image of it 😁

it's still in the original shrink wrap and card board backing 😀

Reply 85 of 532, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quite easy. The hidden below - was announced as _the_ Doom-Killer from Germany in the press ... and ended up being a slightly updated Operation: Bodycount clone.

Reply 86 of 532, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I loved how many "doom killer" games were announced back in the 90s and never came to light... after 2 or 3 times, I stopped paying attention to those announcements because they were all BS... turns out I was right 😀
nothing was better than doom in the early FPS days, but I think the closest thing we got was duke3d

Reply 87 of 532, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

Quite easy. The hidden below - was announced as _the_ Doom-Killer from Germany in the press ... and ended up being a slightly updated Operation: Bodycount clone.

Wow. That looks horrible.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 90 of 532, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm probably going to get burned at the stake for some of my opinions, but:

Dark Seed
Played this just the other day and it reminded me of why I hate adventure games. I clicked everything, did everything I thought I could do and even wrote down extensive notes but couldn't solve the game. Finally I looked up a walkthru and found out that I had missed an item that was so small I couldn't freaking SEE it, and also that I had to do things in a totally illogical order (you have to steal the gun after being arrested? WTF?)

I liked the Giger artwork, but on that note I felt like the plot was a waste--what we end up with is typical B-list comic book villains who just happen to be particularly creepy-looking, and I hate it when they waste a plot like that.

System Shock 2
I actually discovered the entire franchise last year and played both games back-to-back. I loved System Shock 1, but System Shock 2 removed everything I liked about the first one and replaced it with lame RPG elements that were simply done wrong and made you feel like your every decision was a mistake. I also didn't like how often enemies respawned and, worse, how they were always right behind you (they respawned in SS1 too, but usually in another part of the level rather than being down your butt all the time), the way it doesn't pause in the inventory or while hacking, and how the plot was so predictable and not as "weird" or "disturbing" as I had heard people claim.

("Yes, we get it, you love being a hive-mind. Now will you shut up about it?")

Silent Hill 2
Sorry, Yahtzee, but I thought this was a huge step down from Silent Hill 1. SH1 was genuinely kind of creepy and had an interesting premise, while SH2 goes and gives you this sob-story about a guy being tortured by his "inner demons" which are being brought to life by this town. I'm sorry but there's something very un-creepy about it all being in the guy's head.

Reply 92 of 532, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shock__ wrote:

Wow. Operation Bodycount. Those were the days. I played that game to death.

Reply 94 of 532, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would have to disagree with System Shock 2. I liked the first better, but the second wasn't a bad game, though I also hated the respawning right behind you.

I am guessing that a few other people would disagree too since SS2 is the #1 most requested game on Good Old Games by a large margin.
http://www.gog.com/en/wanted/

Of course any list such as this is going to be subjective, each person will have their own likes and dislikes.

Reply 95 of 532, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed, stuff like that is why I consider System Shock 2 more overrated than Final Fantasy VII

FF7 at least has a large and vocal number of detractors, but it seems like everybody who played SS2 is playing this absolutely golden game that descended from Heaven in a gold-plated chariot to lead us all to the promised land, and for awhile I felt like I was the only person on Earth who didn't like it.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who dislikes it though.

Reply 96 of 532, by Deadalus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon: the result/byproduct of Japan's attempt to recreate Call of Duty in whatever franchise they have. And they sorta proud of that.

The latest NFS Most Wanted: they made the cop chase ridiculously unsatisfying, practically turning entire game into Burnoutfest casual arcade racer (although the car selections are still as sexy as always).

Ridge Racer Unbounded: IMHO, last year's worst racing game (although still sorta unenjoyable if it's not because of....), tons of bug the devs admit they 'can't fix it in time', ridiculously stupid/unenjoyable driving physics (never seen driving physics this bad in modern arcade racer), overbloomy graphics (the lighting effects are equally ugly either), uninspiring car designs, and more. More importantly, Ridge Racer was never about destruction

And honroable mention to Front Mission Evolved, another attempt by Square to make their best mecha franchise 'as stupid and as Michael Bay-ish as possible'. Plus there's huge corporate meddling behind the development/abuse of it (it's originally intended to be developed by in-house team instead of random incompetent western dev).

Reply 97 of 532, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know actually, I can't list that many games that disappointed me, since most of the time I won't even bother playing games that suck. But the one I have to name here is Half-Life 2. So overrated and doesn't live up to the first one at all for me. I played the demo and thought it's ok but it then it turned out the game is full of stupid shit like the driving sequences, fighting basically 3 types of enemies and this pseudo storyline with retarded dialog... Did I mention the multiplayer is a complete disaster as well? And this game is also notable for being a really early case of online only DRM crap. Total waste.

Reply 98 of 532, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xian97 wrote:
I would have to disagree with System Shock 2. I liked the first better, but the second wasn't a bad game, though I also hated th […]
Show full quote

I would have to disagree with System Shock 2. I liked the first better, but the second wasn't a bad game, though I also hated the respawning right behind you.

I am guessing that a few other people would disagree too since SS2 is the #1 most requested game on Good Old Games by a large margin.
http://www.gog.com/en/wanted/

Of course any list such as this is going to be subjective, each person will have their own likes and dislikes.

The respawning I think works to the game's advantage as does the fact that the weapons degrade over time (a bit too much though).
SS1 is an amazing game, but I think the fact that SS2 still makes me shit my pants when playing makes it the better game overall. Not to mention, those Cyberspace levels in SS1 are pretty lame nowadays 🙁.

Reply 99 of 532, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also Bioshock, one of the not-so-many games from this gen I actually played. The style is honestly OK, but the gameplay is totally bland and repetitive. Not the worst game ever for sure, but overrated.

DNF. No reasons to lose any words about it. 😀