VOGONS

Common searches

Most disappointing games?

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 532, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For certain I won't be making any friends after the following statement, but I'd say I was heavily disappointed with Serious Sam, mainly because I only got to play it when I had already finished Will Work, which featured far greater architecture.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 181 of 532, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Will Work? So they sang "I WANNA WORK" in a game? makes sense for a horde rooms game 🤣

I grew out of Serious Sam when the 2nd game came out, that was disappointing as the series caught diabetes. and somehow years later there's pretentious interest in the series, eventually hailing the also-disappointing SAM3 BFE as some 'best oldschool game ever'. When I expressed interest in creating addons for Sam HD and BFE, I got shut out of their clique because I wasn't up to converting copyrighted Nintendo characters from Gamecube/Wii games for them.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 182 of 532, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had never heard of that game until recently, from what I've seen none of them deserve the title best game ever. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 183 of 532, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't really get the joke, but I clearly see the typo! 🤣

Yessir, Will Rock. I honestly believe it never received the recognition it deserved, but then again, I'm a sucker for underdog titles.

Another game that seriously disappointed me was The Nightmare Levels for Blood II.
Looking back it's not that I was expecting something spectacular as Blood II itself wasn't much to begin with, but come on, they didn't even finish the 3D models; they constantly face you like a regular sprite would in 2.5D territory. Talk about cheap!

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 184 of 532, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Command and Conquer 4 - I had hoped that even with the new gameplay the game itself would be decent, and the storyline would wrap up nicely, instead we got something that makes sole survivor look like gold.

Call of Jurez The Cartel - If i had been able to finish it I might have a diffrent outlook, but it ran so poorly I just got rid of it.

Reply 185 of 532, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Someone criticised WC3 earlier. I came to it new without any knowledge of the previous games and liked it. However I can see why people used to WC2 would dislike it, because it's a simpler and smaller game by comparison.

There are also three distinct 'modes' of gameplay: single player, custom and ladder. I've never played the single player campaigns because they look boring. I also never much liked the DOTA-type custom games. However the RT/FFA ladder gameplay is really good. Cheating is a problem of course but that's unavoidable for such an old game.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 186 of 532, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

I had never heard of that game until recently, from what I've seen none of them deserve the title best game ever. 🤣

Serious Sam was quite good. I liked it back then (in 2001) and still play it from time to time. I also like the remake.

It's not Best game ever... it's just Best game of the Year 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 187 of 532, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quake 3 was a disappointment compared to previous games of the series, and also Half-Life which had come out the previous year. They decided to focus 100% on multiplayer deathmatch and left out the traditional single player adventure mode. Anyone who didn't have a good internet connection (this was in 1999 remember) was disappointed.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 188 of 532, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

Serious Sam was quite good. I liked it back then (in 2001) and still play it from time to time. I also like the remake.

man 🤣 not even sure about best games of the year. I mean released in 2001: Dune 2000, Stronghold, GTA 3, Tropico, Red Faction, Ghost Recon, Jak and Daxter, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Twisted Metal : Black, Anachronox, Shogun : Total War, Advance War and the list goes on. It's really no wonder I never heard of it with all those titles coming out the same year. 🤣

Reply 189 of 532, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
2fort5r wrote:

Quake 3 was a disappointment compared to previous games of the series.......Anyone who didn't have a good internet connection (this was in 1999 remember) was disappointed.

LAN gaming was where it was at for Quake3 and UT. I preferred UT because it was more imaginative, but Quake3 was fun too.

Reply 191 of 532, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought Striker from a shareware catalog sometime around 1990. The image in the catalog showed a digitized image of a helicopter. Didn't represent the game at all. Also it ran too fast, and we had no slow-down utility.

Reply 192 of 532, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahh, Striker! I remember that one from sometime around 1990 too. Even 12 MHz was a little too speedy for that.

Speaking of crummy shareware, I once wound up with a disk of some profoundly crappy Pinball Construction Set tables after technology had far advanced beyond the machine that originally ran them.

Reply 195 of 532, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As much as I enjoyed it because of the fiery/fun gameplay inherited verbatim from it's predecessor, I have somewhat against Carmageddon II mainly due to the rather poor texture work and overall absence of polishing detail.

I think Carmageddon TDR could have successfully redeemed the series had they (the other company) just settled for a lower difficulty level, but nope; surely it is a lot of fun for the player to keep running out of time...

Reply 196 of 532, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:
kixs wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

man 🤣 not even sure about best games of the year. I mean released in 2001: Dune 2000, Stronghold, GTA 3, Tropico, Red Faction, Ghost Recon, Jak and Daxter, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Twisted Metal : Black, Anachronox, Shogun : Total War, Advance War and the list goes on. It's really no wonder I never heard of it with all those titles coming out the same year. 🤣

You certainly know Games... but you missed Serious Sam 😉 I was never much of a gamer. From your list I only played Dune 2k (which was released in 1998).

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 198 of 532, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

kixs: "You certainly know Games... but you missed Serious Sam 😉 I was never much of a gamer. From your list I only played Dune 2k (which was released in 1998)."

Oh I'm not a hardcore gamer either but I actually have played all these over the years. I just googled games that came out in 2001 and was shocked to see all these listed (amongst tons of others I had never heard of). I didn't even realize that most of these came out in 2001 previously.

Reply 199 of 532, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sgt76 wrote:

Fallout 3 is top of my sucked massive balls list, it really did feel like Oblivion with Guns, 'cept uglier and since the voice acting was the same as Oblivion, the entire dialog was retarded.

One of my favorite games. Ever. Probably because I didn't like Fallout 1 and 2. I just didn't like the gameplay. On the other hand I loved the gameplay in the Elder Scrolls series. Arena, Morrowind (I literally went WOW when I saw it for the first time), Oblivion, Skyrim, etc. Dialogue is a little rigid tough.

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

Homeworld 2 - What I enjoyed most about the first game was capturing enemy ships. However that was entirely broken in this game. It's possible to take over enemy ships but they don't come with you to the next mission, you can't pilot them, and you can't even sell them for resources.

It was disappointing for me as well, coming from the first one and the Cataclysm non-canon expansion. The ship capturing system is indeed bullshit, but the ships DO work - you can command them, you can sell them and they do pass over to the next mission. The only thing not working is if you captured a Vaygr carrier. It would not let you build ships of any kind. Other than that, the story was good, gameplay was good, and the UI was better than the sequel.
What I hated was the fact that fighters always came in groups and were significantly less powerfull than their HW1 counterparts - salvage corvettes were replaced by the overly expensive, slow, fragile and useless marine frigates, and the ships were overall less impressive then the ones from the prequel. Flak frigates couldn't hold a candle to assault frigates - either against fighters or bigger ships (where the AF did something, the FF was just cannon fodder), and the list goes on.
Still a good game and I've finished it countless times. Still waiting for a sequel.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

WarCraft III

Despite its healthy, vibrant colors, its excellent storyline, its role-playing elements, its easy-to-use menu (which makes it easy to micromanage), and its innovative elements like auto-casted spells, WarCraft III has the most disappointing gameplay compared to StarCraft or Red Alert 2 (the games I played prior to playing WarCraft III).

The problem is: I just cannot rationally, logically tell what's wrong with this game. I just feel that the game is boring, where each mission feels nothing but obligatory chore to go through its excellent storyline. This is much different than Red Alert 2, where my reason to go to the next mission is because I can't wait to harass my opponents with terror drones again (and Kirov, and Dreadnought) instead of discovering the next cutscene.

I get the same exact feeling. Maybe it's the addition of RPG elements... maybe it's the overscaled units... maybe it's he huge impact hero units make over anything else ingame (skirmish was unplayable for me) - but it's one of my least favorite RTS games. I LOVED the story tough - and sometimes I find myself replaying it, cheating trough the campaign just to see it again.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Mech Commander

Oh, the entire premise sounds promising, and the gameplay is actually enjoyable. The problem is: the game is just so damn difficult! A friend of mine said that IL-2 Sturmovik is the most difficult game ever, but at least I can still handle its legendarily punishing flight model . Mech Commander, on the other hand, makes me give up in the second mission. Maybe I'll try it again when I have more time, or maybe not.

It is ridiculosly hard. I recently picked it up again, and got as far as mission 6 - but I keep finding myself unable to get enough money or proper salvage to secure a victory in the next mission. I'm still gonna finish it tough. Right after I finish Dungeon Keeper Gold. (never played the original DK because it's too cluttered and confusing w/o the direct3D patch. With the patch the game looks awesome and I love it)

Svenne wrote:

All of the Need for Speed games newer than Hot Pursuit II.

Did not like Hot Pursuit II. I found ALL NFS games that did not let you upgrade and customize your car quite boring and run of the mill. I think the first NFS game I enjoyed was NFS Porsche. When Hot Pursuit II came out I expected something similar, and was profoundly disappointed. I hated it from the first 30 minutes of gameplay. Gave it to a friend for free.

I loved Underground and Underground II when they came out. Prostreet wasn't bad either. I also liked Most Wanted. I think that's the last NFS game I liked. Prostreet II was a huge tease. It lets you do more interesting things to the cars and lets you drive on great tracks, but car handling is horrible and computer opponents are extremely annoying. Because it's the only NFS game to feature the E30 M3 (especially with the M5 V10 swap) I tried it lots of times - with the KB, then with several controllers, including a rather expensive steering wheel I borrowed from a fried - they all sucked. Such a shame. NFS Prostreet II was one of the biggest disappointments for me.

fillosaurus wrote:

Biggest letdown was Black&White, which did not run on any of my PCs. Waste of money. Then Stonekeep. I only managed to run it with dosbox, it does not work on any of my PCs. Morrowwind was kinda MEH. So is Oblivion. I guess I was too Gothic to enjoy the weak story of M and O.
When I played the first Gothic, I had a Celeron 600 overclocked to 900, with 128 Mb of SDRAM. And a TNT2 M64. Oh, the horror.... whenever I loaded a savegame, I had to wait 7mins, actually I had time to go for a smoke. With 256 Mb, it was a different story. Enjoyed G2 too. Even G3, after the community patches..

Black and White and Black and White 2 are in my favorite games of all time list. I don't see how the fact that it won't run on any of your machines makes it a disappointment. I ran B&W1 back in the day on an athlon XP 2500+ with 512mb of ram and an FX 5200 and it ran pretty good. Replayed it later on an Athlon 64 X2 (on vista I think) and again, no issues whatsoever. B&W 2 was pretty demanding back in the day. I remember it ran pretty poorly on my machine because it looked so good and I had all the eye candy turned way up. Framerate be damned! Also enjoyed it a lot more then the prequel because it focused more on building your city rather then creature training (witch I never really did properly in the first one anyway).

If you came from Elder Scrolls Arena to Morrowind like I did, maybe you would have liked it. I loved everything. The graphics, the gameplay, the speech, everything. On the other hand, I found the gothic series kind of bland. I played them all the way up to 3, but I wouldn't replay them.

NitroX infinity wrote:

Any C&C starting from RA2
I never got that feeling I got from RA1.

Yes and no... none seem to capture the feeling of the original C&C and Red Alert, but C&C 3 comes close. C&C 3 was a good game.
I was HUGELY disappointing by tiberina sun. The graphics were weird - I hated the new units - the Titans and Wolverines replaced the Hummvee and medium tanks and looked like crap. Very poor animation. They should have stuck with what works. It was the moment they went from serious to cheesy. The above mentioned units are done right in C&C 3 Kane's Wrath. The 3D engine makes the walkers animations beautiful and the units are a pleasure to use. Didn't much enjoy Red Alert 2 either. Good gameplay, but I didn't like the story.

NitroX infinity wrote:

From Dust
Populous The Beginning rip-off that doesn't do the concept justice.

I actually loved it. It's not quite populous, but one can only play Populous so many times before going insane. I enjoyed From Dust for being a sort of spiritual sequel.

RogueTrip2012 wrote:

@ RacoonRider, nice triple post 🤣.

GTA 3+ Bores me. Bought GTA 4/LC pack on steam and got to the first date with some chick at a bowling ally (very early point in game) and gotta say WTF! I won't be buying Sleeping Dogs cause it has some girls you gotta deal with. LAME!

WTF dude? Are you averse to women?

On a more serious note, I hated the forced social interactions in GTA 4. If I want to go for a beer, I'll call a friend and go get a f*cking beer. I don't need to do it in a f*cking game.

RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Quake 3 - NO SP!! really, no SP, its just a training course. F.U. Q3

Agreed. I had great hopes for Quake 3 but it turned out to be a boring turd sandwich. It was a sad time in ID Software's existence when they emphasized on graphics rather then story and gameplay. Not that Doom, quake and quake 2 really had much of a story, but you at least got the occasional wall of text / cutscene (quake 2) that helped with immersion and made you keep going.

I never really liked multiplayer (except in RTS and some RPG games) so a FPS with no story at all is a complete put-off.

Lots of you didn't like Bioshock, comparing it to System Shock. I tried system shock recently and found it way to tedious. Guess you guys hate bioshock for the same reasons I like it.

The one game I find to be the biggest disappointment of them all (for me), by far is (drum roll) the horrendous shit sandwich with period blood sauce called Command and Conquer 4. As a huge RTS fan, and an even bigger fan of the Command and Conquer series (well, C&C1, red alert 1 and C&C3 anyway) I found C&C4 to be a huge F*uck you in the face of fans. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? Did they ever get any feedback from fans of the series? WTF is that shit? Is it an RTS? Not really. Is it command and conquer? GOD no! It's nothing. It only uses the name, the sides and the characters, turning the last game in the series into crap and tarnishing the name of one of my favorite childhood games forever. After a few years I'm still mad about it. F*CK you EA. Eat a d***.

Please excuse the coarse language.