Common searches

Most disappointing games?

Topic actions

Reply 280 of 532, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm even more disappointed by claims of any Serious Sam game being "the next Doom" or "the true Duke3D sequel" or anything like that, rewriting those games as mindless arena horde games, often by the Sam fans themselves to justify their pretension. You know, the same kind that buy into Toxikk's misleading "frag like it's 1999" marketing.

If it's anything, it's more of a Smash TV 3D. Makes sense with its arcade sensibilities.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 283 of 532, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For me it was Ultima 8.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 284 of 532, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I couldn't agree more with Ultima 8. Played the whole series from the beginning, starting with my Apple II. When 7 came out I was working full time so playing through it and its expansions took me some time (right up to the release of 8 ). Then I bought 8, and chose to ignore many of the magazine reviews thinking they just didn't understand the series and wouldn't know a good game if it bit 'em in the face. Oh my god it was so bad. The controls were some of the worst I have ever had to deal with in a game. That makes no sense if you know that the Ultima series is a keyboard or keyboard and mouse RPG series, but the first 1000 times you fall to your death from jumping on platforms, then you will understand. The story made no sense whatsoever, and I gave up with spell casting because of the god awful system they put in place. Its one of the biggest letdowns I've ever had in games, and I've been playing console games since '78 and computer games since '79. I did beta for Ultima Online and that was almost as bad as Ultima 8, but it at least got better.

The only other game that was as disappointing to me as Ultima 8 was Elemental War of Magic. One of my all time favorite games was Masters of Magic and I couldn't wait for Elemental's release (as it was supposed to be a modern version of it). Friend and I bought it and found out the Multiplayer was utterly broken. Couldn't even play through a single player campaign. I know that they patched it and removed the multiplayer part since they couldn't fix it. I know the patched version made the single player part work, but I just couldn't make myself play it after the fiasco that was its release and many months of worthless patches. The replacement game Elemental Fallen Enchantress was well done, but I really wanted to play it with friends. That whole series was just one big disaster.

Last edited by Kodai on 2016-02-20, 08:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 285 of 532, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kodai--

*Nodding head in agreement at your U8 criticisms*

I too started on the Apple II, but I did skip some in the series. I started with Ultima 2 and beat it. Then I played and beat 3 on my brother's Atari 800XL. Beat 4 on the Apple. Played, but never beat 5 on the Apple. Never played 6 because they never made it for Apple due to its complexity. Played and beat 7 on my first ever x86 platform (386sx-20).

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 286 of 532, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember being pretty disappointed when Infocom released Stationfall, the sequel to Planetfall. How do you follow up such an awesome game like Planetfall? It just didn't come close.

Reply 287 of 532, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Surprised it hasn't got here in five years, but for me, Star Control 3.
Only game that playing the demo made me not want to buy.

(Or is this one of the places that follows the strategy in
https://xkcd.com/566/
and wonders why nobody ever made a sequel to Star Control 2?)

Reply 289 of 532, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dougdahl wrote:

Surprised it hasn't got here in five years, but for me, Star Control 3.

Yep. Have bought it, first impressions were awful compared to SC2. Next day have returned it to the shop.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 290 of 532, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rod Primitive wrote:

Any game Pewdiepie, RadBrad, Markiplier or whatever LP idiot playing.

Other than obvious Youtuber-bait like Goat Simulator, what bearing does that have over the quality of the game? Absolutely nothing, that's what.

You know you can completely ignore Youtubers, right?

Reply 291 of 532, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
dexter311 wrote:
Rod Primitive wrote:

Other than obvious Youtuber-bait like Goat Simulator, what bearing does that have over the quality of the game? Absolutely nothing, that's what.

You know you can completely ignore Youtubers, right?

ElCPi.gif

Reply 292 of 532, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I usually don't bring up "Comic book guy", but Austerlitz... Ohhhh boy! 😳

austerlitz_5.gif

comic-book-guy-worst-post-ever.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 293 of 532, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rod Primitive wrote:

Ha ha!
I made the fatal mistake of dropping a critical comment in one of Piedepie's (sic) video reviews and quickly had to batten down the hatches due to the foaming at the mouth it caused.

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 294 of 532, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Splinter wrote:
Rod Primitive wrote:

Ha ha!
I made the fatal mistake of dropping a critical comment in one of Piedepie's (sic) video reviews and quickly had to batten down the hatches due to the foaming at the mouth it caused.

I bet.

Reply 295 of 532, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In general these LPers seem to be pretty nice guys but man, are the games they play stupid. Their fanbases are far too rabidly defensive, too.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 297 of 532, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Left 4 Dead 2 - I don't have words to describe how utterly boring, gimmicky, rushed and stupid this game was.

Quake 3 - MP Only? Really? REALLY?

DOOM 3 - Most people already expressed the same disappointed on how pretty it could be, but in the end just a tech demo and not a game.

BioShock - Raved about by reviewers, I ended up just watching a YT video with all the story bits and cutscene's because as a game, it's just drivel. No matter what I do this game just gives me a damn headache when I try to play it.

Borderlands The Pre Sequel - This is not the Borderlands I'm looking for, moved along. I'm still angry as hell about this terribad game I pre-ordered with the season pass... This was before you could get refunds on steam, and this is the only game I ever really wanted a refund for (and I bought Nerves of Steel). Steaming pile up there with A:CM. I hope Gearbox's next game flops and they finally go out of business.

Duke Nukem Forever - how can you not be disappointed in this.

Fallout 4 - Skyrim is a masterpiece of an RPG compared to this lackluster tech-demo + bad minecraft simulator. I am a huge fan of all things Fallout, I am sad to say that Beth has killed it for me. Fallout 3 was tolerable because Obsidian made the real Fallout game with NV, and we could port F3 into that engine with it's mechanics. Dumbed down garbage for the masses of sheeple without any concept of what an RPG is.

/EndRant

Reply 298 of 532, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RoyBatty wrote:

Well, the environments were pretty, and more diverse than Quake II.

RoyBatty wrote:

DOOM 3 - Most people already expressed the same disappointed on how pretty it could be, but in the end just a tech demo and not a game.

It had its scary and tense bits, and IMO, good enough to play once. But other than Hell, no level is really worth a replay.

RoyBatty wrote:

BioShock - Raved about by reviewers, I ended up just watching a YT video with all the story bits and cutscene's because as a game, it's just drivel. No matter what I do this game just gives me a damn headache when I try to play it.

Oh boy, did I struggle through this one. The environments were so beatiful, that I actually plodded on and on, repressing how boring, tedious and monotonous the game itself is. The stupid pipe mazes were somewhat fun like the first 100 times, but come on, couldn't you at least come up with a few different puzzles and not the same thing over and over? The enemies repeat the same dumb one-liners; it would be better if they just emitted mindless roars like the zombies in DOOM.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 299 of 532, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RoyBatty wrote:

Fallout 4 - Skyrim is a masterpiece of an RPG compared to this lackluster tech-demo

I'd want to know what masterpiece games appeared after 2010 as can't remember even one.

dr_st wrote:
RoyBatty wrote:

the environments were pretty

environments were tasteless. the game.. is good as benchmark, not more

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide