Topic actions

Reply 343 of 532, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tertz wrote:

SC3. misprint

Good. You are absolved of your sins and have returned to the path of righteousness.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 345 of 532, by adlibmuseum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One of the first games that springs to mind is The Dagger Of Amon Ra (aka Laura Bow #2).

I was a huge fan of the Colonel's Bequest game. Next to co-creating a fan site that is still on-line (I also created a Henri Dijon Twitter bot, tweet "ASK @henridijon ABOUT FIFI 🤣 ), but #2 was a huge disappointment to me. I thought the feel of the game was completely different and Laura felt like a completely different person (although looking back, she didn't have a real personality in Colonel's Bequest, so maybe in hindsight that's not really fair...). Also never could get into the story. The CD-ROM voices were another disappointment, always assumed it was a low-budget voice-over job.

Other disappointing Sierra titles, IMO, were KQ 7 and - 😢 - KQ 8 😉

Reply 346 of 532, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rod Primitive wrote:

Yeah, Starcraft 2 was awesome.

Pssshhaw! Star Control 2 is twice the game Starcraft is, and Starcraft is twice as good as it's sequel.

adlibmuseum wrote:

One of the first games that springs to mind is The Dagger Of Amon Ra (aka Laura Bow #2).

LB2 was worth it just for the music, as were most of the Sierra games from their pre-buyout period.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 348 of 532, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quake 3 was m... not like Quake. The game should to have another name. Quake 2 had tasteless design, low innovation, but acceptable gameplay for its time. While Quake 3 will be memorized mostly as benchmark. You play it a little and then forget it.
Hitman 2. They've made it like shooter, no fresh ideas, boring levels. Why? The 1st part was masterpiece. I've dropped to play it on 2nd mission and returned to the game after several years later.

gdjacobs wrote:

You are absolved of your sins and have returned to the path of righteousness.

Jesus, I was innocent from the beginning.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 349 of 532, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I seem to remember Quake 3 multiplayer being extremely popular. Just as popular as UT. But hey whatever you guys wanna think.

I didn't play much of Quake 2 or Quake 1 back in the day but those games were successes because of the multiplayer and mods. Quake 1 is a game design mess because the id folks couldn't agree on what to make, but the tech and play was solid. Quake 2 was much more focused and really established the Quake universe.

Reply 350 of 532, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah there's a lot of revisionism here.

people certainly aren't playing quake3 online today because it's a benchmark. It's not even a reliable benchmark anymore, given how fixed-function it still very much is. It's mostly CPU work happening when paired with modern hardware.

then again he sees my game as only 'big tits' so.......

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 351 of 532, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Quake 1 is a game design mess because the id folks couldn't agree on what to make, but the tech and play was solid. Quake 2 was much more focused and really established the Quake universe.

Having read some of the history of their development, I understand what you are saying about the first Quake. It really looks like a game that cannot decide between futuristic and medieval, technology and magic, and seems to go between the two without much visible logic. This goes to both level design and the enemies. But oddly, it works, as you say. The game is fun to play. Quake II, on the other hand, is "focused" to the point of being monotonous and eventually becomes boring.

Tertz wrote:

Quake 3 was m... not like Quake. The game should to have another name. Quake 2 had tasteless design, low innovation, but acceptable gameplay for its time. While Quake 3 will be memorized mostly as benchmark. You play it a little and then forget it.

News flash - Quake III was a multiplayer-only game. Its single player "campaign" serves no purpose (and does not pretend to serve any purpose) except as a tutorial and target practice. As a multiplayer game it was just fine.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 352 of 532, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I seem to remember Quake 3 multiplayer being extremely popular.

Not in my place, at least. I remember people played in multiplayer: Quake/Q2/mods, Duke/Blood, Half-Life/CS, Unreal/UT, etc. while popularity of Q3 have dropped rather quickly. If not "Quake" brand I doubt it would get significant interest.

Quake 1 is a game design mess

Quake is close to ideal as FPS and art design.

leileilol wrote:

he sees my game as only 'big tits' so.......

On the current moment it's the only interesting thing there compared to other FPS. And I'm sure, animated big tits in FPS is the main chance for you to create something really fresh and meaningful in this genre.

dr_st wrote:

Its single player "campaign" serves no purpose

Yeah, if it would be same mediocre and not catching as multiplayer. ID have created there the new genre of techno demo for the engine.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 353 of 532, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You ought to be built for a game like Quake 3, because it's boring to death.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 355 of 532, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Firtasik wrote:

Lucy has big tits in Q3A. 😎

I didn't know the reference, looked it up and ran across this: http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Lucy
Whoever did this wiki doesn't know body weight, pictured is far heavier than 170 lbs, easily 240.

Reply 356 of 532, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Coming from Black & White, Black & White 2 was a major disappointment. It's basically the de-evolution of a god game into a piss-poor RTS with bad controls that wants to be a god game but makes it out to be more of a spectator sport.

The tasks are also either extremely boring or mundane like, "please, god, move this rock that has fallen onto my garden" and bonus tribute for stupid things like deforesting the island before moving on; which by the way, DOESN'T WORK!

Reply 357 of 532, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lo Wang wrote:

15 years later there is still no better TDM. Same can be said about CTF of Quake 2.

Reply 359 of 532, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote:
Lo Wang wrote:

15 years later there is still no better TDM. Same can be said about CTF of Quake 2.

15 years later FFA died in southamerica, quake live too.

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg