Most disappointing games?

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 532, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

The only way Daikatana is satire is if it's a story about an arrogant video game producer/writer's inflated sense of self importance ...

Source?

Reply 262 of 532, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Being John Romero means never admitting you're wrong.
http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/archive/t-525112.html (salient features mid-way down)

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 263 of 532, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
Source found: http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/galleries/display/66/66813.jpg […]
Show full quote

Source found: 66813.jpg

Not his doing.

Reply 265 of 532, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not a good game, but it's also not a totally bad game, if you exclude the entire first chapter (which is simply atrocious). By 2000 it was terribly outdated even gameplay wise. I think had it come out in late 1998 or early 1999 the reception would have been far better, even if it came out exactly the way it did.

Reply 266 of 532, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Daikatana is a good game, at least in the sense that I enjoyed playing it more than I enjoyed some other games, which were generally considered "good games".

Other than that, it's a game with quite a few interesting ideas and quite a few technical flaws which can make it very off-putting to someone not willing to spend a little time setting everything up correctly. For instance, in addition to what was already mentioned, there are things like the slow ticking of the loading bar, and the fact that it is almost guaranteed to be way too dark on the default settings, until you beef up the "intensity" (which is entirely not obvious, because it's not called "brightness"!). And even the music, which is one of the nicest things in the game, is so quiet by default that it's almost inaudible.

All these things are easily fixed, but most newcomers are bound to miss them and get a crappy experience.

It is also a good point that gameplay-wise it was outdated in 2000, since the FPS genre moved on from the general DOOM-style monster massacre-fest to something more slow and more narrated. Daikatana is an old-school shooter, and would feel out of place compared to contemporary games. Then again, I expect that folks on VOGONS, of all places, are more ready to appreciate old-school games. After all, we are in 2015. Whether a game is 15, or 17 years old, hardly matters at this point.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 267 of 532, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At least Daikatana is honest about the Intensity. That's what Quake2 internally called that fake gamma crap that no one ever bothers removing for proper screen gamma control.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 268 of 532, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Although not "most dissapointing" I will put Fallout 4 here. Most overhyped game ever.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 269 of 532, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Although not "most dissapointing" I will put Fallout 4 here. Most overhyped game ever.

Yeah way too many people let themselves get caught up in the hype. As a Bethesda Fallout game, it did pretty much what it had to do (i.e. Skyrim with guns).

Reply 271 of 532, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexter311 wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Yeah way too many people let themselves get caught up in the hype. As a Bethesda Fallout game, it did pretty much what it had to do (i.e. Skyrim with guns).

What really annoys me is the fact that the DIALOG options of all things were dumbed down and the interface is yet again a crappy console port on PC just like Skyrim. I think Bethesda is really losing sight of things. 😒

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 272 of 532, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Come on, more than Bioshock Infinite?

Bioshock: Infinite is one of the most disappointing games ever, at least to me. The preview videos promised so much, and yet the finished game was inferior to Bioshock 1 and 2, both of which are great, and Infinite was still good, but it was so lacking compared to Bioshock 1 and 2. The gunplay was cut down, the world felt more lifeless than Rapture (the dying city in Bioshock 1 and 2), the storyline made little sense, and the ending was pretentious drivel. And we were promised this amazingly life-like companian, who turned out to be just a scripted, indestructible*, standard NPC, albeit one with better-than-usual dialogue and no obvious A.I. flaws.

Still not a bad game at all, but nothing like you'd expect given all the hype and the 10/10 reviews.

* I hate indestructable sidekicks in games, it just reminds you it's a game when you don't have to worry about them dying from enemy attacks.

King_Corduroy wrote:
dexter311 wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

What really annoys me is the fact that the DIALOG options of all things were dumbed down and the interface is yet again a crappy console port on PC just like Skyrim. I think Bethesda is really losing sight of things. 😒

Skyrim was hardly bug-free on consoles either, so it might have been developed for consoles first (which I hate, even though I love consoles, as all games should be developed for the most powerful platform first, then ported down, to assure quality) but whichever version you played, you saw quite a few bugs. Still a great game, though (the only Elder Scrolls game I've played, so far), and when I replay it I'll be filling it with mods. Especially ones to improve the GUI, which whilst not too great for consoles (easier ways to mass-select items according to crieria, for example, would be great) was nowhere near as good as it should have been on the PC.

I have heard, though, that every Bethesda game is dumbed down more than the last game, presumable in an effort to enlarge the potential user base. And since it seems to be working, it doesn't seem likely that Bethesda (or any other company) are going to release a game that's more intellectually challenging, as that would be very bad for business.

Reply 273 of 532, by MrPuddingSauce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Daggerfall.
I was having a good time playing this game, until I got to the point where the game would crash if I tried to progress the game anymore...
So maybe it isn't a disappointing game, but it's disappointing that it can't be played all the way through on newer systems. 😢

Reply 274 of 532, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrPuddingSauce wrote:

Daggerfall.
I was having a good time playing this game, until I got to the point where the game would crash if I tried to progress the game anymore...
So maybe it isn't a disappointing game, but it's disappointing that it can't be played all the way through on newer systems. 😢

Now see I couldn't seem to get any quests done in time in this game and I got hopelessly lost in the dungeons EVERY TIME!! 🤣
It looked like it would have been kinda fun though since you could do neat stuff like buying houses.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 275 of 532, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Putas wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Come on, more than Bioshock Infinite?

You are utterly right. I forgot I also bought and disliked a lot Bioshock Infinite. I have finished Fallout 4. It got its moments, unlike Bioshock Infinite.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 276 of 532, by autoexecdotbat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

tiertex's amstrad port of bonanza bros was an abomination that made me joke tiertex was nothing more than brittish ljn.

to win the game you must defeat coppa!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ

Reply 278 of 532, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Serious Sam: The First Encounter. I don't understand what makes the game deserve such praises. Yes, the graphics are good-looking and fast, but the game play is basically Quake II. But the worst offender is the weapons; sure, you're given cool weapons like M1A2 Thompson and XM-214-A Minigun, but the ammo is so scarce that you're forced to use shotgun all the time. It is seriously (no pun intended) annoying, since the player is forced to face nimble, fast-moving enemies like Kleer Skeleton and Sirian Werebull with slow-firing shotgun.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 279 of 532, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never had so much fun as a few years back when I discovered that my assumptions of Serious Sam being a cheap knock-off cash-grab copy attempt at Duke Nukem were completely wrong and played TFE HD and had a blast. I played it with my dad and uncle in co-op a lot. Just recently my dad bought it for my sisters and we've all been playing BFE, which is a better game, I think. TFE is definintely better than TSE, though I do appreciate the change in scenery. Haven't even touched SS2, don't think I will. TFE has huuuuuge levels and has way more baddies at one time than Quake ever did. Try it in co-op. It's such a blast.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.