VOGONS

Common searches

Sid Meier’s Gettysburg

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Druzhina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some common problems with Sid Meier’s Gettysburg

If autorun of the CD gives a Kernel32.dll error then run setup from the CD.

If the game crashes with an error message on accessing the Preferences screen, make sure you have the new version of LABELS.TXT that comes with Patch 3 in the Gettysburg folder.

If no troops appear in the 3 day scenario - this only works with the 3rd patch not the XP patch.

If you get a 'this is not a valid Win2 application' error when running the self extracting .zip file of Patch 3 from Firaxis - Download the 3rd patch as a plain .zip file from: http://smx.iblogger.org/SMG.htm instead.

Druzhina

Reply 4 of 17, by maxsun08

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope someone still reads this thread. I've managed to install The SM's Civil War Collection (Gettysburg and Antietam) on Vista OS as well as the Compatibility Patch: Lee.exe 6/6/02 and Sounds.dll 4/18/02. The game runs, minor bugs but nothing that keeps me from playing it.

Recently, I wanted to use some scenarios I found online a 3 and 6 Day Campaign (Getty83.scn and Getty87.scn) however went the map comes up no troops or activity starts or happens just an empty landscape of Gettysburg. I saw that those scenarios work with Patchv3 and not the compatibility patch, which I tried and it does work troops and everything show up except now the game doesn't save. Lee.exe 3/13/98 crashes when I try to Save or Load a game.

Overall, I can play standard scenarios, save and load games using Lee.exe 6/6/02 but not custom scenarios or I can play the custom scenarios using Lee.exe 3/13/98 but I can't save or load games at all.

I've searched for 3 months and haven't found a solution to this is there is one, however if someone knows I'd be very much appreciative.

Thanks!

Reply 5 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are these scenarios stored in individual files? If so, maybe it's possible to examine them with a hex editor and see if they reference functions, files, or directories that do no exist in the patched versions.

The obvious possibility that springs to mind is that it might be trying to write to a directory that requires Administrator privileges to write to (perhaps a subdirectory of C:\Windows, or something). Maybe it works if you run the game as a user with Administrator privileges? (You might want to back up your system first!)

Reply 8 of 17, by Druzhina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would say blunt rather than strong.

User made scenarios use the same format as official scenarios.

Scenarios that run for more than 1 day (both official & user made) differ in 1 respect, they have an extra digit for victory point sites to set the day or days they are active e.g.:

+uI 07,6xxxx,*Seminary Ridge
*.......^
* blank or 0 = permanent
* 1 = Day 2 and 3
* 2 = Day 1 and 3
* 3 = Day 3 only
* 4 = Day 1 and 2
* 5 = Day 2 only
* 6 = Day 1 only

(An asterisk denotes a remark)
The comma separated field this is part of is added to from right to left, 1 alphnumerical character per scenario variant.

Reply 9 of 17, by maxsun08

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First, let me say thanks for replying!

So I tried running Lee.exe as Administrator but no change or difference. I looked through the scenarios in Notebook and found few differences and tried to make the changes but when I run them in Lee.exe 6/6/02 still just a blank map. Here is a zip of the scenarios I downloaded. Getty87 is the one that comes up blank.

Attachments

• Filename
    AngleScenarios.zip
    File size
    246.4 KiB
    Downloads
    290 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 17, by Druzhina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, these are available at http://smx.iblogger.org/SMGBattlePacks.htm

Scenario 26 is the official Firaxis 3 day Gettysburg scenario. Later releases (only) of Sid Meier’s Gettysburg have this in an 'extra' folder.

Can you save any game, official or custom, when using patch 3 on Vista, (including single day scenarios)?

Druzhina

Reply 11 of 17, by maxsun08

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Negative. not able to save any game, custom or official. When I select Save or Load, the browser prompt comes up and immediately when I select a file to load or save a Windows prompt pops "Lee.exe has stopped working", then the entire game closes down.

Hey again, thanks for helping on this. I've been pulling my hair on this for a while now.

Reply 12 of 17, by Druzhina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I expected that was the case.

I don't have a solution other than to pause & leave the computer on.

You can register at the Gettysburg Online Society http://mattslow.proboards.com/

Someone may find a solution.

It seems that Firaxis' changes to make the XP patch allowed it to continue to save games on later OSs, but unfortunately they did not base their changes on the 3rd patch so some new features were left out.

Druzhina

Reply 13 of 17, by maxsun08

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I very much appreciate your time and I'll be registering with Gettysburg Online Society. I do have one other question, seeing that I'm able to edit the scenario's in notebook, could there be something there that I'm missing or overlooking that keeps the scenario loading with troops/units? I looked at the extra chr for the VP sites as you mentioned and all seems fine there but I'm not an expert either.

Thanks again.

Reply 14 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm really not all that familiar with the game, but one test would be to copy the contents of one of the official scenarios and then try to load it up as if it was a user-made scenario. If it still works, then it's a problem with the contents of the user-made scenario you're trying to load; if it doesn't, then it's something in the mechanism by which user-made scenarios are loaded.

Reply 15 of 17, by Druzhina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

maxsun08,

The 'greater than 1 day scenarios' (official and user-made) will have no troops regardless of the operating system without patch 3. You are not missing anything.

Jorpho,

Official and user-made scenario are loaded exactly the same way and can be (and have been) given the same scenario numbers. As maxsun08 says, he can not save either official or user-made scenarios on Vista using the 3rd patch .exe.

Druzhina

Reply 16 of 17, by Druzhina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some gamers have found that when attempting to install Sid Meier’s Gettysburg or Antietam on Windows 7 using the instructions here:
http://mattslow.proboards.com/index.cgi?board … play&thread=310
then find that nothing happens when they doubleclick on setup.exe.
This can be caused by a software conflict as the game can be installed in Safe Mode.

If instead the installation starts, but stops after a certain percentage completed - a dirty or damaged CD should be suspected.

Druzhina