Common searches

FPS games using a joypad

Topic actions

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently got myself a (brand new) Xbox 1 to be able to play some titles that were never released on the PC.

I consider myself very skilled when it comes to playing FPS games...on a 10 grade scale maybe 8.5/10 but when it comes to playing titles as Call of Doty 2 Big Red One, Call Of Duty 3 and other FPS games on the Xbox I feel it's impossible to aim and stuff since I'm been using keyboard/Mouse on the PC when..it almost feel like learning to walk again or am I too old to learn? lolol

*must hack an adapter so I can hook up my mouse/keyboard to the xbox* 😁 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 1 of 65, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

had the same prob amigo, just play and eventually you will get used to it and all will be fine

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 65, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember reading about some posts where the console joypad-jockeys boasting about how good they are using the joypads, and some even boast about defeating a keyboard-mouse combo user online, while playing a pc game with a joypad. Maybe they're good with the joypad. Or maybe they have played with a noob keyb-mouse user.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 65, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most pro FPS matches I have seen on TV, has been with a keyboard and mouse combo, but I would like to see a pro FPS match, where one team used joypads and the other team used a keyboard and mouse combo, and see the outcome of that fight.

Oh and by the way Amigaz, there are already adaptors to the original XBOX that are keyboard and mouse combos. But they are PS2 keyboard and mouse to XBOX adaptors. So I hope you can live with that.

Reply 4 of 65, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Console games use auto aiming. It's often enough to aim ~ in the direction and you will get a hit.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 65, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Console games use auto aiming. It's often enough to aim ~ in the direction and you will get a hit.

A few games have that feature, yes....but most of them doesn't have it

Last edited by Amigaz on 2010-11-05, 18:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 65, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:

Most pro FPS matches I have seen on TV, has been with a keyboard and mouse combo, but I would like to see a pro FPS match, where one team used joypads and the other team used a keyboard and mouse combo, and see the outcome of that fight.

Oh and by the way Amigaz, there are already adaptors to the original XBOX that are keyboard and mouse combos. But they are PS2 keyboard and mouse to XBOX adaptors. So I hope you can live with that.

I'd like to see such a match too..my guess is that the joypad dude/gal would be owned.

Never seen the adaptor you mention....must be something that was sold back when the Xbox still was hot?

Reply 7 of 65, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

had the same prob amigo, just play and eventually you will get used to it and all will be fine

You know how many years it will take? 😉

I've been "practicing" now for about 3-4 hours but I hardly see any progress, 🤣

Reply 8 of 65, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

I remember reading about some posts where the console joypad-jockeys boasting about how good they are using the joypads, and some even boast about defeating a keyboard-mouse combo user online, while playing a pc game with a joypad. Maybe they're good with the joypad. Or maybe they have played with a noob keyb-mouse user.

That keyb-mouse user must have had the same skillz as I had when I started playing FPS games back in early 2000 but after circa 2 years of hardcore Counter Strike clan match gaming my skill level increased rapidly 😎

Reply 9 of 65, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*Amigaz considers getting this:*

http://www.amazon.com/Smartjoy-Frag-Keyboard- … x/dp/B0009VLUF4

Reply 10 of 65, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

Go get it, it is a nice price 😀 that was actually one of the adaptors I looked at earlier today, when I searched for it. But I think there are a few more, other than that adaptor. But well you could check out different adaptors before hand. So do a search, but hey it still looks like a good deal that item.

Reply 11 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Playing FPS games with a joypad has become second nature for me. At first i used to hate the idea of playing an FPS game without a keyboard & mouse... But now i think i'm pretty good with a joypad 😀

Playing FPS games with a keyboard & mouse combo seems way too easy and lazy after spending hours using a joypad (it's like lifting something light right after you've been lifting heavy objects for the last hour 🤣).
I personally think it takes more skill to use a joypad in a frantic multiplayer game of... lets say Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for instance. Keyboard + mouse is just too easy as all you do is "point and click" 🤣

Anyway, as with quite a few people, i find myself leaning towards consoles as my main gaming platform now... mainly because most people i know own an Xbox 360 (and the odd couple own a PS3). Also most of my friends seem to use their PC's just for web browsing these days 😒

Also there are very few console FPS games with auto-aim... And auto-aim is never present in multiplayer games.

Reply 13 of 65, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe it's just personal preference, but I feel much better when handling with a mouse - moving and aiming the gun with a mouse is more realistic. The movement of the arm over the mouse, (not just the thumb as with a joypad), is more "coordinating-feel" with the aiming of the gun in a game.

Moving the joypad's analog stick feels like just moving a tank's nozzle. Or more like handling large pipes in a factory through the bridge's machinery. 😉

But then again, it's just a matter of preference and how well you're used to it.

Reply 14 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

And auto-aim is never present in multiplayer games.

Halo says hi.

Ok, i missed that one... but i was never a Halo fan 🙄

Reply 15 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Maybe it's just personal preference, but I feel much better when handling with a mouse - moving and aiming the gun with a mouse is more realistic. The movement of the arm over the mouse, (not just the thumb as with a joypad), is more "coordinating-feel" with the aiming of the gun in a game.

Moving the joypad's analog stick feels like just moving a tank's nozzle. Or more like handling large pipes in a factory through the bridge's machinery. 😉

But then again, it's just a matter of preference and how well you're used to it.

I agree it's much easier to aim with a mouse, but i also like the comfort of a joypad, and triggers are more natural for me than clicking a mouse button 😀

I don't mind using either control methods... both have their ups and downs. I would never use a joypad when playing FPS games on a PC... or use a keyboard & mouse on a PS3 or Xbox 360.

Reply 16 of 65, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Yeah, it feels like you're trying to move a gun turret almost.

well...slowly getting better at this but still suck, 🤣

This is one of the things that put me off getting a console but I got this Xbox so I can do some "practice" until Micro$oft releases a new console which imho shouldn't happen soon and the used Xbox 360 prices will be more reasonable than they are now over here.

Reply 17 of 65, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Consoles are good, for certain games. Though I'm not into the XBOX category, I have all three generations of PlayStation. (Four, if you count the PSP.)

And consoles give me a piece of mind when getting a new game - I don't need to worry about the "System Requirements", let alone the "Recommended" Requirements! I know that thing's just gonna play. 😁

But as the King of Gaming platform, my vote is always for the PC. In a few years, I think those crack-genious/homebrewers/modders/master emulator coders will come up with a 360 emulator, a good PS2 emulator and a working PS3 emulator - all you have to do is to pop in a Xbox 360 DVD and start playing....just like how I now, sometimes play PSX (PSOne) games using ePSXe (Playstation 1 emulator) on the PC ( with high resolution enhancements and added graphics card's capabilities - eg. Chrono Cross at 1280x1024) 😀

Reply 18 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Consoles are good, for certain games. Though I'm not into the XBOX category

May i ask why? I have both a PS3 Slim and Xbox 360... both have great exclusives but the multi-platform games are almost always better on the Xbox 360 compared to PS3 versions (i'd say around 90% of them). I personally think the Xbox 360 is better for FPS games too as there always seems to be more players on XBL (also more mature) and i prefer the joypad layout... especially the trigger buttons 😀

Maybe it's just down to personal preference.

Reply 19 of 65, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have played a lot of console shooters starting with stuff for N64. I used to be very good at it but I haven't really been at it for probably 5 years now. It's not a big deal once you get accustomed to it. I don't even consider it that much of a limitation frankly.

I don't have any of the current consoles. I had a Wii for a few years but dumped it about 6 months ago. I was going to get rid of it a year earlier but then I learned how to mod it and I love modding consoles so I totally tweaked the thing out.

But the Wii hardware is so pathetic. My Xbox was able to show it up in many ways. Xbox can put out up to 1080i and I have Quake 2 running on it with 2X FSAA at 1280x720 and it runs butter smooth. Wii can't break 480p so it looks like crap on any HDTV even for emulating SNES games. Don't get me started on the embarrassing Wii game library.

At home right now I have a 3DO, N64, Dreamcast and the Xbox. I bought the 3DO and Dreamcast in the past couple years because I had barely used them and wanted to see the games that were hot in those years. But I really have not used them much because the games just didn't grab me like I thought they would.