Reply 20 of 65, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PowerPie5000 wrote:
Malik wrote:

Consoles are good, for certain games. Though I'm not into the XBOX category

May i ask why? I have both a PS3 Slim and Xbox 360... both have great exclusives but the multi-platform games are almost always better on the Xbox 360 compared to PS3 versions (i'd say around 90% of them). I personally think the Xbox 360 is better for FPS games too as there always seems to be more players on XBL (also more mature) and i prefer the joypad layout... especially the trigger buttons 😀

Maybe it's just down to personal preference.

I agree, XBOX 360 games are usually given a slightly better review when compared to the PS3's counterpart, especially when it comes to graphics.

No specific reason actually, I've just been stuck with the PlayStation line. Most of the games I like are available on both consoles anyway. 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 21 of 65, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Wii's novelty of "human motion" games is somewhat appealing to me, but in the final analysis, Nintendo's Wii (and its games) remind me of how I felt when I ate too much cotton candy: it's so sickly sweet it'll make you puke.

I already own almost all the "classic" console systems, but the only two additional "consoles" I have recently thought about adding to my collection are the N64 and the Dreamcast. There's only about 12 games that I would EVER want for the N64, though, so I'm not sure it's worth it (FPS Golden Eye is one of them, though!).

As for the Dreamcast, it has many more worthwhile games, in my opinion. So, it's tempting....

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 22 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digitaldoofus wrote:

As for the Dreamcast, it has many more worthwhile games, in my opinion. So, it's tempting....

Both the Shenmue games were absolutely fantastic on the DC! I just want Sega to make up their mind with the 3rd game. I don't really care much for "Shenmue Town" on mobile/cell phones unless it gets a console release... I can't stand gaming on a phone 😒

Reply 23 of 65, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My wife bought a Wii last xmas for the exercise games. Being a hardcore old-school gamer (Atari generation) I bought Metroid Prime Trilogy and Zelda Twilight Princess for it. Prime is really good, but I put it down and haven't come back to it yet because I prefer to either watch shows on the TV while gaming on my laptop, or give my full attention to games on my desktop.

Playing Metroid Prime with the Wiimote is the first time I've felt that I was able to play a console FPS with the same level of aiming control as keyboard+mouse games on PC. The turret-style stick controls of most console FPS games is just silly compared to keyboard+mouse, and these days I'm more interested in fun than skill 😀

Reply 24 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

these days I'm more interested in fun than skill 😀

The the Wii, Xbox Kinect and PS3 Move should be perfect if all you want is fun 😀

With other games, you definitely need skill to enjoy them.... Getting owned every 5 seconds is not fun for anyone.

Reply 25 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check this out: http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/11/10/cod … ox-360-winning/

Apparently it seems the Xbox 360 has way more online players than the PS3 and even the PC combined with the new COD: Black Ops game 😳

I can't help but feel something has just died in me... gone are those memorable years of the PC dominating the multiplayer FPS market 😒

Reply 27 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

uhhh that's like one game.

Thats just the start.... If the most eagerly awaited COD game is favoured on the 360 (by a large margin) then the PS3, what does this mean for future COD, Battlefield and MOH games on the PC?? The PC may not be able to keep up with consoles much longer when it comes to online gaming with FPS games!! I still prefer the PC to some extent for RPG games mainly due to community expansion packs etc... but things are starting to change!

I wonder if Deus Ex: Human Revolution will dominate on the PC (I personally think it should). Of course there are also major piracy issues going on with the PC platform that have already put some game developers and publishers off.

Reply 28 of 65, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

COD - Black Ops? bah...another COD game with a single player campagin you'll finish in 2-3 hours 😜

I wonder when we'll see a new FPS game with a proper single player campaign...

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 29 of 65, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ amen to that!!!
I am just glad I can reply the 1997-2001 classics... we won't see another Unreal, Undying, Quake II etc.... 🙁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 30 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

COD - Black Ops? bah...another COD game with a single player campagin you'll finish in 2-3 hours 😜

Who even buys COD (or similar) games for single player mode these days?

I'm hoping Duke Nukem Forever will have a decent (and hopefully funny) single player mode. The next Bioshock should be great and of course Deus Ex: Human Revolution... What about FEAR 3? I'm sure there's plenty of FPS games with decent story modes coming along 😀

Reply 31 of 65, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PowerPie5000 wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

these days I'm more interested in fun than skill 😀

The the Wii, Xbox Kinect and PS3 Move should be perfect if all you want is fun 😀

With other games, you definitely need skill to enjoy them.... Getting owned every 5 seconds is not fun for anyone.

Nah, I just tend to play single-player and cooperative multiplayer games a lot more than competitive multiplayer games these days. Left4Dead has taken over what little time I still occasionally spent playing Team Fortress 2 or Counter-Strike: Source, and I just passed up a $2.50 sale on Day of Defeat: Source 😜

PowerPie5000 wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

uhhh that's like one game.

Thats just the start.... If the most eagerly awaited COD game is favoured on the 360 (by a large margin) then the PS3, what does this mean for future COD, Battlefield and MOH games on the PC?? The PC may not be able to keep up with consoles much longer when it comes to online gaming with FPS games!! I still prefer the PC to some extent for RPG games mainly due to community expansion packs etc... but things are starting to change!

The COD franchise is console-centric, as are most FPS games these days. That's where the money is, because (1) they're a cheaper way to get a graphically-capable gaming platform and (2) publishers don't lose as many potential console game sales to piracy as they do potential PC game sales. I fully accept that, but I don't believe for a second that it says anything about which platform is more technically capable of delivering a superior play experience.

I wonder if Deus Ex: Human Revolution will dominate on the PC (I personally think it should). Of course there are also major piracy issues going on with the PC platform that have already put some game developers and publishers off.

It will sell more console copies, as will ANY game published at this point for both consoles and PC.

It's also worth mentioning that you can barely find PC games in brick-and-mortar game stores in the U.S. these days. You pretty much have to buy them online now unless they're top-tier titles.

Reply 32 of 65, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

Who even buys COD (or similar) games for single player mode these days?

Hardly anyone since they have spent so little effort in making a decent single player campaign.

Online gaming was fun imho before everything went "steam", "Windows live" etc...blaah! gone are the days when you could host a freakin' game and let your pals join in. 😜

Reply 33 of 65, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

^ amen to that!!!
I am just glad I can reply the 1997-2001 classics... we won't see another Unreal, Undying, Quake II etc.... 🙁

Doing the same...and later games.

After around 2007 the game makers put much less effort in making single player campaings worth the name.

Reply 34 of 65, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:
keropi wrote:

^ amen to that!!!

After around 2007 the game makers put much less effort in making single player campaings worth the name.

Most linear FPS single-player campaigns are usually boring anyways, or at least they have been to me since I played the original Deus Ex 😜

Reply 35 of 65, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
keropi wrote:

^ amen to that!!!

Most linear FPS single-player campaigns are usually boring anyways, or at least they have been to me since I played the original Deus Ex 😜

well....here's a swedish saying roughly translated to english: "the taste is like your butt, divided" 😁
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/smaken_%C3%A4r_som_baken

Reply 36 of 65, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Amigaz, I learned that sentence from a Norwegian some years back, and it went like this. And felt totally compatible with the Danish language. Smagen er som bagen, delt. And not a "but" in it, but then again there is a "butt" in it 😉 😜

But Ludvig Holberg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludvig_Holberg, on the other hand wrote "smag og behag kan ikke diskuteres", but that is a complete fallacy . Since tastes/opinions can be discussed, but can not always be agreed upon, so people agree to disagree instead of going completely bonkers. Sorry to go off topic. I just became happy when I read a sentence I knew, so again we are extremely close in familiar stuff, when it comes to our languages.

Reply 37 of 65, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No offense meant to anyone in this thread, I'm just picking up the translation part... but isn't the "correct" analogy to this swedish saying "opinions are like assholes - everybody's got one" (and the come back: "and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks") 😀
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_ … ybodys_got_one/

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 38 of 65, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

Deus Ex is very linear. It just has some cool maps set in interesting locations. Most of the locations are loaded with fake door syndrome and "this door opens only when you've done this part of the story" stuff. There isn't even much opportunity for exploration and the world is very static.

If you want generally non-linear gaming and all of the weird quirks that it entails you gotta look at stuff like STALKER, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Just Cause, etc. But you still have to ignore the storylines to have non-linear gaming even here.

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-11-10, 21:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 39 of 65, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Deus Ex is very linear. It just has some cool maps set in interesting locations.

If you want non-linear gaming and all of the weird quirks that it entails you gotta look at stuff like STALKER, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Just Cause, etc.

Well I'll put it this way: Deus Ex was pretty much the pinnacle of linear story-driven FPS, while most of Bethesda's RPGs are among the best (albeit buggiest) first-person exploration/sandbox/open-world RPGs.