VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 50, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks but I used that, it found nothing wrong.

There was a time I might have stuck at this longer, but now I think life is too short to spend overlong on this when [a] mse seems to work ok on 7, the fixes for xp that work in most cases don't work for me and [c] i can easily uninstall mse and reinstal avg on xp and that runs ok.

Reply 41 of 50, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understand you. To be honest, I hate all that "genuine" crap with a passion. I'm tired of having to telephone them whenever a PC breaks (mainboards have a horrible tendency to die because of capacitor failure, and if you replace them, Microsoft won't let you activate online. You're forced to call them by phone).

Perhaps some day they will finally understand this and kill the whole stupid program (just like they killed the Office Genuine program a few days ago).

But in the meantime, yeah, I would probably do the same as you. Just uninstall it and find something that works.

Regards.

Reply 42 of 50, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it may have been AVG Free that was causing XP on my old desktop to stall for an extra minute or so right before it finished booting to the desktop. I ended up turning it into an Ubuntu workstation that now lives headless in another room and acts as a Linux server.

Reply 43 of 50, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got a free one-year license for BitDefender a while ago. It seems it was responsible for the terrible performance on one of my computers; a bit of searching turns up a lot of bitter complaints about its CPU usage. There is some indication that by default it checks hourly for definition updates.

Since I disabled automatic updates and Web traffic monitoring (and pretty much everything else except the on-demand scanning), I have noted a considerable performance improvement that I cannot readily attribute to other factors.

ratfink wrote:

On XP, it gave me sporadic "windows is not genuine" errors. Microsoft's own fix [to do with data.dat permissions] did not work. But because the problem is sporadic, it's a few hours before I find out. I guess it's to do with how often it contacts their server or something.

In searching, I have found at least two ways to get around installing WGA with MSE: you can either download an older version that can install without needing WGA, and then let it update itself; or you can the special installer someone cooked up which hooks into the MSE installation app. The latter is said to work on XP only.

Reply 44 of 50, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eeerhm, well I know it is almost talking about piracy, but MUblinder can help a lot of WGA problems, concerning that particular problem. To any one who thinks otherwise, then NO I am not condoning piracy, but MUblinder is a good tool. When it comes to a particular WGA problem.

Reply 45 of 50, by citapinc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a client user Microsoft Security Essentials and she got hit with a virus type attack last week. Suddenly her machine started reporting she had all types of viruses and bad sectors so she called me in a panic. Turns out she got hit with one of those Anti-Virus viruses that makes it looks like you have a bunch of viruses but in reality it's a scare tactic.

MSE didn't catch it at all. I installed NOD32 and it found and removed it right away.

Reply 47 of 50, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
citapinc wrote:

I had a client user Microsoft Security Essentials and she got hit with a virus type attack last week. Suddenly her machine started reporting she had all types of viruses and bad sectors so she called me in a panic. Turns out she got hit with one of those Anti-Virus viruses that makes it looks like you have a bunch of viruses but in reality it's a scare tactic.

MSE didn't catch it at all. I installed NOD32 and it found and removed it right away.

Makes a pretty good case for Firefox+Adblock, that.

Reply 48 of 50, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MSE is bound to have a hard time with those types of viruses, as it's likely to become a big target as more people switch to it. They release definition updates pretty much daily, though, and I don't visit seedy sites much so I'm not too worried.

Reply 49 of 50, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
citapinc wrote:

or Opera + Adblock + FlashBlock + NotScripts

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 50 of 50, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
citapinc wrote:

or Opera + Adblock + FlashBlock + NotScripts

Or Sandboxie! 😉