VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone else feel annoyed when you read about some music for a system attributed blindly as "MIDI" somehow? Like as in "the MIDI music in that SNES game is bad", stuff like that where midi doesn't exactly apply in mind with general midi as a device.
It's as diluted as a name like Photoshop is now.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 10, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't really get annoyed since people don't know what the song actually consists of.
People mostly called those music as 'chiptunes', however.

Last edited by MatthewBrian on 2010-12-12, 01:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've noticed that many times people call music from a game "MIDI" without even knowing if it's MIDI or not. How could they possibly know without having been involved in making the game? (Well, unless .MID files are present somewhere, that would sort of be proof positive.)

I think it's because MIDI music never sounded great on most older systems that only had synth support instead of wavetables, so the average person thinks of MIDI as being "bad", so when they hear generally bad music they assume it was done using some sort of MIDI.

So anyone using the term "MIDI" in such a way is either uneducated about the subject and is throwing lingo around to look smart, or are using the term as an insult, even though it technically isn't. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 10, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehe... and yet the same folks who hear music spooled from a PC game CD-ROM rave how great it sounds (most of the time); yet (at least, it used to be like this), almost ALL of PC game Redbook was MIDI composed and MIDI generated <grin> 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 5 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well MIDI is just the way how the music data is transferred, it says nothing how music is rendered from this data. So talking about 'MIDI music' is already wrong in itself.
I do not distinguish between ISA graphics and PCI graphics either...

What people mean is usually completely different. In most cases they think of music rendered by a consumer wavetable card using the general midi standard (instrument set with related samples)...
Ofcourse you hear the limitation, as you hear the limitation with OPL or SID sound compared to todays orchestral MP3 soundtracks.

To get somewhat realistic in this comparison again, lets reconsider the technical setting.
Due to cpu performance and storage limitation you got just the notes as midi file in dos games and had to bring your own synthesizer.
It is simply not compareable to todays standards and I think the early PC sound engines/solutions/composers did a damn good job.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 10, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are Adlib-only soundtracked games considered MIDI? Like those id games with the IMF files. I used to believe so but they're not, are they? Games with MIDI soundtracks can support Adlib, though. Which is where it's easy to confuse...

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 7 of 10, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote:

Are Adlib-only soundtracked games considered MIDI? Like those id games with the IMF files. I used to believe so but they're not, are they? Games with MIDI soundtracks can support Adlib, though. Which is where it's easy to confuse...

I would consider them MIDI (but not following the General MIDI specifications/guidelines, per-say). The reason: IMF/CMF/ROL/ADL formats etc... can all be directly converted to some form of MIDI file. The same with DOSBox's "DRO" raw OPL format that it can capture.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 8 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me MIDI means I can play it back with any software and hardware that conforms to the MIDI standard.

So for me if I can take the song and play it on a synth of my choice then I consider it MIDI.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

For me MIDI means I can play it back with any software and hardware that conforms to the MIDI standard.

So for me if I can take the song and play it on a synth of my choice then I consider it MIDI.

It was a very weird experience for me when I got some old DOS game MIDI files and played them back through the MIDI-out interface on my digital piano... especially since the polyphony on my digital piano is terrible. >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg