VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just wondering if any of you play music while tinkering with your pc...sometimes, you'll feel better when a background music is playing...

How about this? One of my favs : (put it in repeat mode for continuous loops)

Attachments

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like to listen to this internet radio station. Euro Dance or something like that 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

Just wondering if any of you play music while tinkering with your pc...sometimes, you'll feel better when a background music is playing...

How about this? One of my favs : (put it in repeat mode for continuous loops)

Same here. I'll either put 1 song in continuous loops or make a playlist in media Player which also loops all the songs. I can't stand not hearing anything around me I guess. When I don't hear music from my PC or radio, I'll still hear it in my head.

I listen to all kinds of music, impossible to give it one name. It depends a lot on my mood also.
And also, sometimes I'll hear a new song by chance and find myself listening to that same song for days!

However, if I'm working with only hardware, I tend to have the music in low volume as I want to hear sounds that might indicate a potential problem.

Reply 5 of 21, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Music is a big draw for me when gaming. Even if the game is terrible, if the music is good I may still play it. Or the opposite, if the game is good but the music is terrible I'll be more likely to stop playing it.

A great example of this is when I recently looked over FX Fighter. I love most of the music in that game but the gameplay is just... urg... x_x;

However, that's when gaming. When just tinkering on the computer or doing whatever, I prefer silence. For that reason, I don't even have an iPod or equivalent device.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

when I tinker and I have a working pc with internet access I usually listen to www.rockradio1.com ... 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 21, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You won't know how many times I've played Heart of China, Monkey Island 2 and Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis for the music. The elder scrolls do have nice tunes - especially the main theme. In Oblivion, I like the background music while traversing the countryland.

Reply 10 of 21, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to put quake 1 on for background noise when painting [as in pictures, not woodwork]. There was a time I knew every grunt and machine gun in the demo off by heart. I never used the music on the cd.

To be honest, I keep some of my old boxes operational just so I can fire up a game and leave it running to listen to the music, and maybe look at the colours and artwork. Not often to actually play.

Bit off topic, but the BEST music I ever had when playing quake 1 was when my daughter's Reader Rabbit cd was left in the drive by accident. Nothing quite like fighting chainsaw-and grenade-launcher-wielding ogres whilst someone sings operatically about cooking doughnuts or some such.

Reply 11 of 21, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah! Talk about leaving OTHER cds while playing Quake 1. I once left Warcraft II CD (Original DOS version) and forgotten about it. I felt disorientated while playing Quake when the Warcraft II music kicked in.

EDIT: Not just a bit off topic, but this thread has already gone WAY OFF topic! 🤣

Reply 12 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

Music is a big draw for me when gaming. Even if the game is terrible, if the music is good I may still play it.

And this is -exactly- why I played the original C&C campaign again! their audio cd's are great! I even extracted all of the audio and burned it on 2 cd's (yep, you need 2 cd's 😉 )

Same with Total Annihilation, it was the first orchestra music I liked to listen to.
Unreal 1 had some nice music, as did Unreal 2 (Severnaya falls 😀 and also Dune 2(000).
The Dune 2000 music is interesting as it actually sounds like a desert...can you hear that?? It's coming from over that hill! What could it be?...OMG WORM, RUUUUUN!! GET TO DA CHOPPA!! I MEAN OMNITOPTHA!!

Always loved when you were building your base and then heard "Worm sign", then frantically start looking for your harvester and are just in time to see it swallowed by that worm 😁

Reply 13 of 21, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Music when tinkering or building PCs is a must! Nothing makes time pass faster while lapping heatsinks or other such mind-numbing tasks. When I tinker with my PC, the music must match the stages of the project at hand, like on my current 4ghz socket 478 prescott project:

This is my prescott surging towards 4ghz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkmlujV-TvU

Then me putting a CM N620 custom mounted heatsink on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi66fs7xRoc&feature=fvst

And finally singing along at 4ghz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGC_k1S7ek&feature=related or

when I feel technoey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouBJTv_OqJA&feature=related

You gotta visualize all your work in terms of music, man.

Last edited by sgt76 on 2010-12-18, 20:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

for techno fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouBJTv_OqJA&feature=related

You gotta visualize all your work in terms of music, man.

Hehe looks like I'm a retro PC techno head 🤣

Love that kind of music...

Reply 16 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

Glad you like it.... I remember there was a super trance scene in Oz back when

No idea I only moved here ~6 years ago 🤣

Not so much into the duff duff stuff, I guess trance / dance is better describing it.

Reply 17 of 21, by AlienBZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was working on disassembling and reassembling a PC upstairs in my office several months ago, and the silence was was in itself music to my ears.

Reply 18 of 21, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends. When I play military games like Delta Force or Gunship 2000, Command & Conquer soundtrack is always my favorite. Otherwise, I'd rather listen to trance or ambient trance, depends on mood.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 19 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love game music, and I have always loved that UNATCO song (didn't even have to listen to your MP3 to remember the tune 😀 ).

These days I don't listen to music much though unless it's playing in a game. Sometimes I do at work to drown out the background noise, but I only have one DVD worth of music that I burned years ago so it's gotten a bit stale.