VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have read of a few 286 "upgrades" that were put out back in the early 90's. Some would upgrade your 286 PC to a 386...and there were even a couple that would upgrade your 286 to a blistering 486 processor!

I, personally, would like to someday acquire a "386" upgrade for my 286 (of course, a "pure" 386 is almost certainly better -- but the geek in me would nevertheless still like to own an "upgraded" 286!)

Do any of you VOGON'ers have a 286 system that has been transformed by one of these upgrades? (Cloudschatze...I see you smiling! 😁 ) I'd like to hear any of your experiences, knowledge , or opinions of such upgrades, and comments about the hardware involved!

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 1 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recall that Fujitsu sold "upgradeable" PCs. The main board had a special bus, and you inserted an "upgrade" card, so a 386PC could be upgraded to a 486PC.

Also, there were computers built around ISA "backplanes" (passive boards fitted with some ISA slots and no logic, memory or CPU in them), where CPU and memory were placed in ISA cards, and you could replace those ISA card to upgrade your tower.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have sent Amigaz a (IIRC) Kingston 286-to-386sx upgrade card... it just sits on top the 286 and it is a pcb with the 386sx cpu and extra glue logic
Maybe Amigaz sees the thread and reports 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 6, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

I have sent Amigaz a (IIRC) Kingston 286-to-386sx upgrade card... it just sits on top the 286 and it is a pcb with the 386sx cpu and extra glue logic

*Thread seen* but can't report (yet) I've been too lazy to test it in my IBM 5170 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 5 of 6, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

I think there is nary an exotic piece of hardware that has not at some time passed through the hands of "Mr. Amigaz"!!! 😁

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 6 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an original IBM AT that has an Evergreen 286-->486SLC2 upgrade. This is just about the fastest upgrade module available for 286. I think the only thing that could possibly be faster is a 486SLC3 upgrade.

IBM 486SLC series are chips are modified intel 386SX. They have the 486SX instruction set and 16kb of internal cache memory.

EvergreenIBM-Cyrix-286-upgrade-L.jpg

I also have another module made by "Buffalo" that uses TI486SXL, which has 8kb internal cache. It is also quite good. I have had better luck getting this one to cooperate with my DMA SCSI controller.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium