VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So Windows 95 and 98FE came in cdrom and floppy form (though the floppy form only contained the base files, not all of the extra media stuff).

I found this site (link: http://www.winhistory.de/more/386/win95floppy.htm and search for "Methode 3") which explains how you can use W95 cdrom edition to create your own set of W95 install floppies.
It's in German so you might want to use google translate if your german isn't in the best of shapes 😜

Even though it gives a nice walkthrough, imo it doesn't tell me very much what they are really doing.
For instance, they described 95B to be easier to put on floppies and 98 to have files that would need 2MB because of it's IE files.
The strange thing is, there actually was a 98FE floppy edition so it should be possible to create 98FE setup floppies.

Could anyone here tell me exactly how the setup floppies work?
All I can tell is this:
The 1st disk is basically a boot disk with some utils so you can format/fdisk a harddrive and possibly read the 1.68MB DMF floppies (I think).
Disk 2 contains the precopy files which iirc contain the setup program 'thingy' and all the other disks contain the data files.

Could anyone elaborate what the disks do exactly? I'm wanting to create setup disks myself mostly for historical purposes 😉

Edit: I did a little more searching and found a couple sites that describe the procedure in English.
Link: http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/forum/thread/28 … ion-floppy-dis/

It seems all the disks need a correct label for this to work. Is this correct?
What happens if the disk labels are different?
Also, I remember having once tried to modify the .cab files because I wanted to tweak the install cdrom. I burned the tweaked cdrom to disk, started the setup and it gave me an error that it couldn't open one of the precopy cab files. Apparently you can extract files from the MS cab files, but you can't recompress them?

Does anyone know of a program that can create the correct cab files so Windows setup works with the modified cab files?

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Also, I remember having once tried to modify the .cab files because I wanted to tweak the install cdrom. I burned the tweaked cdrom to disk, started the setup and it gave me an error that it couldn't open one of the precopy cab files.

There are several variations on the .cab file format. The Wikipedia article seems to have some good information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_%28file_format%29

What program did you use to modify the .cab files? Maybe makecab.exe would be worth a try?

Reply 2 of 3, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I honestly can't remember, I tried a couple years ago and ended up with a couple coasters.
It would be awesome if you can make setup use zip files instead, but I reckon that's not gonna happen.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

meh i just rar it all to 1.44mb pieces and transfer the setup entirely one disk at a time with the same floppy then self-extract using the DOS SFX module, then install Windows off the hard drive 😀 worked in my desperation cases with defective flaky ol cd-rom drives.

apsosig.png
long live PCem