Projects you never finished

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

I once had pretensions of getting Doom or Quake to use libcaca as the graphics library. Coloured text mode.

Not quite http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/ , then?

Reply 21 of 23, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah nice, I haven't read that page in ages, used to crack me up. I wondered if it could be taken into colour with http://caca.zoy.org/wiki/libcaca.

But really doing it was beyond me, so many things needed to be fiddled with in linux. I think I managed to get quake 1 and/or 2 working under linux one time, and I remember the under debian one of the doom clones debian used to default to textmode [aalib I guess] for prboom or lsdoom or similar. Unplayable of course but used to run it like a screensaver. May have got textmode quake running or almost running, not sure.

Come think of it, our local pc world had a retail version of quake 1 for linux iirc. Long time ago ofc, must be 10-15 years back.

Reply 22 of 23, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now that my Megazeux episode of Ancient DOS Games is up I can talk about my unfinished game projects, many of which stem from Megazeux.

Battlesuits (MZX) - Unfinished because a hard drive crash destroyed the last half of the game (9 months worth of work) and I really didn't want to have to make all that over again.

Treasure Hunt IV (MZX) - This platforming game was going to have about 60 levels and it took 5 days to make just one... discouraged I decided to move on to more interesting ideas.

ASCII Robowars 3D (MZX) - Another Megazeux game I didn't finish because it was late in my Megazeuxing days when I started this and my interest had begun to shift primarily towards C++ programming.

CGA Solar Warriors - This was going to be my next C++ game after PixelShips, but halfway through making it I ran into a fundamental design problem that would require me to rewrite 8000 lines of code (almost the entire code base), so I switched to a project that I felt I could do MUCH faster. (Super Minesweeper actually, got it done in 2 1/2 months!)

Retro Wizard - While making what was going to be a 4-game pack of 160x240 resolution games, I had nearly finished PixelShips Retro and questioned the logic of holding onto a finished game for months on end to do the other games, so I instead decided to just make PixelShips Retro a stand-alone game.

Space Fortress 2 - The game engine itself is actually fairly complete, but the amount of GUI programming necessary to make the non-gameplay parts work is exteme and at the time I had got a lousy call centre job which cut into 98% of my programming hours, so what would've taken another four or five months to finish suddenly became a four to five YEAR prospect. I'm still debating whether to continue work on this game or not, but with ADG sucking up most of my time it would probably take a year to finish it, and I'd rather get something made sooner. (Not to mention this game is not hardware accelerated and runs a measily 640x480.) The last time I worked on this was August of 2009.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg