VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I posted an interview with GOG.com on http://www.dosbox.com
It turned out pretty nice if I may say so.

Last edited by Qbix on 2011-01-10, 14:24. Edited 2 times in total.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 1 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like how GOG.com is mandatorily colored at every instance

- 3dfx glide support (power vr as well)

Interesting request. There's very few PowerVR dos games in existence (Tomb Raider, Scorched Planet and Tomb Raider, i think Scorched Planet as well. I might have forgotten Tomb Raider. Did I mention Scorched Planet?)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

it's a nice interview, makes me like the gog people. The requests are interesting and funny.
Windows 3.1 emulation/support ... probably meant as being able to play those games right away without needing to install Windows 3.1 in Dosbox... that would be quite a feat and make Dosbox huge... codewise...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 17, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

more sound cards emulation (like sb awe 32)

AFAIK this would require ROMs with SoundFonts - maybe GOG.com could negotiate with Creative to include them in DOSBox 😉

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 4 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good interview. IMO GOG should worry about adding a lot more games to their library. Games from Origin and a ton of Sierra adventures for starters. Also DOSBox versions of Lucasarts adventures would be nice.

I would be especially interested in larger packages or bundles. Like a collection that has all the old Sierra games...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 17, by madcrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GL1zdA wrote:

AFAIK this would require ROMs with SoundFonts - maybe GOG.com could negotiate with Creative to include them in DOSBox 😉

Not really. It would just require a way of loading Soundfonts, similar to the way that we emulate GUS hardware but don't include any patches.

Reply 6 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure why the demand for AWE support, as General MIDI already works just fine. Sure the MS GS MIDI synth isn't the best but at least it "just works" and sounds ok.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GL1zdA wrote:

I'm sure Creative would be interested in that, but only on the condition that they be allowed to buy GOG.com and make it a subsidiary of Creative.

Like others in this thread, though, I'm not sure what exactly AWE32 emulation would bring to the table. On the other hand, it should be noted that AWE32 was mentioned only as one example of a more general point ("more sound cards emulation").

Reply 8 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some games used it for higher quality sound, like Eradicator

I'd think Fluidsynth could be hooked into dosbox to handle the Awe32 - it almost sounds like it when you pair it with 1gmt.sf2, save for the emu8k weird echo reverb.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'd think Fluidsynth could be hooked into dosbox to handle the Awe32 - it almost sounds like it when you pair it with 1gmt.sf2, save for the emu8k weird echo reverb.

I've been a big advocate of adding Fluidsynth to Dosbox but found that Fluidsynth adds way too many dependencies to Dosbox (flac gettext glib2 jack libiconv libogg libsndfile libvorbis ncurses readline (and those are only the main ones, some of those add dependencies of their own). A release with this would be huge and troublesome. Unfortunately...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like unnecessary dependencies. A fluid-lite version then?

foo_midi for Foobar2000 has fluidsynth integrated (as well as munt and emu de midi) and it's only 356kb compressed

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yes, most are optional. Glib2 isn't and while you can probably just link to a dll on Windows it will be different on OS X. But oh well, it's for the devs to decide anyway...

Reply 12 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't DOSBox already use flac and/or vorbis for CD audio tracks?

I believe ScummVM has fluidsynth and munt as well, but it's rather large.

Edit: I'm surprised wd hasn't said "no" yet. He must be busy with other things at the moment.

Reply 13 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, ScummVM is about 10 MB big these days. The Readme also mentions that Fluidsynth may stress the CPU quite a bit. With Dosbox' already stressing the CPU a bit...

Reply 14 of 17, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out now.

I finally created a GoG.com account yeasterday, wanted to get the Kingmaker Premium Module for NWN but it was no longer available.

I checked with my local Fry's where I had purchased a copy fo the Diamond Edition for my father last year and they were out.

There were two copies on the shelf so I kick myself for not picking up the second copy too, that will learn me 😉

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 15 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

Yes, ScummVM is about 10 MB big these days. The Readme also mentions that Fluidsynth may stress the CPU quite a bit. With Dosbox' already stressing the CPU a bit...

Depends on the CPU. Affordable computers are now reaching the point where I think many could run Fluidsynth alongside DOSBox (especially if they can run in separate threads) in all but the most demanding games (many of which don't use MIDI music anyways).

Reply 16 of 17, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Good interview. IMO GOG should worry about adding a lot more games to their library. Games from Origin and a ton of Sierra adventures for starters. Also DOSBox versions of Lucasarts adventures would be nice.

I would be especially interested in larger packages or bundles. Like a collection that has all the old Sierra games...

Actually, LucasArts did something like this themselves a few years ago - a bundle of The Dig, Full Throttle, Sam & Max and Grim Fandango. The first three all ran via a custom Scummvm executable.

The data files were all still there though, so you can extract them and play those three on a normal Scummvm release.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 17 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
megatron-uk wrote:

The data files were all still there though, so you can extract them and play those three on a normal Scummvm release.

Ah I didn't try ScymmVM only checked and found that I couldn't run it in DOSBox.

When I heard the music in Fate of Atlantis I immediately stopped playing. Sounded like some internal MIDI emulation.