VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One day, this HP-manufactured XP Pro laptop was running fine. The next day, it was just dead. Wouldn't power on at all. No lights, nothing. I tried an alternate power brick (that I knew was working), and still nothing...so it's not the (external) power supply cable/brick. I also tried "wiggling" the plug where it fits into the back of the laptop, in case the little metal internal connecting rod had somehow become loose or broken -- and still no results (although, I guess it could still be broken so bad that the old "wiggling" trick just won't work).

I have been debating whether to take this machine to a local computer "fix it" business, but I also realize that they will probably charge me close to the same price that I could buy another "used" working laptop.

Sooooo...I'm wondering if anyone has any "troubleshooting" ideas or procedures that I could try on this machine -- instead of just tossing it into the garbage?

Here is a link to a short article giving the laptop's specs: http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/hp_l2000_l … top_review.html

l2000.jpg

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 3 of 6, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

And the battery is charged and okay?

HP seems to provide the service manual online:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00501998.pdf
Schematics are missing though.

Compare your model though to make sure it is the right one.

It has troubleshooting flowcharts. Start with PDF page 34...

What are your tools and capabilities?

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 6, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:
And the battery is charged and okay? […]
Show full quote

And the battery is charged and okay?

HP seems to provide the service manual online:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00501998.pdf
Schematics are missing though.

Compare your model though to make sure it is the right one.

It has troubleshooting flowcharts. Start with PDF page 34...

What are your tools and capabilities?

Thanks for the link to the service manual -- I didn't know that was available! 😊 I can't say for certain that the battery is charged or fully functional, as this laptop was a gift from a relative (who had no problems with it, apparently), and the unit had not received a lot of use from me prior to its malfunction. Would the battery be required to be functional, even if removed and the laptop hooked up to cable power only?

My tools consist mainly of a run-of-the-mill "PC Repair Kit" in a leatherette zippered portfolio like they used to sell at Walmart or Radio Shack, with about 50 or so of the most commonly needed PC repair tools (solder set, chip pullers, etc). I'm from a non-technical background for the most part, so my capabilities are not too good. I solder...but poorly (I guess I need to brush up on it by watching some YouTube vids or something). I'm good at following directions, I guess that's one of my few assets.

Reply 5 of 6, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Multimeter? Very important - even a cheap one will do for a start.

The hope would have been with the battery known good and the laptop switching on the issue could be isolated to a certain area.

In the service manual, in the flowcharts they talk about 'resetting power' - involves power and/or lid switch - I didnt read how exactly it works but it sounds like it would be a useful thing to try.

A second step would be to remove anything that can be removed comfortably and try if it powers on, like on a desktop PC. If that doesn't work, open it up even more and look for burnt parts (make photos maybe) and check recognizable fuses. Further steps would require the schematic.

1+1=10

Reply 6 of 6, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

h-a-l:
Thanks for the additional troubleshooting steps -- I don't believe I have a multimeter in my kit, so it looks like a trip to Radio Shack is in order. Hopefully I can delve into this thing in the coming weeks (I'd dig in sooner, but my father is currently in the hospital with some serious issues pending an upcoming surgery...and I'm doing "nurse" duty, of sorts, in addition to my regular schedule).

I appreciate the info, and I'll update this thread when I make some progress into some of the areas you mentioned.

😀