VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AustinRover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gravis UltraSound Rev 2.4 ISA Sound Card
Upgraded from original 256Kb to 1Mb.
Fully boxed with all driver disks, manuals etc.
Quite a rarity these days.
Selling as I'm just not using my 486 retro PC much. Tried to transfer it to
a newer PC, but didn't have enough free IRQs and DMA channels, so:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … em=150556381612

Reply 2 of 4, by AustinRover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is with the size and weight of it 🙁 At just under 1.5Kg in the original box, or just under 2Kg if shipped inside another box, it's expensive to send overseas by airmail.

There is a possibility that I can send it using a service called "Airmail Small Packets". As the name suggests, it's intended for small packets. I interpet that to mean things no bigger than a typical jiffy bag (bubble envelope, A4/foolscap size), but it does allow for weights up to a maximum of 2Kg.

It doesn't specify the limits for dimensions on the website, so I will check at the post office tomorrow as to whether a box this big can be sent using this service. If so, it's an air mail service, so quite fast, and the cost to the USA would be £25.54 which is slightly better. I will post back here whether this is possible.

The other option is Surface Mail, but it says the delivery time is "from 56 days", so I think they must send it via donkey post or something! The cost is £18.72 for the USA if you didn't mind the wait.

Reply 4 of 4, by AustinRover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've checked with the post office and you CAN use the small packets services. Apparently a small packet is anything up to 1.5 meters length and 3m circumferance, which sounds likely a bluddy crate to me!

So the prices using "small packets" services are as follows:

Shipped inside original box wrapped in brown paper (1.5Kg):

USA
£19.77 Airmail small packets (from 5 days)
£24.97 Airmail small packets signed for (from 5 days)
£11.82 Surface mail (from 56 days)
£17.02 Surface mail signed for (from 56 days)

Germany
£10.56 Airmail small packets (from 3 days)
£15.75 Airmail small packets signed for (from 3 days)
£11.83 Surface mail (from 14 days)
£15.26 Surface mail signed for (from 14 days)
£17.37 DHL Road Freight (from 2 days)

Shipped inside another box to protect original packaging (2Kg):

USA
£25.54 Airmail small packets (from 5 days)
£30.74 Airmail small packets signed for (from 5 days)
£14.89 Surface mail (from 56 days)
£20.08 Surface mail signed for (from 56 days)

Germany
£13.18 Airmail small packets (from 3 days)
£18.38 Airmail small packets signed for (from 3 days)
£14.89 Surface mail (from 14 days)
£20.08 Surface mail signed for (from 14 days)

These services all include £41 insurance - it costs extra for additional compensation.

eBay demands that sellers use a signed for and trackable service, which some of the options above are not. As postage is prohibitively expensive otherwise, I will use some of these cheaper options (with or without additional insurance), depending on which the buyer prefers. But if the buyer chooses an option without full insurance or without "signed for", they must understand they do so at their own risk.