VOGONS

Common searches

VOGONS is no marketplace!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 60 of 73, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

I can understand leaving because of the cheaters but because shouting was autocorrected or too large signatures? Wow...
Btw, too large or very annoying signatures have been corrected here, too. And I wouldn't mind having shouted subjects corrected to normal volume...
And about the avatars, I don't care about that at all, ultimately it's not my problem, i just wanted to give a warning of this before a copyright owner comes and sues (they rarely complain, especially the bigger the company is). Just to make people aware of this and then let them decide they don't care.

Ok, thanks for understanding! I really wouldn't want Vogons to go this same route.
The thing about that clanforum is, it got progressively worse in the last year or so.

About the all caps thing, as the members on that forum were all of the upper mature-type anyway, it seemed like a totally childish thing to do anyway, and totally unnecessary.

Before I say the following, I'd like to clarify I understand the rules regarding the WTS threads perfectly;
I just wanted to point out 2 things (to all members, not just the admins):

-The number of WTS threads did grow rapidly in the last few months so I can understand this was a bad thing. Personally, even though I have no problems on a personal level regarding people wanting to sell stuff, I do have to admit that the rapid growth of the sheer number of these threads was beginning to bother me also (no harm intended at anyone who started one such thread recently! I still love you! ;D ).

-There is of course the urge, on a forum with people like us, to share a common interest. Since I've become a member here (roughly a year ago...god it feels more like 3 or 4 years 🤣!) I've had the pleasure of having gotten a motherboard for free + shipping here, which I would've never gotten had it not been for Vogons.
I've also received a whole box full of goodies from another!
When "veteran" members here, who've known eachother for a long time via these forums, want to share retro items with eachother, one way is ofcourse the now dreaded WTS thread. This has the advantage that everyone gets a fair chance of receiving an item.
But the drawback is obvious and significant.

While it may be a nice way to bond with other members here (gah, I feel like a psychologist now!), this forum is visited by random people here also who never post nor register.
Changing the way these forums are 'done' will also change the types of people who will think "Hey, so I can do this here too!" which will inevitably result in changes to the basic idea of the forums (which the old garde will probably dislike the most).

So while I'd prefer to have us oldies (and I'm counting myself as one of them) being able to also include the trading as part of our being here, the drawback of this particular activity is of course the unwanted attention!

And guys, you never know *this is intended as a message to the non-admins*, theres always a chance that in, say, half a year or so, something changes and one or several of the admins chooses to implement an idea that pleases all of us 😀 (except those sellers none of us want of course hehe 😉 ).

You can never know, just give it some time. As for now, I think the route our admins have chose to go is the better of the 2. We already have Egay ( 😜 ) and some other forums.

Thanks!

Reply 61 of 73, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, I do have an idea, but didn't bother to post it because it may sound wrong or something.

Some forums have a hidden part which is totally undocumented and you can only gain access by asking an admin or by getting invited.
If we had an invisible section where only us vets could hang out and trade stuff, it would definitely scare away the quicksellers and because there would be firm control over who has access or not, it would practically become self monitoring.
One other forum I know (won't disclose name as I'm unsure if it's supposed to be common knowledge or not) has such a hidden section and only known people could gain access to it.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 62 of 73, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
Actually, I do have an idea, but didn't bother to post it because it may sound wrong or something. […]
Show full quote

Actually, I do have an idea, but didn't bother to post it because it may sound wrong or something.

Some forums have a hidden part which is totally undocumented and you can only gain access by asking an admin or by getting invited.
If we had an invisible section where only us vets could hang out and trade stuff, it would definitely scare away the quicksellers and because there would be firm control over who has access or not, it would practically become self monitoring.
One other forum I know (won't disclose name as I'm unsure if it's supposed to be common knowledge or not) has such a hidden section and only known people could gain access to it.

It doesn't take that much to setup a phpBB board. It needn't take much webspace or bandwidth. It could be quite affordable and you could do whatever you wanted or take whatever risks you wish.

Reply 64 of 73, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cdoublejj wrote:

did no body seem my post? we could make a separate board and like link it in our signatures, it could even bee run of free web hosting.

We saw your post. But then, we also saw that you like Windows 7. 😦

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 68 of 73, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If anyone of us would like to trade, theres always www.vintage-computer.com, right?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 69 of 73, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

If anyone of us would like to trade, theres always www.vintage-computer.com, right?

There's LOTS of options and ways to "get the word out" without violating the VOGONS policy stated. Everybody just needs to use their brains, and things will work out just fine.

Cheers! 😁

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 71 of 73, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added a thread with link to retro marketplaces. I wanted to sell a Siemens/Nixdorf 4H/PCI and a Canon Navigator (and some other things) and I counted on using this forum.

Maybe this will be helpful for those people that don't know where to sell retro PCs. Feel free to collaborate / update / comment / whatever.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!