VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are games nowadays following the path of hollywood style movies? I mean regarding the sexual contents. Any hollywood movie now, will almost always include a female nudity or such other scenes that compromise the dignity of women. Is it really necessary in games too?

Anyone played Fahrenheit @ Indigo Prophecy? There is a love making scene towards the end, which for me, is not necessary for such a seriously intense movie subject. I see no point in incliuding such scenes, other than to make the games (or movies) sell.

Other games that come to mind are the God of War series. Nice atmosphere. But unwanted distractions with certain scenes.

It does not matter in games like the Leisure Suit Larry series, where the theme is different and fit to the situation.

I heard Heavy Rain (by Fahrenheit creators) includes even more steamy scenes. (I hope no one rushes out to buy it after knowing this.. heheheh ).

What's the point? It's the decision to include these scenes to boost sales, is degrading a good gaming experience.

For those who can't get enough kick from the Larry series can get the many adult-only games. Or just watch "the movies".

I may be of the minority here, and though I like boobs, (just like all the guys here 😁), I just don't like the exploitation of women, for money or otherwise, in games or movies or whatever.

Do you think good games (non-sexual themed) warrant unwanted nudity and sexual contents?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 2 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the pixels were always there. They only got more detailed 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 34, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

Do you think good games (non-sexual themed) warrant unwanted nudity and sexual contents?

An interesting experiment is trying to attempt it in the FPS genre. In one game, we have the most provocatively dressed player in FPS history... but to male players she barely distracts from the action at all especially due to the pacing of the game itself! The funny thing is, female players aren't even offended by it either since they know it's a game and it even gets used by them even more than the tasteful characters.

So far I've only got one offended person call me out on it - a christian LAN party manager.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 34, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sexual contents in sex oriented games are understandable. It's the corporate mentality of "make sure we have babes showing off in our games, as much as possible, so that people will get them" stuff. Do you want games to be spread with occassional and sometimes overt exposure of female body, in a game, to make sure the game sell well? I thought only the early teens get excited by these stuff in video games. 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 34, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look at Tomb Raider, that game is about 15 years old now. Despite being IMHO a rather simplistic, boring game, it sold like hot cakes. When the sequel came around she suddenly had a growth spurt localised to certain parts of her anatomy 😜

I often wonder if the game would have done so well if it had featured a male protagonist with a large bulge in his pants 🤣

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 7 of 34, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

Look at Tomb Raider [...] When the sequel came around she suddenly had a growth spurt localised to certain parts of her anatomy 😜

Rather had them rounded down a good bit. I wouldn't want to get one of these in my eye. I bet you can poke out eyes with those.

On the other hand ... why does no one complain about Leon Kennedy of the Resident Evil series? That guy is a f'ing stylized videogame brad pitt! Long story short, most games which actually exploit female characters (to my judgement) are targeted at being adult only/xxx style games (which are mostly stupid anyways). Haven't seen anything like that in mainstream games yet.

Reply 8 of 34, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll just respond to two quotes at the same time.

TheMAN wrote:

well duke nukem always had babes in it 😜

DonutKing wrote:

I often wonder if the game would have done so well if it had featured a male protagonist with a large bulge in his pants 🤣

We may yet find out with Duke Nukem Forever. I don't recall seeing babes in DN1 or DN2. However I do recall Duke collecting balloons and watching Oprah. Then by DN3D he's forgotten those things and replaced them with a habit for steroids. Funny, I was always told they had the opposite effect concerning how his pants would fit.

Malik wrote:

Do you want games to be spread with occassional and sometimes overt exposure of female body, in a game, to make sure the game sell well?

I'd prefer to play a game with a good story, or at the least is fun and makes me feel that I've accomplished something within it. Provocative content seems more like a supplement to a game where the developers realize it isn't going to hold the players attention for long so they need to do all they can to get your attention in the first place.

As a side note my favorite game Planescape: Torment. It does have a sizable amount of barely dressed women. However the first thing the player notices is the immersive story, and second that the combat is rather boring. What passes for fashion actually fits in the setting. Plus there's a theme of characters being opposite to their nature and a succubus wears more than some authority figures.

Reply 9 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sex sells!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 34, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We may yet find out with Duke Nukem Forever. I don't recall seeing babes in DN1 or DN2. However I do recall Duke collecting balloons and watching Oprah. Then by DN3D he's forgotten those things and replaced them with a habit for steroids. Funny, I was always told they had the opposite effect concerning how his pants would fit.

Yes, when I was younger I absolutely loved Duke 1 and 2 (part of the reason for my the avatar 😀 ) and in DN3D the series took such a dramatic turn... it was much darker and profane, definitely a more adult game. I wonder if the game would be as fondly remembered if it wasn't for the nudity and cheesy one-liners ripped off from Bruce Campbell....
I'd like to think it would have still sold on its merits as a good game but there are a lot of people who aren't even aware of the existence of duke 1 and 2.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 14 of 34, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

I wonder if the game would be as fondly remembered if it wasn't for the nudity and cheesy one-liners ripped off from Bruce Campbell....

It still amazes me that people think "I'm here to kick @$$ and chew bublegum" is a uniquely Duke phrase and have absolutely no knowledge of Roddy Piper's line in They Live (1988).

Reply 15 of 34, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the sheer amount of media from which to quote/plagiarise/whatever, I don't think that's surprising. Blizzard are masters of that though, WoW for example is chock-full of references and quotes from elsewhere, thinly-disguised cameo appearances, in-jokes etc.

Where does "hail to the king baby" originate though, I used to think it was elvis 🤣.

[Irrelevant aside but someone mentioned Bruce Campbell - loved his cameo in Spiderman 3.]

Reply 16 of 34, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

I wonder if the game would be as fondly remembered if it wasn't for the nudity and cheesy one-liners ripped off from Bruce Campbell....

It still amazes me that people think "I'm here to kick @$$ and chew bublegum" is a uniquely Duke phrase and have absolutely no knowledge of Roddy Piper's line in They Live (1988).

I have actually seen that movie last year 😀 pretty strange/cool/weird but ultimately good movie 😀

Reply 17 of 34, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

Where does "hail to the king baby" originate though, I used to think it was elvis 🤣.

It was used in Army of Darkness (aka Evil Dead 3)

A lot of Duke's lines are from the Evil Dead series of movies.

DonutKing: you are of course talking about the first three games in that series named Duke Nukum/Nukem and then Duke Nukem 2

Yes that is correct 😉 The side scrolling shooting platformers.

Reply 18 of 34, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sierra's Phantasmagoria has a rape scene. But you can choose to not view it, and it is NOT gratuitous (to me, anyway.)

For those who never played it, Phantasmagoria was a thriller/horror adventure game. Very similar in mechanics to Sierra's classic adventure games, only with fully 3D-rendered CG backgrounds, and full-motion-video characters overlaid on top, rather than the strict 2D painted backgrounds and characters of their other adventure games.

Apparently Roberta Williams (co-founder of Sierra, and writer of the Kings Quest series, among others,) considered it her finest work.

Reply 19 of 34, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

It was used in Army of Darkness (aka Evil Dead 3)

A lot of Duke's lines are from the Evil Dead series of movies.

Ah I saw Evil Dead when it was on first release, same with #2, for a long time they were some of my most favourite films. Maybe that's why duke nukem seemed so natural. I only saw #3 quite recently, and yes I noticed the "hail to the king baby" but thought maybe it came from elsewhere 🤣.