VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When shopping for used games I generally go to Amazon or Ebay. Though frequently I find the provided descriptions lacking for my needs. I've realized that I have a few quirks when it comes to my collecting habits.

1) Completing the package - along with the game I like to get the box, manual, and any other embellishments that it originally came with. Also checking that they are in the best condition. I hate stickers on boxes.

Even when it comes to an advertisement or warranty card. I may not worry about it if an item didn't come with them but I do favor the listings that include them.

I find it especially annoying when the item is just a disc in paper envelope. This tells me the seller gives so little thought to a game that they can't even protect it in a jewel case.

2) Both versions - If a game was released on 3.5" disk and CD I try to get both formats. Some examples: Hexen, Isle Of The Dead, Mantis, Space Hulk, and Star Crusader.

I also try to get both versions if a game has separate DOS and Windows releases like Master Of Orion 2. Or if the same game had multiple titles: Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage, Overlord/Supremacy - Your Will Be Done, some of the Catacomb games.

3) Oddly, this doesn't carry over to modern games. I still prefer a box and manual but I'm often content to ignore the limited edition of a package. After getting a collected series of a game with the expansions I no longer look for the individual titles despite the better packaging when they were separate.

Reply 1 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am defiantly not that anal when it comes to games.

HOWEVER, if I were to identify a stigma that I have, I would have to say that when building a computer system, I HAVE to have the absolute best that I can put into that socket/slot/etc.

i.e. I'm looking for a 550mhz k6-3+. and the only reason why, is that it was the absolute best for socket 7. etc. I lucked out with my 386 build and found everything for a relative cheap price, but sometimes i'm not so lucky. 🙁

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do like games complete with box. I prefer the original game in a box on a cdrom even if the game can be downloaded for free! 😜
Though usually I don't bother getting different versions (I usually go for the most complete package) but there are exceptions.
I LOVE the old fashioned BIG cardboard boxes that were filled with 5% content and 95% air. Dunno why, it just "looks" better to me then one of those jewel cases with a PDF as a manual.

I don't mind stickers on a package, to me it's just part of the history of the piece in question.

Otoh like luckybob I try to get the fastest xyz for any given socket, or something that comes close when the top thingy is either unavailable or too expensive (I don't care THAT much! 😜) for my taste.

Luckily I've managed to find many of the fastest cpu's/graphics cards etc for any given socket...or should I say, generation of hardware.

And I also like to collect at least 3 examples, but I prefer to have 5 so loosing 2 doesn't really hurt.
And it's not always the fastest I want, but the different and non-standard. Like I decided to get a couple K6-2+'s even though I already have plenty of the K6-III+/400 ATZ, easilly overclocked to 550Mhz at the least 😉
I just wanted a K6-2+ also.
Same goes for the Cyrix M2. I know they supposedly suck, but for some reason I wanted a couple. Maybe a 300Mhz Cyrix M2 is about as good in games as a 200Mhz Pentium? And if that is the case, it's Windows performance is bound to be much better then a P1-200...or at least that's what I think.

That thing for collecting odd hardware things is also visible in other things I collect. I never made it a secret that I like some of the old storage media (ZIP, LS-120), but my favorite is definitely the PC 2.88MB Extra High Density floppy drive. I just LOVE!!! those things! So yes, that's pretty strange in many people's views I guess. But I don't care, as long as I'm happy with what I do ;D

I'm a packrat 🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 8, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have only one rule really when it comes to collecting stuff: It has to be stuff I'll want to play.

My game collection is what I like to call a "functional" collection, because with the exception of maybe four or five games, I'd be willing to play any of them. If I buy something and it turns out I don't want it, I replace it by whatever means are necessary.

If my collection were to include every single game I want, it would only actually be about 800 games big, across over a dozen consoles, including the PC.

I'm only counting commercial stuff of course. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 8, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh man! I think to be here in the first place you have to have some sort of odd hoarding disorder. For me, it's collecting hardware- and it has to be in multiples too for backup, like 3 s370 boards, 6 slot 1 chips, etc at a time.

And cases- I love cases! Only my wife's grublings about the space taken up by them have stopped me from collecting more.

And oh yeah, each rig I build has to be period correct- so no mish mash s370 hotrods and such for me 😜

Reply 6 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Does hoarding zip files of obscure shareware games count?

And by obscure, I don't mean Apogee, Epic, Moraff, Id, and Soleau, kids...

Soleau, almost forgotten about those hehe! 😁

And I say "Yes!" for collecting all kinds of files, like patches, maps, programs (in several different versions), drivers, whole OS's, and lots 'n lots of info!

And yes, I also typically collect stuff I intend to use...sooner or later 😜

Fun thread! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 8, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I try to get all games in their first release version. I hate re-releases, "classic" cover remakes and so on. But it's also a space and money issue, so I have a large amount of simple CD/DVD-case releases.

And I just have to buy every single Diablo1 game version that I don't have yet. Different re-releases, versions from US, UK and other countries and also those lame cheat CDs, "addons", guidebooks...you name it.

I'm also a huge sucker for collector's editions of modern games. Not those lame "free DLC code inside" ones, but CEs like the ones Blizzard puts out for their games, or the Duke4ever Balls of Steel box.

As for hardware, it's not that bad. I try to build classic PCs with historically accurate hardware or fitting to a specific theme I've set for the rig. I don't like mashing parts together without a concept. Even though it would most certainly work and save a lot of time and money in the process. But hey, where's the fun in that.

::42::