VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need to do an entire case shell as close as possible to the texture and colour of the morrowind menu screen background. How would I most easily achieve this, being that i'm quite a novice sprayer but not unconfident, and I don't own an airbrush.

Check pic here if you don't know what the texture I am talking about looks like...

I really need some advice, as I don't know any sprayers what so ever. 🙄 http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http:// … ved=0CEgQ9QEwBQ

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 1 of 6, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about painting the case black or whatever the most appropriate solid color, then finding a high-res image and getting it printed on vinyl sheeting (like they do for ads on cars and buses and such)? It'd probably be a hell of a lot easier than painting.

Reply 2 of 6, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

What about painting the case black or whatever the most appropriate solid color, then finding a high-res image and getting it printed on vinyl sheeting (like they do for ads on cars and buses and such)? It'd probably be a hell of a lot easier than painting.

This. I can't think of any other way you're going to get the finish you want.

The effect you're going for is a really complicated texture. The "grain" doesn't just go horizontally or vertically, it goes in both directions. You would have to use multiple shades of the same basic color and mask in between each spray, or maybe you could get away with using a 3 dimensional base and just painting over it (but the same problem, the base isn't just in one direction, and in this case you would want it to be uneven). In a nutshell, if all you're using is paint, the effect you're going for is nearly impossible to replicate. At least in my novice opinion.

What you might also want to consider is tracking down some faux wood-grain laminate and laminating the entire case in it. It's not going to look like aged paper, but it would look old, and might be close enough to what you're going for. The seams are going to be a royal pain though. Or you could see if you can't track down some large sheets of brown paper (like the stuff they make bags out of) and hitting it with some fire to singe it. Glue it to the surface and cover it with clear polyurethane. Try that one on a small scale first before you do it to a case though. I have no idea how it would look in practice.

Reply 3 of 6, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or you could see if you can't track down some large sheets of brown paper (like the stuff they make bags out of) and hitting it with some fire to singe it. Glue it to the surface and cover it with clear polyurethane. Try that one on a small scale first before you do it to a case though. I have no idea how it would look in practice.

That might not be a bad idea... the only problem there is that afterwards I need to get a stencil of "MORROWIND" on the sides of the case...

But I have something to work with.

Thanks

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 4 of 6, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Iris030380 wrote:
That might not be a bad idea... the only problem there is that afterwards I need to get a stencil of "MORROWIND" on the sides of […]
Show full quote

Or you could see if you can't track down some large sheets of brown paper (like the stuff they make bags out of) and hitting it with some fire to singe it. Glue it to the surface and cover it with clear polyurethane. Try that one on a small scale first before you do it to a case though. I have no idea how it would look in practice.

That might not be a bad idea... the only problem there is that afterwards I need to get a stencil of "MORROWIND" on the sides of the case...

But I have something to work with.

Thanks

The Morrowind part is the easiest part though. The paper texture was the most difficult to replicate. You might have trouble if the case has a lot of curves or sharp edges. I'm half tempted to try this myself now just to see if I can do it, but I prefer red boxes. Speaking of sharp edges, if you're cutting any windows or fan holes, I recommend you do that first. Last time I cut something with paper on it, my Dremel caught the paper on fire (but the paper wasn't actually important).

I also recommend that if your small scale test proves fruitful that you seal it before you stencil it. You could get uneven paint absorbtion stenciling over paper. Then if you want to seal it again, you will need to find a sealer that is compatible with acrylic spray paint (or enamel if that's your preference), but two coats of paint should be enough to do it if you don't plan on scratching it 😀.

Also, have some nice extra strength solvent handy in case this goes pear shaped and you have to clean it all off and start again.

Reply 6 of 6, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ps: ive another idea print out the texture glue it to your case then varnish over it
or you could get it printed on adhesive vinyl (not cheap i suppose)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness