VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm testing Windows 3.11 (wfwg), with an old SoundBlaster card. I want to download any old game demo that was written for Windows 3, which has some "multimedia" video in it. Can someone please recommend any game title that matches this criteria, so that I can search for a demo of it online? Thanks a lot.

Reply 2 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think bad mojo had a demo

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 10, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What exactly do you mean by '"multimedia" video'?

Zombie Wars has video, but I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.

I would also recommend Operation; Inner Space, but I don't think it has what qualifies as video (if you mean what I think you mean).

Reply 4 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AdamP wrote:

Like you click something... and WOW 320x240 MS VIDEO 1 VIDEO IN THE CENTER OF YOUR SCREEN!! THE FUTURE OF ENTA TAINMANT

but free to try and obtainable. 1994-1996 is full of this.

Reply 5 of 10, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Civ 2 had multimedia movies - high council, animated heralds, intro movie - and runs on win 3.1. Need to install Indeo and WinG

Not sure about a demo, but seriously 🤣 at anybody who doesn't own every Civ game already.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 10, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Civ 2 was the best turn based RTS I owned and I loved the multimedia features, so I would agree that this would be good to try.

DonutKing wrote:

Civ 2 had multimedia movies - high council, animated heralds, intro movie - and runs on win 3.1. Need to install Indeo and WinG

Not sure about a demo, but seriously 🤣 at anybody who doesn't own every Civ game already.

I very strongly disagree with you right there. I own every Civ game except for civ 5 and that's because I regret trying Civ 4 (not really sure where I put the disc). Honestly Civ 3 seems to have been the last really good one they made for gameplay (yes it's my opinion but you are entitled to it). Maybe I just hold them up to the standard they created with the first several games.
EDIT: I intended a little more humor in there, but it's hard to convey in text form 😖 (so just to clear it up, no offence was intended).

Reply 7 of 10, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:
AdamP wrote:

Like you click something... and WOW 320x240 MS VIDEO 1 VIDEO IN THE CENTER OF YOUR SCREEN!! THE FUTURE OF ENTA TAINMANT

but free to try and obtainable. 1994-1996 is full of this.

Bwahahaha.

I may be the only one here, but I loved FMV games back in the day. I was like "wow, look at those graphics!" Sadly, I should have been saying "wow, where's the gameplay."

Reply 9 of 10, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I very strongly disagree with you right there. I own every Civ game except for civ 5 and that's because I regret trying Civ 4 (not really sure where I put the disc). Honestly Civ 3 seems to have been the last really good one they made for gameplay (yes it's my opinion but you are entitled to it). Maybe I just hold them up to the standard they created with the first several games.
EDIT: I intended a little more humor in there, but it's hard to convey in text form S-Face (so just to clear it up, no offence was intended).

It's cool I was just taking the piss 😀

Civ 2 is my favourite as well, Civ 1 was awesome back in the day but there's just too many bugs and technical limitations to make it worthwhile... Civ 3 was pretty good too, Civ 4 wasn't too bad although it does tend to drag on a lot longer than other games in the franchise. I think I played one game of Civ 5 and never bothered to pick it up again 😒

After Civ 2 I'd rather play Colonization (the original, not the terrible new one) or Alpha Centauri for my Sid fix rather than any of the other Civ games though.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.