VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe this game came out around 1997-1998 as I first saw it being played on a voodoo-powered PC in a local computer shop. All I remember was these small, round, UFO-like, hovering spaceships (one of which you get to pilot) and a very large, open, yet simplistic-looking terrain.

The game was very colorful, kinda like Forsaken, but nothing like it in terms of everything else.

Any ideas?

Reply 6 of 14, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm afraid it's not that one either. Believe me I exhausted the ufo/space keyword search 😉 Here's something else I forgot to mention. The game was in third person view, could be played in D3D mode and iirc you started at dusk so the colored lights glowed beautifully.

Reply 9 of 14, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It could be Lander, but it doesn't have UFO's, rather lunalander type of craft.
Or... it could be one of the Descent games, if it's 1998 with D3D it might be Descent 3. Forsaken was based on Descent.

Reply 11 of 14, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, no and no. It was a very simple-looking game, the ones mentioned here so far appear very complex. Just shiny colors, plain landscapes and small, round, hovering objects. Not exactly classic flying saucers because they were barely hovering a few "feet" in the air, not really flying across the screen.

My cousin actually remembers that one, but not anymore than I do. He also mentioned he had it on one of those demo CD's bundled with PC magazines, so I know at least it was something meant to reach the public and not a private tech demo from some company.

Reply 14 of 14, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't remember exactly what you had to do, that's one of the problems, but after seeing the screenshots I can safely discard Scorched Planet. Thanks for trying, though.