VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This may interest some of you.

As we all know, all of the old i/o devices are being phased out (PCI, parallel and serial, PS/2, IDE and Floppy) and even though this makes perfect sense from most standpoints, there are a very few reasons why anyone would want these legacy ports to be present on a as new motherboard as possible.

My reason for looking for one is as a replacement/upgrade for my offline database computer.

Short background story: About 3 1/2 years ago I build my very first new fastest rig to succeed the P3-1000 that was at that time my main computer, I call it my offline database.
This computer is where I keep everything digital that I want to keep, manuals, drivers, ISO's of Windows media, LOTS and LOTS of random information I found on the net including a full copy of th99, countless forum threads with interesting tidbits of information related to virtually anything, patches, a couple full games + 3rd party downloads.

Of course for such a rig I wouldn't need the fastest computer on the planet, a single core would suffice except for using Virtual PC perhaps.

But there was one problem for me: I specifically wanted a motherboard with an onboard FDC because I'm using WinImage for creating images for the use of my retro rigs, and it has to support the 2.88MB floppy drive. As I've not found any USB floppy drive which can be modded with a 2.88 floppy drive (and because having one directly on board is much more convenient) I wanted a modern board with the onboard FDC.
My preference was AM3, as this way I could buy 2x4GB DDR3 memory, use these to replace the 2x2GB DDR3 sticks I have in my main rig (which is basically my gaming/internet rig) and then use the 2 2GB modules for the offline database rig.

Of course modern websites often have very convenient search options, but the problem for me was they nowdays omit a search option to filter by FDC, so I had to do some creative googling in order to find something.
After doing a lot of looking around I found 1 board that may be (or perhaps even is) the most modern motherboard that still has the onboard FDC:

The MSI 870A-G54
The funny (worrying?) thing is, the picture does include both IDE and FDC (I counted 17 pins in a row, x2 makes 34 😀) but the specs page on the MSI website (link here) doesn't mention the floppy connector. Perhaps it's only included in some of these boards?

Anyway, my guess is that Asrock may also have a couple modern motherboards in their assortment that include an onboard FDC, but I haven't checked that yet. I'm thinking Asrock as Asrock seems to produce the most retro-friendly boards atm.

Why I'm typing this? Dunno, maybe it's of some help to someone? 😉

Anyway, feel free to speak out your thoughts! 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1 of 27, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about getting a Catweasel PCI floppy controller instead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_Computers_Catweasel

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
megatron-uk wrote:

How about getting a Catweasel PCI floppy controller instead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_Computers_Catweasel

Because they cost more then the motherboard, a single PCI catweasel will still not let me use more modern motherboards as PCI is also disappearing and the second reason for wanting to upgrade is for improved SATA support, as it needs to be much bigger then the 400GB one which I currently use, and is completely filled up (mine has an old VIA sata1 controller which may not even work with SATA2 drives).

Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 27, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn't say anything about it on the site, but if you look at the manual for that MSI board, it does mention the floppy controller, with support for one drive, including everything from 360K to 2.88MB.

Reply 4 of 27, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's pretty interesting, it's really new too. Even has USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/S! And on Newegg it does say Floppy connector as well in the pictures. That's a pretty good way to pay tribute to the end of PCI (it has 3 ports), PS/2, floppy, IDE, and serial ports. (And here I was trying to make just a floppy machine just to say goodbye to that one obsolete device).
EDIT: I looked at the catweasel card myself for the floppy machine and I have to agree that it's a little pricey at the moment, but I'm sure we're all going to be kicking ourselves later for not getting it. 🤣

Reply 5 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nemesis wrote:

I looked at the catweasel card myself for the floppy machine and I have to agree that it's a little pricey at the moment, but I'm sure we're all going to be kicking ourselves later for not getting it. 🤣

I've thought about buying one but frankly, any board that has a PCI slot typically already has an onboard FDC and virtually all boards that lack onboard FDC (be it VLB Socket 3 or AM3) will also lack PCI.
Too costly for what I get in return.

Old Thrashbarg wrote:

It doesn't say anything about it on the site, but if you look at the manual for that MSI board, it does mention the floppy controller, with support for one drive, including everything from 360K to 2.88MB.

Does anyone know when onboard FDC's stopped working with 2 floppy drives btw?

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 27, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't serial and parallel been dead for a long time already? I can't even remember the last time I plugged anything into one of those ports. Everything is USB or wireless now. Dedicated floppy controllers I can also see doing away with. My floppy drive connects to an internal USB port, so a dedicated floppy header just wastes space on the motherboard. I also can't see why anyone would want to keep IDE on a modern motherboard when SATA is so much faster. PCI is also outdated when they can put PCIe x1, x4, or x8 slots and use faster devices than PCI can handle.

Reply 7 of 27, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think boards mostly went to single floppy support about 6 or so years ago. I know some (but not all) Intel 9xx and Nforce4 based boards still supported two, but I don't recall having seen any newer than that...

Reply 8 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I think boards mostly went to single floppy support about 6 or so years ago. I know some (but not all) Intel 9xx and Nforce4 based boards still supported two, but I don't recall having seen any newer than that...

Aw gawd...I don't like NForce...I don't like it's hot running chipsets!

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 27, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yeah? Well mabye you don't live far enough north and have to little room too have your computer seperate from your space heater! 🤣

Reply 11 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nemesis wrote:

Oh yeah? Well mabye you don't live far enough north and have to little room too have your computer seperate from your space heater! 🤣

Lol, it's actually been a pretty hot year here in The Netherlands so far, but the thing is, NF chipsets often require active cooling, which I don't like. One more source of noise and 1 more thing that can go wrong, including when I buy NF second hand.

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 27, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Nforce4 really doesn't put out all that much heat, it's just that most boards were equipped with woefully inadequate heatsinks due to clearance issues. The Intel chipsets of the same era got quite roasty too, but the difference is that they usually had some pretty beefy passive coolers attached to them. Attach the same size passive cooler to an Nforce and it'll run just as cool... the trouble is, it'll usually be in the way of installing a video card due to the Nforce board layouts.

I think a much more appropriate reason to hate Nforce chipsets is the incredibly screwed up PCI implementation on 'em. Most sound cards don't work properly on Nforce4, and I had problems with a couple SCSI controllers as well.

Reply 13 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

the trouble is, it'll usually be in the way of installing a video card due to the Nforce board layouts.

This is exactly what I found out when trying to install a large passive northbridge chipset cooler I salvaged from another board, the AGP card was getting blocked -_-
n1 NV...but I'm more of an AMD fanboy anyway (though Tualatin rocks! 😁)

Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I think a much more appropriate reason to hate Nforce chipsets is the incredibly screwed up PCI implementation on 'em. Most sound cards don't work properly on Nforce4, and I had problems with a couple SCSI controllers as well.

This I didn't even know.

But I'll admit 1 thing:If NF4 is one of the latest chipsets to support dual floppy drives, it'll still get a +1 from me 😀
I'll remember that tidbit of info 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 27, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about an external USB floppy drive. Does that even exist?

I have two nForce boards at work. The nForce4 has a FDC and a physical floppy drive, which I still use. I am not sure about the Asus nForce6 board (I think). I will look into its manual.

I think FDC support is also dependant on manufacturer rather than on chipset alone. Maybe I am wrong and newer chipsets have already dropped support for FDC. At any rate I am still seeing new mainboards with PS2 and older ports. I am aware this isn't the trend though.

PS - I am going Intel next time (after being a loooong time an AMD fanboy). I am thinking on an i7 for replacing my aging crappy performance Sempron nForce4 computer.

Reply 15 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

USB Floppy drives exist, but not in the 2.88 version. At least not that I'm aware...

AM3 boards should offer plenty of choice. Some options from Asrock:

880GM-LE (FDD and IDE)
880GMH/USB3 (same as above)
880GMH-LE/USB3 (same)
880GMH/U3S3 (IDE only)
880GXH/USB3 (both)
890GMH/USB3 (both)
890FX Deluxe4 (both)
890FX Deluxe5 (both)

So the "best" board that has FDD and IDE is the 890FX Deluxe5, which is really a top of the range enthusiast board.

But in general, it seems that most uATX boards (which usually end up in cheap OEM machines) still come with IDE and FDD ports.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

USB Floppy drives exist, but not in the 2.88 version. At least not that I'm aware...

Afaik no external 2.88 drive was ever made, but I modded my own by modifying a parallel 1.44 one with a 2.88 😁
It "might" be possible to mod your own USB 2.88 but I've yet to find a suitable USB2Floppy PCB

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
AM3 boards should offer plenty of choice. Some options from Asrock: […]
Show full quote

AM3 boards should offer plenty of choice. Some options from Asrock:

880GM-LE (FDD and IDE)
880GMH/USB3 (same as above)
880GMH-LE/USB3 (same)
880GMH/U3S3 (IDE only)
880GXH/USB3 (both)
890GMH/USB3 (both)
890FX Deluxe4 (both)
890FX Deluxe5 (both)

So the "best" board that has FDD and IDE is the 890FX Deluxe5, which is really a top of the range enthusiast board.

But in general, it seems that most uATX boards (which usually end up in cheap OEM machines) still come with IDE and FDD ports.

Thanks for the info!!

And where've you been mate?!?!? Glad to see you back! ;D

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been very busy lately. Back at uni as a (very) mature age student and it has been quite rough so far. I do read most posts, but simply don't have much time to contribute at the moment...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Been very busy lately. Back at uni as a (very) mature age student and it has been quite rough so far. I do read most posts, but simply don't have much time to contribute at the moment...

Uni is important, good luck!!!

And anyway, feel free to read and post in your spare time, whenever you have any! 😁

Report spammers here!