VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, how did people not shoot themselves when ms-dos games were all there was? I just spent thirty minuets trying to find out why the sound was no longer working on doom, I had to re run the setup and set the sound, I didn't do that until about twenty-nine minuets in. I was really thought it was a windows config file problem. I am coming to hate/love these things.

Reply 4 of 9, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was all most of us had back then. But I really don't remember computers being so problematic back then either.

Lies1 All lies! There were plenty of problems relating to older computer gaming.

Reply 5 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you play DOS games inside windows you optentially double the issues you can run into.

Back in the day, most issues related to memory configuration (EMS, XMS, enough memory) or because you tried to save some money and purchased "100% compatible gear" instead of the original stuff.

And of course, the good old RTFM / readme issue...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 9, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually enjoyed fiddling with the computer and making stubborn DOS games work. v:)v
Fiddling with the sound setup is usually the first thing I tried. Some games could be a bit temperamental about their sound config.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 7 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I feel your pain, I have an AWE32/Ultrasound/Roland combo of death and as an ebay seller once so-accurately commented to me, "Man, you must have gone through IRQ hell to get that setup to work!" I still do travel through DMA purgatory occasionally. 😜 I cheated though, I ended up setting the Gravis jumpers to 250 and the AWE32 to it's default 220 via CTCM. The Sound Canvas I hooked up to the Blaster's joystick port with Midi cables. The only problem: I ran out of wall sockets and surge protectors.

My thoughts turn to Peter Venkman- "Don't shut it off!" 🤣

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 8 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosquest wrote:

Okay, how did people not shoot themselves when ms-dos games were all there was?.

Brings back memories...doing all kinds of stuff with edit.com was it I think. All kinds of tricks my friend had to do so I could play it 😁

Good thing my first computer was a Windows 98FE rig, at least you'd get a BSoD for no apparent reason and had to reset praying to god it would not happen again...L O L

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosquest wrote:

Okay, how did people not shoot themselves when ms-dos games were all there was? I just spent thirty minuets trying to find out why the sound was no longer working on doom, I had to re run the setup and set the sound, I didn't do that until about twenty-nine minuets in. I was really thought it was a windows config file problem. I am coming to hate/love these things.

What's really fun is spending hours trying to get a particular game to work then when you finally do you find out you broke the system for some other game. 😮