VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 37, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was "Warcraft Special Edition" that came part of the Creative Wave Blaster II Game Pak. As far as I can tell, it sits in between the Warcraft shareware and the full thing. It looks to me that it is really a full blown Warcraft but stripped of a few levels yet have much more levels than the shareware version. There's even the FMVs in it too, which the shareware doesn't have.

The WB2 also came with Descent Destination Saturn. I never really played it as I wasn't really a Descent fan, but the license agreement/readme does say it isn't shareware. So it might be like the Warcraft also. I don't know anything about it!

Reply 21 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, OEM editions were common back then to do that kind of thing. Descent 2 and 3 also had crippled OEM versions (I have one from a Stealth 3D 2000, and one from a 3dfx gamepad)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 22 of 37, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Yeah, OEM editions were common back then to do that kind of thing. Descent 2 and 3 also had crippled OEM versions (I have one from a Stealth 3D 2000, and one from a 3dfx gamepad)

Those were the good old days when you could build a computer and your software library at the same time. I remember I wouldn't buy a piece of hardware back then unless it came with bonuses included. Too few companies do that anymore.

Reply 23 of 37, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember the Lemmings 2 demo featured some rather clever concepts that didn't make it into the full game. It only featured two tribes – Circus and Medieval – but they had distinctive Armageddon animations instead of the same everything-becomes-an-Exploder like in the original Lemmings. I guess some people found the old way to have its own charms, but I think the full version could have used some more touches to make the tribes more distinctive.

Gemini000 wrote:

In the shareware version of One Must Fall 2097, since you can't select Raven to play as, he's been turned into the final boss and given a substantial boost in stats, thus hiding the nature of the ACTUAL final boss.

The early beta version of OMF ditched the robots entirely, but I guess that doesn't really count as a "demo".

Reply 25 of 37, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

I'm going to resist the urge to make a fart joke, but what exactly are ASS timbres? 🤣

So is the 1.2 version using OPL3 and 1.3 using OPL2? Or are they using some sort of different 'library' or 'bank' of FM synth timbres?
I've always wondered what the reasons for the change was.

I know of a photo that would go perfect with the ass timbres thing but I'd probably get banned for linking it. 🤣

Reply 27 of 37, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think if you buy a game based on the demo that was released and it differs considerably from the demo you played, then you should be entitled to ask for your money back if you don't like it even if it's open. They got you to buy under false pretenses. 😠

Reply 28 of 37, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The TIE Fighter demo is based on X-Wing and has different art, music and sound effects. The gameplay is one super long mission. It also has a neat interactive Dodge Neon showcase because apparently Dodge gave LucasArts some money? I got this with a magazine. Came on 2 floppies.

The Dark Forces demo has a Secret Base map with a number of differences from the final game.

Reply 29 of 37, by BR4ZIL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm almost positive that Little Big Adventure 2 also had a demo with a few inaccessible or non existent locations in the final release.

Yeah, LBA2 demo had some locations with diferent positioned enemies (some quite dificult if i recall)

Another game demo thats entirely diferent from the final release is Fallout, the demo has its own city with its own storyline, also many mechanics on the final game are in a more "primitive" state in the demo.

Reply 31 of 37, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if this counts but the Age of Empires: Rise of Rome demo campaigns weren't in the retail version (and frankly I found them to be more fun to play than the retail's campaigns).

Reply 33 of 37, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The game Urban Assault published by microsoft 1998
Missions from the demo version (First Blood, Raging Steel and Sturmfront) are not included in the full version.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 34 of 37, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Left 4 Dead beta (which unfortunately is no longer available) had completely different graphics in the levels that were much more realistic and darker, different sounds, different reload animations, Louis was a bum, and Francis was fat.

Reply 36 of 37, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

El-Fish demo came with a unique preset fishtank that used the game's distinctive logo as decor. You could, however, "transplant" it into the full version without trouble.

Reply 37 of 37, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a video of the L4D beta http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJAr-yo-z94 it's quite different in general. I remember it being quite so, and I put a ton of hours into this game (like 4k).