VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just found out I can't log into my account on cpu-world anymore (the opera don't-forget thingy has forgotten) and (Yes, you can see it coming) of course I lost the password of the email address I used to register over there as well! -_-

Why am I writing this? Dunno, maybe I'm just ranting, but I'm also kinda posting this so others from over there can see that it's not a hoax or anything.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 16, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess that means you don't have 1 password for everything...

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 3 of 16, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣! I'm with you on that one. I had the same thing happen on my PS3 account and it took forever to get it fixed thanks to the hacker... "Remember Me" feature gets amnesia sometimes I guess 🙁 .

Reply 5 of 16, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Generally I don't use the same password for everything, but I limit myself to 5 different ones max.

And within those 5 I use different variations of the same password (i.e. one or two different characters or numbers). As long as I can remember every combination it's fine. I don't ever write them down anywhere either; just only keep it orally amongst trusted family members. But I did forget the one to my banking account once and it was quite a hassle to reset.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 6 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It happened to me, several times. I mostly use one password, although sometimes I change it a bit. That's why I made backups of Firefox user settings folder from time to time.

This time I forgot how to enter one of my bank accounts. 😁

Reply 7 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

I guess that means you don't have 1 password for everything...

Nope 😁

eL_PuSHeR wrote:

It happened to me, several times. I mostly use one password, although sometimes I change it a bit. That's why I made backups of Firefox user settings folder from time to time.

How do you do that?

And I alsways write them down...and guess what happened to the scrap of paper I write it down on 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You guys do know that Firefox doesn't encrypt the passwords unless you change a setting? (Unless that's been changed in the newer versions).

It'd be a simple matter to have malware upload the file that contains the unencrypted passwords (although a keylogger would work just as well)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But unless your security is compromised, will it be important if the password is encrypted or not?

Btw, the really important passwords I always type in manually 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 16, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've forgotten ALL of my important passwords, except for one:

http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

I only remember this one password (although, to be honest, is not a password, but a passphrase), which I also have written down in paper in several "secret" places at home (the same places where I hide all the drugs! 😜

I email the .psafe3 file to myself from time to time, to have it backed up by Google's gmail servers.

It's a bit of a hassle, but it keeps me relatively secure, while at the same time avoids the problem of forgotten passwords.

Reply 13 of 16, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I forgot the EEPROM code to an old Xbox hard drive that I wanted as an external HD, and now it's a useless, fancy paperweight.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 14 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never forgot the password to my mobile phone though, was the model number of the motherboard my friends's old computer 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 16, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you use different usernames everywhere you go, forgetting them is always inevitable. I have ran into that problem many times in the past.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem