First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://cgi.ebay.com/300565859197

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1 of 14, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome! I wonder how much those will go for?

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 3 of 14, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't even fathom how high that's going to go, but if it means he's getting back into game music, I hope it goes for a lot 😀. What is that card any ways? I can't find another one like it.

Reply 4 of 14, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is that card any ways? I can't find another one like it.

It's just what it says on the cards, packaging and description... a Digital Audio Labs CardD Plus package. It's an old digital recording card, stereo in/out with the additional card for SPDIF I/O. Nothing more, nothing less. Supposedly quite good for the intended task, but they're nothing particularly rare or interesting outside of the fact that those particular ones were owned by a famous guy.

Reply 6 of 14, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

What is that card any ways? I can't find another one like it.

It's just what it says on the cards, packaging and description... a Digital Audio Labs CardD Plus package. It's an old digital recording card, stereo in/out with the additional card for SPDIF I/O. Nothing more, nothing less. Supposedly quite good for the intended task, but they're nothing particularly rare or interesting outside of the fact that those particular ones were owned by a famous guy.

That demystifies it for me, thanks 😀.

I guess my search terms were bad as I kept getting home level cards when I searched for said card, and with the name "Digital" I was half tempted to dream perhaps they were related to deal old DEC. But no DEC.

Reply 8 of 14, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

THAT is EXTREMELY COOL!

Hehe, he said that's what he used to "master and record" Grabbag... I'm wondering if he's refering to the Redbook Audio track on the Atomic/Platinum Duke 3D CD, and also wonder what MIDI hardware was used to synthesize that audio track?

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 9 of 14, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm pretty sure he used the Roland Sound Canvas SC-88 or 88pro for that Grabbag track.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 10 of 14, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote:

I'm pretty sure he used the Roland Sound Canvas SC-88 or 88pro for that Grabbag track.

That's what I was thinking as well, but I've never heard (read about) a definitive answer from him on the subject.

One thing I know for sure though... the *original* MIDI file that he used to record that Redbook Audio track (an extended version of Grabbag) is long since gone; I've asked him (as well as Joe Siegler) about it long ago <grin>.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 11 of 14, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow only went for $100.... I shoulda bid on these 🙁

As for Jackson's cards, I remember reading somewhere that he composed his music for apogee/3dr using a Gravis Ultrasound. Can't find it now though.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 12 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

wow only went for $100.... I shoulda bid on these 🙁

As for Jackson's cards, I remember reading somewhere that he composed his music for apogee/3dr using a Gravis Ultrasound. Can't find it now though.

It looks to me by the timing of the sale that he was banking on the release of DNF to boost the bids but the plan backfired. I hope the buyer isn't planning on making an insane profit on this because if the man himself couldn't get more than $100 for them at the release of a new Duke Nukem game, they'll probably never be worth more than that.

Reply 13 of 14, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

I dunno about all of his other stuff, but I'm sure that the Redbook Audio track on the Atomic/Plutonia Pack CD (an extended version of "Grabbag") isn't a GUS.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel