VOGONS

Common searches

DEC 486 find

Topic actions

First post, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Once again I put on my suit of armor and went digging into my closet for no reason but to test the limits of humanity. I didn't bring enough rations so I might have eaten a few computer chips along the way. I think I started this post for a reason though... Oh yeah, I found a computer sitting in there that I have no idea where it came from. Honestly I have no clue it was ever there. Any thoughts? Looks like it's a dual CPU board, but I'm not sure if it would even use the 2nd chip effectively. But I'm getting ahead of myself again.
dsci0001aq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Aaaannnnddd...
dsci0002ku.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Oh yeah, this looks like the right page for it: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/D/DI … 6-DECPC-LP.html

Reply 1 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't know about that one but found an interesting pic of one from a Gateway for comparison.

Dual-486-Motherboard.jpg

You would need a serious OS to run with any dual 486 motherboard, though, as no consumer version of Windows does anything with dual processors so any vision you might have had of this being the basis of the ultimate 486 gaming rig are now destroyed. 😁

Reply 2 of 10, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd probably need Linux or some (true) workstation OS to take advantage of 2 CPUs, at least that's what I was thinking when I said I wasn't sure if it would effectively use them. If only there were a way to tie them in as 1 CPU for windows 😉 .
I like the Gateway one due to it's lack of riser card and the presence of VLB. But I like the DEC for it's PS/2 mouse and keyboard connectors... and it's serial and parallel... and the fact that it's not a Gateway (pretty much everyone I knew growing up had a lot of bad experiences with the older Gateway machines). As far as vision of the ultimate 486, I'd say I'd probably be building that around either a Shuttle HOT-433 or an Asus SP3, if I ever could get my hands on one for anything that even resembles a reasonable price.

Reply 3 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The DECpc LP is not a dual CPU system. You can only use one CPU at a time, and you switch between the sockets by way of these three jumpers on the daughtercard:

k6xbq.jpg

I guess the idea was that you could upgrade to a new CPU without having to wrangle the old one out. A bit of a strange approach to the issue, for sure, but all of their x86 systems were a bit... odd.

I like the Gateway one due to it's lack of riser card and the presence of VLB.

What do you really need VLB slots for, though? The DEC machine already has a decent onboard VLB video setup (at least once you put in the extra 512K VRAM), and I think the IDE is on VLB too. And since it's already got all the other I/O stuff onboard, the only thing that'd really need to be added would be a sound card... and you have the ISA slots for that.

Reply 4 of 10, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:
The DECpc LP is not a dual CPU system. You can only use one CPU at a time, and you switch between the sockets by way of these th […]
Show full quote

The DECpc LP is not a dual CPU system. You can only use one CPU at a time, and you switch between the sockets by way of these three jumpers on the daughtercard:

k6xbq.jpg

I guess the idea was that you could upgrade to a new CPU without having to wrangle the old one out. A bit of a strange approach to the issue, for sure, but all of their x86 systems were a bit... odd.

I like the Gateway one due to it's lack of riser card and the presence of VLB.

What do you really need VLB slots for, though? The DEC machine already has a decent onboard VLB video setup (at least once you put in the extra 512K VRAM), and I think the IDE is on VLB too. And since it's already got all the other I/O stuff onboard, the only thing that'd really need to be added would be a sound card... and you have the ISA slots for that.

That's... interesting. The slot 1 and socket 370 motherboards which were uniprocessor only boards made sense to me, but this does not. Since both of those sockets are identical, it seems like overkill to have two identical sockets on the board. Then again, if one were to make some jumper wires and bring them to the front panel, that might mean it could be the ultimate 486 gaming motherboard. Forget turbo, you've got two cpu's to choose from (but if you forget to power down the box before switching, bad things will happen).

Does that DEC board throw a fit if a normal PC compatible ISA card gets installed though? That could hamper things a bit. I've never been lucky enough to get near anything DEC made so I haven't got a friggin clue 😀. [/i]

Reply 5 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Don't know about that one but found an interesting pic of one from a Gateway for comparison. […]
Show full quote

Don't know about that one but found an interesting pic of one from a Gateway for comparison.

Dual-486-Motherboard.jpg

Wow, I have 2 boards edit:somewhat endedit similar to this one, except both are Alpha...and both won't even post 🙁
Ah....well atleast they look nice...or something

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 10, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
sliderider wrote:
Don't know about that one but found an interesting pic of one from a Gateway for comparison. […]
Show full quote

Dual-486-Motherboard.jpg

Wow, I have 2 boards edit:somewhat endedit similar to this one, except both are Alpha...and both won't even post 🙁
Ah....well atleast they look nice...or something

Alpha!!!

Hells yeah. You can get Linux to run on them. Well, if they worked you could.

Reply 7 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does that DEC board throw a fit if a normal PC compatible ISA card gets installed though?

Nah, other than the strange motherboard layout, it's a pretty bog standard 486 system. IIRC it gives you three full-length ISA slots to play with.

Reply 8 of 10, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What do you really need VLB slots for, though?

Options... I like options. However useless they may be.

The DECpc LP is not a dual CPU system.

Thank you for that information. It still gives me some ideas where it might be even more useful than a dual cpu unit... well.. kinda. For example the switch option to beat turbo.
By the way, I don't even have the rest of the equipment to boot this up yet... I'm too lazy to dig around anymore for them at the moment. It might not even work.
As a side note, I love Alpha although I didn't get to do much with their technology.
I know someone that used to work with various Cray and Alpha supercomputers and workstations from the 80s into the 90s. He hated comming home to his PC because it was so much slower (he wasn't much of a gamer).

Reply 9 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After a bit of scouring in the depths of the HP/Compaq site, I managed to turn up a service manual for the thing... it gives all the jumper settings and such.